ProcessWire and Google Cloud (Google App Engine)

tpr

Anyone using ProcessWire with Google Cloud?

We're in the middle of setting things up and it would be great if someone could share his experiments. I'm totally new to GC so most things sound like a rocket science to me, though what I understood is that PW should be "containerized", that is, moving session, cache, logs, etc out of the "site" directory (but I may be wrong). This could be achieved by overwriting paths in $config but haven't looked at it in detail.

I know that there's a bitnami installer but that's only for v2.7.2, though I neither have any knowledge in bitnami, it just a proof that this could be done.

Any light on this is welcomed.

I think the cache wouldn't need to necessarily live outside the container, for logs I'd rather hook WireLog / Wire::trackExceptions and sending messages to a 3rd party service instead of trying to shoehorn external paths onto $config. Sessions could simply be SessionHandlerDB or a redis session handler via php conf. 

• Like 1

But it's a trouble you won't find a way around when trying to containerize/horizontally scale just about anything. You need to centralize logs, you need to centralize (server-side) sessions or don't use them. If it's worth depends on how big your need actually is to scale horizontally over multiple machines.

4 hours ago, tpr said:

It's about a 10-page (mostly static) website so GC is in this case an overkill. But it would be nice to have a detailed tutorial of using PW with cloud.

@tpr I'm wondering what benefits do you seek to achieve in GC? Could you explain a little bit more?

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

I am creating new web site with 30 language

processwire + google cloud app engine + cloudflare is my solution for fast hosting and cdn

I see that bitnami has lastest version of processwire  3.0.62

https://bitnami.com/stack/processwire

As a hosting Hostgator cloud system is another alternative forme

https://www.hostgator.com/cloud-hosting

What do yout think? Any body uses this system? @tpr @LostKobrakai