Spam comments despite Akismet / Spam auto deletion?

Lars282

Hey all,

I am receiving a lot of spam comments that get not filtered as spam by the akismet filter - any idea why?

Secondly, spam comments don't seem to get deleted after the specified amount of time - what is going wrong?

Thanks,

Lars

I am receiving a lot of spam comments that get not filtered as spam by the akismet filter - any idea why?

If Akismet is working in general, i.e. some comments are properly detected as spam, it just shows that Akismet (like basically all spam filters) isn't perfect. There really is no such thing as a "foul-proof" spam filter. Any mechanism, any test can be circumvented by spam bots.

I can't really comment on (the effectiveness of) akismet since i've rarely used it. But i'm curious about what spam prevention techniques you use on you're comment form? I've had good results with a combination of the honeypot method and timestamping the form to check if the form was submitted within a definable number of seconds. If that isn't working you could consider adding some logical questions (textCAPTCHA). Make your own or use a service like this one: http://textcaptcha.com/why

Thanks, apeisa. I've added a PW security field, let's see if it helps. If not, I'll try adding timestamping as I really dislike the idea of captchas.

@yellowled: Akismet does not recognise about a third of the spam comments, I just felt that this percentage is quite high and should be lower ... ?