Two-sided marketplace for devs/companies with free training on hot tech stacks for the dev. Starting ASAP

usillos

Would you be available for Freelance work on a Processwire site? Starting ASAP, about one week work estimated by me (that is, someone who is not very proficient at processwire, but has 15 years experience programming). We have a pretty good spec. I'm very tempted to do it myself because the API is so damn nice, but I know I would be slower than a decent processwire guy. I don't even know PHP. The site is on a vagrant box, proper version-control, etc. Ideally, you should take care of deploying it too (we have SoftLayer, but we could go anywhere else if it's any easier). If you see yourself more of a designer, but know someone who can deal with the deployment, feel free to ping them. Deploying PHP is also something I would rather not do. It looks easier than pretty much any other tech stack, but I'm sure the devil is in the details.

Details on the site:

It's a two-sided platform, where devs meet companies, similar to hired.com but with a big difference: training.

I want to combine plain recruitment with education. Companies don't have budgets for training (or have say 500eur/person/year)... this is scary because the fast-changing tech world will leave you behind, unless you spend time improving yourself. If the company doesn't spend money on training, then you have to find ways to catch up, probably over weekends and evenings. But companies do have big budgets for recruiting. Everyone assumes that you have to spend money to get good guys, and recruiters charge a good chunk of the first year salary for the hire. Companies budget for this.

I want to get around the fact that there's no budget for training, by taking it from where the companies do have budget: hiring. So it's mostly budget relocation. But there's a clear benefit for the company: they get training 'for free'. And they get onboarding partially solved. It's common to hire someone and the assume that the first month is wasted, with the person getting used to the tech stack the company uses. We remove a big chunk of the problem.

The core 'pages' are Dev, Company, and Course. There are user roles to limit access of companies to developers (for example devs that work for the company logged in). There are courses and devs can pick courses. It's a bit more complex than that. 

Please contact me only if you can start immediately on this project.

The steps:

- You contact me (on this profile, with a pm).

- I will look you up, and if I like what I see, I will send you the spec.

- You review the spec and send me a quote, both in time and in money. I may well be off thinking this is a week of work

- We sign a contract, and you start work.

No NDA silliness. You can open source any part of the site that you consider valuable as a PW module.

We are in Berlin. Timezone : CET. Ideal if you are in town because we could work side to side, but remote perfectly ok.

• Like 8

Thanks @netcarver. Wow, this forum looks like is going to be a keeper. People say good things to random strangers. Am I on the internet?

For a preview of the Work-in-progress landing page: http://codekitt.webflow.io 
I would love to know if the idea is communicated ok. This Mario idea may fail to get the point across. Ignore alignment, designy things... this is a live mockup.

• Like 3

I want to get around the fact that there's no budget for training, by taking it from where the companies do have budget: hiring. So it's mostly budget relocation. But there's a clear benefit for the company: they get training 'for free'. And they get onboarding partially solved. It's common to hire someone and the assume that the first month is wasted, with the person getting used to the tech stack the company uses. We remove a big chunk of the problem.

The core 'pages' are Dev, Company, and Course. There are user roles to limit access of companies to developers (for example devs that work for the company logged in). There are courses and devs can pick courses. It's a bit more complex than that. 

Usillos, just trying to get my head around a few questions

If you're not comfortable discussing it publicly, we can take it offline?

1) If a Dev chooses a Course presumably sponsored by a Company or Companies, is there a catch or an obligation on the Dev side? Perhaps they have an obligation to interview for a particular vacancy?

2) Do the companies for example get to choose or approve a Dev that selects the course?

3) So a Dev finishes a course for example. What next? Job Interview? Or is it before? 

4) Normally a job requires many skills. Most developers will have most but not all. It's probably not realistic for the Company to offer training on all the skills required. Will they decide based on skill shortage and importance? I can't see a company sponsoring more than a few max?

UPDATE : I should scroll down on the website which answers some questions.