File Editor

fbg13

• 10 months later...

@matjazp Just sent in a pull request for your consideration.

I was in need of an admin edit option that would allow me to specify files in the templates/styles/skin subdirectory of a site under development. I therefore added a recursive scan of the templates/ directory to the config options for the root of the editable files.

I also noticed that whenever I used the module to edit one of the files (hosted on a linux server) , git would pick up every line of the file as having changed, not just the little edits that had actually been made. It seems that the post of the file through to the back end was converting all the original linux end-of-line characters into Windows end-of-lines. This makes finding and describing edits made by clients very difficult. I therefore added a config option for you to specify what line endings to use on save (Win/Mac/*nix) so the files show no eol differences and git diff shows only what was really changed.

Small update to the choice of font-awesome icon too.

Thanks for considering!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

What do you guys think about ignoring old backed up versions of modules?

Currently the old versions of site modules that were created by Ryan's PW Upgrades module show up when browsing /site/modules. I am not sure there would ever be a reason to edit these via this module. It might clean things up a little to remove them.

Same goes for .wire-x.x.x and .htaccess-x.x.x and .index-x.x.x

PS I wouldn't want to remove all .* files though in case someone does want to use this to edit the active .htaccess file.

2 hours ago, matjazp said:

@adrian please update to v1.7.2 and check module config options. Lete me know if that works for you.

Thanks @matjazp - it works well!

Just a few things:

1) You actually need to specify "htaccess" in the Extension filter setting as well as the dotfilesWhitelist. Not sure if this should be necessary or not?

2) Should the dotfilesWhitelist settings be labeled "Dotfiles Whitelist" ?

3) You have left in an unused "removeDotFiles()" method.

24 minutes ago, adrian said:

1) You actually need to specify "htaccess" in the Extension filter setting as well as the dotfilesWhitelist. Not sure if this should be necessary or not?

Don't know either. What do you suggest?

2) Should the dotfilesWhitelist settings be labeled "Dotfiles Whitelist" ?

Ah, forgot the label, will fix.

3) You have left in an unused "removeDotFiles()" method.

Yeah, in my language I was "šlampast". Now go on and translate that word :-) I was programming between making a lunch and was like a bee, flying from a flower to a flower...

27 minutes ago, matjazp said:

Don't know either. What do you suggest?

Really not sure either. It seems redundant to have to enter htaccess and then .htaccess in two different settings though. Maybe the Extensions filter should automatically allow files that are extension-only, like htaccess, gitignore, etc. Or maybe there is no need for the Dotfiles Whitelist and any extension that is listed in the Extensions filter should automatically be allowed? I think perhaps the latter makes most sense?

27 minutes ago, matjazp said:

"šlampast". Now go on and translate that word

Google seems a bit confused by that one :)

5 hours ago, matjazp said:

Sounds good. Please check v1.7.3.

Thanks - I think that is much cleaner. The only thing I would suggest is adding a note to dotfiles checkbox to say that you can add htaccess and other extensions to the extensions filter to allow those.

6 hours ago, adrian said:

Sorry - another request - what about the ability to create a new file in the current folder?

5 hours ago, tpr said:

While at it, perhaps a new folder too?

I'm not sure about that. This is file editor, not file manager. If one needs to create/delete/move/copy/rename files/folders etc. then it's better to use ftp manager or some php based file manager, maybe http://www.gerd-tentler.de/tools/filemanager/

2 hours ago, matjazp said:

I'm not sure about that. This is file editor, not file manager. If one needs to create/delete/move/copy/rename files/folders etc. then it's better to use ftp manager or some php based file manager, maybe http://www.gerd-tentler.de/tools/filemanager/

I see your point, and I use PYDIO (https://pydio.com) for that (and sharing files with clients), but my needs for your module are for editing a site when I am not at my dev machine and don't have FTP setup. I think it would be really helpful to be able to create a new file. I don't think I would really ever need a new directory, but it couldn't hurt :)

Let me know if you're really against the idea - I might consider creating my own fork, because this could be really handy to get out of a bind every now and then.

Thanks for the suggestions @Pixrael - I wasn't planning on swapping editors, but I must admit that I do actually like AceEditor (use in Tracy's Console and Template Editor panels). The documentation and API are not great/consistent, but it seems to have the best PHP linting and code completion, at least compared with code mirror. Monaco might be another good option though.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi @matjazp - I discovered a bug when you have blank lines at the top of your file. Because you are using a PW InputfieldTextarea, the blank lines at the top are trimmed, here: 
https://github.com/processwire/processwire/blob/aa1f7dbd4718532896e209d694db0340c2d30067/wire/modules/Inputfield/InputfieldTextarea.module#L119

The problem is that when you save, these lines are removed. This probably won't ever cause any issues, but I don't think it's polite behavior for this to happen unexpectedly. The other issue relates to my new feature in Tracy which allows opening up errors/files to an exact line number - the line number can be off because of this bug.

I actually wonder whether maybe the PW textarea shouldn't do that in the first place. What do you think? I think blank lines at the top should be valid?

If you think this is a PW bug, or if you think there should be an option to not remove them, I'll file it with Ryan. Otherwise, maybe ProcessFileEdit needs to use a standard manually coded textarea.

Any thoughts?

• Like 2