main.inc, url segments, and Wire404Exception()

Jason Huck

I have a project that uses a variant of the "main.inc" template strategy. All templates are set to use a single "main.php" file. That file uses output buffering to include page-specific views and insert them into a "base" template. Generally, this works great and allows me to structure my files exactly the way I want. However, I've found that if I want to manually throw a Wire404Exception, it just bubbles up uncaught rather than being handled.

The 404 handler works fine in instances where I'm not calling it manually, but fails otherwise, specifically when I'm dealing with urlSegments. I'm not that familiar with PHP's exception handling in general nor ProcessWire's exception handling in particular, so I'm not sure how to further troubleshoot.

Some abbreviated pseudo-code to illustrate:

main.php:

ob_start();
include('./views/'.$view.'/'.$view.'.inc');
$layout = ob_get_clean();

ob_start();
include('./views/base/base.inc');
$template = ob_get_clean();

echo $template;

With this setup, if I try to throw a Wire404Exception within any "view", the exception isn't handled, so logged in admins see the error trace, and regular users get an ISE. e.g.,

view.inc:

if($input->urlSegment1){
    // look for stuff...
    if(!$match){
        throw new Wire404Exception();
    }
}

Any thoughts?

Hi Jason, I think it must be related to PHP"s output buffering, which I do not use so sorry for not being able to help more here, but I guess you should examine the way it works on the server in question.

Note that I opted for wireRenderFile() to do the "buffering", that is to store rendered template partials in variables so that the complete page can be assembled later on.

4 hours ago, szabesz said:

Hi Jason, I think it must be related to PHP"s output buffering, which I do not use so sorry for not being able to help more here, but I guess you should examine the way it works on the server in question.

Note that I opted for wireRenderFile() to do the "buffering", that is to store rendered template partials in variables so that the complete page can be assembled later on.

That was a good thought, but replacing output buffering with wireRenderFile() didn't change the behavior.

Got this sorted by moving the 404 page to its own, separate template. In this particular project, I had set the basic-page template to allow urlsegments. The 404 page relies on those as well, to display the original URL while showing the 404 page, so my custom logic was conflicting with the default routine. I'm sure there was a good chance of creating some recursion issues with that setup, too.

• Like 1