sudodo

Can someone explain these DB Name fields etc please

I'm not sure that I really follow this page;

http://imgur.com/a/hCxqg

I've created a database when setting up the server, so I'm presuming that this
is what's being asked for here?

The page linked for getting setup 

http://webdesign.tutsplus.com/tutorials/how-to-install-and-setup-processwire-cms--cms-25509
doesn't really mention anything about these fields.

After trying to use the user name on the server, and the password that I entered
when setting up the mySQL to start with I got the following error (so I had
filled in "DB Name"={some name that I thought up }, "DB user" = {name of user on
server}, "DB pass" = {pass i set up for mySQL});

http://imgur.com/a/cgFKq

After this i tried using

db name; {whatever}
db user; {name of user on server}
db pass; {password for user on server}

This didn't work either, so I'm not sure what I'm meant to put here.

Hi, make sure that db host and db port are valid, I often forget to change db host value if not localhost and receive such an error.

• Like 1

You should find the ip of db host in your hosting or db configuration, ie. when I create a new db on my hosting provider it shows me ip and port to access it.

• Like 1

@Mike Rockett thanks - I don't even know if the DB exists yet - shouldn't it create it if it doesn't? 

I should just be able to enter some random name for the DB Name field and PW will set it up? 

That's not working... 

thanks

Did you set up a new database and user specifically for this ProcessWire installation? If so, you would have had to give it a database name, username, and a password. That is what's being asked for here. Usually the port is 3306 and host is localhost, so that should be good.

This would be different from just a generic MySQL setup.

• Like 1

@thetuningspoon no i didnt - i installed mysql on the server etc and set a password when I did that, but I've not set one up for the PW install. 

I thought that this page is meant to handle that? 

i've done nothing except setup LAMP then go through the processwire install up to this point. 

I thought this would setup the db, I can't find a guide on this part. I don't know what these errors mean. 

I don't know if this is useful 

w0n6uEL.png 

I thought that this page is meant to handle that? 

That page is just asking you for the connection details to an existing database. ProcessWire can't create one, you have to do that ahead of time.

Renobird is not 100% correct. ProcessWire does try to create a db for you, but it does need the access rights to do so. I'm not sure if that's the case for your setup.

• Like 1

@renobird from the page "If the database does not exist, we will attempt to create it", this implies that it should work? And in the setup guide id didn't go through setting up a database for use with processwire I don't think. 

OK cool though - so I need to create a database (anything specific about it?) 

@LostKobrakai yes this is what i thought... So this access is a problem then isn't it? I don't know why the access isn't there? I've followed the guide, is there something that I should check here? 

Thanks

Gah, I meant to say "If ProcessWire can't create one..." Sorry.

My point was that if PW is can't create it, you should create it yourself and then just put in the connection details.

I've always had them created before I get this stage, so I'm no real help here. :P

• Like 1

@renobird no problem ;) It seems i haven't been prepared! 

If you could link me to a suitable guide on what to setup though that would be appreciated, as I've never actually setup a database before D: 

Then I can try with the details made.

BTW - I can't launch mysql from the command line on the server unless I use sudo, I'm not sure if this means anything or not. 

Thanks

If you're doing this from the command line and are already logged into MySQL, here are the commands to use:

1.    create database databasename;
    2.    \u databasename
    3.    create user 'databasename_u'@'localhost' identified by 'password';
    4.    grant all on databasename.* to 'databasename_u'@'localhost';

Replace "databasename" with the name you want for your database.

This issue is not really about ProcessWire, but LAMP+MySQL if I understand it correctly. You can google around, or look it up on youtube, eg:

Edited by szabesz
typos

@szabesz I've installed LAMP already - this is (i think) about the interaction between PW and the server... or something along those lines. 

@thetuningspoon no worries - i was just reading those instructions then they vanished :(

Just now, sudodo said:

@szabesz I've installed LAMP already - this is (i think) about the interaction between PW and the server... or something along those lines. 

At the and of the video, you can see how to setup the database. This is what I found, but you might be able to find better tutorials. I've never used LAMP, but phpMyadmin comes with it, so you can just look for phpMyadmin tutorials.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now