"/site/config.php must be writable" < only works with permissions set to 777

sudodo

777 seems excessive - is there something that I'm missing here?

This is a print out of the /site content;

```
total 28
drwxrwxr-x 6 geot geot 4096 Sep  9 13:30 .
drwxrwxr-x 8 geot geot 4096 Sep  9 13:17 ..
drwxrwxr-x 2 geot geot 4096 Sep  6 10:10 assets
-rwxrwxrwx 1 geot geot 1548 Sep  6 10:10 config.php
drwxrwxr-x 3 geot geot 4096 Sep  6 10:10 install
drwxrwxr-x 2 geot geot 4096 Sep  6 10:10 modules
drwxrwxr-x 5 geot geot 4096 Sep  6 10:10 templates
```

I'm sure that I shouldn't have to have permissions so high, but I'm pretty new
to this.

Here's a shot of the setup that I'm currently going through;

http://imgur.com/a/WkhAX

You can see that the error (for site/config.php) is no longer there with these
permissions, but they still 'feel' wrong.

Thanks

@szabesz thanks - i'm still not sure though. Because the permissions are not related to user or group it's the 'other' it that makes the difference to me. 

So If i have permissions set to 

chmod 006 config.php

It works alright, but this isn't what it should be i think

thanks

8 minutes ago, sudodo said:

chmod 006 config.php

You mean 600, right? If so, that should be considered to be secure. If others than the owner can manage to write files set to 600 [rw-------], then it does not matter too much if it is 400 or 600, I suppose.

23 minutes ago, szabesz said:

You mean 600, right? If so, that should be considered to be secure. If others than the owner can manage to write files set to 600 [rw-------], then it does not matter too much if it is 400 or 600, I suppose.

No 006 ! :P

I'm not sure why it's working this this though

2 minutes ago, szabesz said:

I see. So you gave r/w permission to "other", in other words to anybody, so probably that is why it does not complain.

yes - but if i set permissions to 660 it doesn't work 

•  /site/config.php must be writable. Please adjust the server permissions before continuing.

During the installation process ProcessWire needs write access, however, after you have installed PW, it is time to be more strict, and remove as much permission as you can on the server in question.

http://processwire.com/docs/security/file-permissions/#securing-writable-directories-and-files

"If the installer populates 777 and 666 permissions, this translates to directories and files that are readable and writable to everyone, which is not a good scenario in shared environments. But without knowing more about the hosting environment, they may be the only permissions that we know for certain will enable ProcessWire to run. In either case, please read on for more details. In most cases you can further lock down these permissions with a little more information."

• Like 3

Ownership appears to be user geot and group geot.  Apache normally runs under another user account like
 'apache' or 'http'.  If you change ownership of config.php to the apache user, you won't need to use the insecure settings allowing anyone to modify the file.

By the way, using chmod 006 doesn't make a lot of sense, you're saying the owner and group of the file won't have access, only some other user.

• Like 2