davo

double sort order issue

I've been using a function for some time now which sorts an array by the title of a linked page 'DMC_country_represented' title but then should reorder it by the parent page title to group the pages together.

Recently the order is no longer working and a couple of the list items are out of alphabetical order. The only thing i'm aware of recently that has changed is a core upgrade to 2.7.2.

Any advice welcome please.

function dmc_list($names){

$dmcs = wire('pages')->find("template=dmc, DMC_represented=1, sort=DMC_country_represented");
    $dmcs->sort("parent.title");
    $total = $dmcs->count();
    $items_per_column =  ceil($total / 3);
    $count = 0;    

echo"<div class='row'>";
    echo "<div class='col-md-4'>"; //start the first column
        echo '<ul>'; // start your first list
        foreach($dmcs as $dmc){

$region = $dmc->parent->title;
	    $regionid = $dmc->parent->id;	
            if($region !== $new_region) echo "<li class='list-group-item list-group-item-info'><b>{$region} {$regionid} </b></li>";
						if($names=="names") { 
									$showname = " - " . $dmc->title;
									}
					$link = "<a href='$dmc->url'>{$dmc->DMC_country_represented->title} {$dmc->sub_country->title} $showname {$regionid} {$count} of {$items_per_column} in total {$total}</a>";
                                        echo "<li>{$link} </li>";

if(++$count%$items_per_column) { // this will be false when we are on the last item in column
                        echo "";
                    } else { // this part will run when we are on the last item in the column
                        echo "</ul></div>";
                        if($count !== $total) echo "<div class='col-md-4'><ul>"; // this will start a new column unless we're on the last item.

}
			$new_region = $dmc->parent->title; // why the same variable?

} // end foreach                                                                                
echo "</div>"; // end row

}

This is reminding me of this post: 

Try adding the sort to your selector. Not sure if we have a weird bug going on here. Would be good to know what version of PW @bmacnaughton is running and also if you have the same problem on 2.7.3, or 2.8.x or 3.x

Thanks Adrian,

Are there any issues with upgrading to 2.8? I couldn't easily find what the name space issue is.

How do you mean adding the sort to the selector? I already have one sort there and can't seem to add parent.title

3 minutes ago, davo said:

Are there any issues with upgrading to 2.8? I couldn't easily find what the name space issue is.

There are no namespaces in 2.8 - otherwise it is identical to 3.x. 2.8 is designed as an ideal upgrade for already live 2.x sites.

4 minutes ago, davo said:

How do you mean adding the sort to the selector? I already have one sort there and can't seem to add parent.title

$dmcs = wire('pages')->find("template=dmc, DMC_represented=1, sort=DMC_country_represented, sort=parent.title");

That's what I tried.

But i get this complaint back when viewing the page:

Error: Exception: SQLSTATE[42S22]: Column not found: 1054 Unknown column '_sort_parent_title.title' in 'order clause' (in /var/www/vhosts/dudmc.com/httpdocs/wire/core/PageFinder.php line 298)#0 [internal function]: PageFinder->___find(Object(Selectors), Array)#1 /var/www/vhosts/dudmc.com/httpdocs/wire/core/Wire.php(398): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)#2 /var/www/vhosts/dudmc.com/httpdocs/wire/core/Wire.php(333): Wire->runHooks('find', Array)#3 /var/www/vhosts/dudmc.com/httpdocs/wire/core/Pages.php(216): Wire->__call('find', Array)#4 /var/www/vhosts/dudmc.com/httpdocs/wire/core/Pages.php(216): PageFinder->find(Object(Selectors), Array)#5 [internal function]: Pages->___find('template=dmc, D...')#6 /var/www/vhosts/dudmc.com/httpdocs/wire/core/Wire.php(398): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)#7 /var/www/vhosts/dudmc.com/httpdocs/wire/core/Wire.php(333): Wire->runHooks('find', Array)#8 /var/www/vhosts/dudmc.com/httpdocs/site/templates/myfunctionlib.inc(35): Wire->__call('find', Array)#9 /var/www/vhosts/dud

This error message was shown because you are logged in as a Superuser. Error has been logged.

Adrian,

I think the upgrade to 2.8 may have sorted it. I'll keep testing tomorrow but first impressions looks good.

ta

• Like 2

After a week of testing in 2.8 this appears resolved. I suspect a bug in 2.7 .3

thanks for the help 

• Like 1