General site settings module

pmarki

Hi everybody!

It appears that there's a problem with the new version of General Settings 1.2.2 and PW 3.0.102 (without Lister Pro). Tried to install the General Settings 1.2.2 onto a fresh PW 3.0.102 via ModuleClassName, got an error of kind "GeneralSettings module is required".

Also tried to download and install the General Settings 1.2.2 manually. Now the installation zip archive holds two modules: GeneralSettings.module and ProcessGeneralSettings.module . Tried to install GeneralSettings.module first, it was okay, but it appears that this module configuration has no effect. Tried to use $g_settings->my_setting_name in templates, no effect, $g_settings is NULL. Another glitch: there's no possibility to edit the settings via GUI at General Settings configuration page, could only trash/untrash and reorder them. The only way of adding/editing the settings is to edit the JSON on the same page.

Finally went back to older ProcessGeneralSettings 1.1.4 which works like a charm.

Thanks in advance for the possible debug and corrections!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This has been tested and here are the results:

(1) You cannot install this module from the modules directory – the directory needs to be updated to use the primary module class name, which is GeneralSettings, that would presumably fix the issue, because it would download the whole package, and then install the accompanying Process module, after installing the primary non-process module.

(2) there was an error in the main module, in that it was set to autoload false; it needs to autoload in order for the init() function to load on the module config screen, and consequently load the required JS and CSS.

(3) There was a return statement executing if there was no saved module config data; this would cause the module to appear to not work, as the required JS would never load (it would have worked if you saved the module once). The asset loading was moved above the possibility of return statement executing so the JS will always load.

(4) The only tested admin theme that appears to work is Reno; else things look off... will have to be fixed and tested on the other 2 admin themes.

Since I do not have access to edit the module, i edited my repo and then I submitted a pull request to @flydev

Once he accepts the changes and the modules repository updates, the module should be in a working state. Note that the reason you want to have a separate process module for your settings is so that you can allow access to the settings screen to non-Superusers. The old module version is going to be a problem for a lot of setups where you expect to provide settings to your other admins.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

or maybe we should leave the modules directory as is, and then make the Process module install the other module? I guess that would solve this – so i just need to move the "installs" configuration setting from the non-process to the process...

• Like 1

it always works for me – did you add a general-settings permission and then add that permission to the role you want to have access to the settings? I will also check this on my last install to double check, but yes, it is supposed to work, that's why the module was re-written as a split module with the process.

10 hours ago, Macrura said:

it always works for me – did you add a general-settings permission and then add that permission to the role you want to have access to the settings? I will also check this on my last install to double check, but yes, it is supposed to work, that's why the module was re-written as a split module with the process.

Ah, ok. Sorry, I used an older version. But upgrading seems impossible due to requirements ... 

• 1 year later...

Hello all. I just found about the existence of this module after a few built profiles with a custom settings page and some extra fields added to it to maintain logos, texts etc. I must admit that this seems much more clean to me and would be definitely testing it in my next personal project where I won't care if a user would accidentally add/delete something as I will be the one to administer what I've built.

I see that the module has an ability to add a FieldSet Open/close , however would there be an easy way to add FieldSet Tabs? This way we could group specific options and separate them to a tab?

Edit: I just read an earlier comment of mine about testing this module or @Macrura fork of it so I must have forgot about it with the time ?