Croppable Image 3

horst

Yes of course.

When the module is cropping an image, a variation image is created in /assets/files/id by CroppableImage3Helpers::renderImage method. I want to hook to the method like this to have treatments on the newly created image. Right now it is not hookable. My use case is to upload the image to AWS S3 if I want to make a stateless webserver. I have made the same request to processwire-request for your information.

I think there can be more use cases. One of them always on my mind is generating a small placeholder image for lazy loading.

I think you don't need to hook into this module. You need to hook into Pageimage, doing the following:

• check if the requested variation is available on your AWS S3 remote storage,
  • and if yes, just link to it,
  • and if no, create a new one, upload it and finally link to it.

This is independent from the different ImageRenderingEngines and extra modules.

EDIT:

Have you seen this:

Thanks for your suggestion.

I have tried what you have suggested before. The problem of this approach is that checking remote asset availability needs an extra round trip and that increases the page loading time a lot. If there are many images in a page, every PageImage call would have to check if the remote image is available or not. This is not feasible. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I think of a workaround for handling this module. As page editor will save the page, most likely, after adding new crop, I can hook to page save to sync with AWS S3, although the module does not require hitting save to make changes.

For webapp and e-commerce shops, high availability is critical. To achieve this, one of the approaches is using multiple stateless web servers running in parallel, by keeping all assets and database away from the web servers. In this way, we can add or remove as many web server as we need. Assets can be kept safe and synchronized across all web servers.

I use AWS's Elastic Beanstalk to achieve this infrastructure. The ec2 servers controlled by Elastic Beanstalk will be terminated and rebuilt from time to time, so stateless servers are needed to use this kind of service or infrastructure.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, horst said:

Have you seen this:

Yes. I have tried this module. It is working great with normal file, but using this would lose the image inputfiled editor, and the feature of Croppable Image 3, which I am using in my every project.?

I've never dealt with AWS, and although I'm sure you've searched around, I found some forum threads dealing with similar issues.

https://processwire.com/blog/posts/amazon-aws-now-powering-processwire.com-sites/

^ nothing specific about image-cropping (or images in general), but maybe @ryan has built something which would help you find a solution?

(don't want to pollute this thread, just thinking maybe you'll find some hints or code-snippets...)

Thanks @dragan. I don't want to off topic much too. I am actually forking the module you mentioned to make it a more robust one. I would share the module once it is completed. It will be working silently and seamlessly with other modules. As Croppable Image 3 is my must use module, I just seek any chance that I can make the integration better.?(trying to relate Croppable Image 3 more)

Hhm, so you will have one or multiple webservers with different states of variations, but only the AWS S3 cloud is always containing everything.

What's about your own idea, hooking into $page->save():

• check if imagefield(s) exist in that edited page
  • if yes, compare all image and variation timestamps and upload those from within the last x minutes.

This way, you are completly free to use what ever image tools you like.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi Horst

Possible bug...

When I'm in the popup window which displays the crop preview, there's a sharpening dropdown. If I select None as the sharpening value, the next screen (the Save screen) lists the sharpening as Soft.

It also does this when I set the sharpening to Strong. I haven't checked the others (Medium, Hard etc)

ProcessWire: 3.0.119
CroppableImage3: Latest

@horst How can I add a current timestamp at the end of the suffix everytime a crop is saved? With @adrian's module ProcessCustomUploadNames it renames all image variations so I'm wondering if it's possible to only rename the variations with the suffix we're having in Crop Settings:

So instead of:

my_image.jpg
my_image.-suffix.jpg

We should have something like this:

my_image.jpg
my_image.-suffix-1543078585.jpg

Replacing the 221 line of ProcessCroppableImage3.module with this:

$basename = basename($img->basename, '.' . $img->ext) . '.-' . strtolower($suffix) . '-' . $img->mtime . '.' . $img->ext;

and the 224 line of FieldtypeCroppableImage3.module with this:

$basename = basename($img->basename, '.' . $img->ext) . ".-$suffix" . '-' . $img->mtime . "." . $img->ext;

it adds the current timestamp everytime the cropped has changed but the problem is that variations with previous timestamps are not deleted. @horst can you please help?

On 11/22/2018 at 6:08 PM, Peter Knight said:

Hi Horst

Possible bug...

When I'm in the popup window which displays the crop preview, there's a sharpening dropdown. If I select None as the sharpening value, the next screen (the Save screen) lists the sharpening as Soft.

It also does this when I set the sharpening to Strong. I haven't checked the others (Medium, Hard etc)

ProcessWire: 3.0.119
CroppableImage3: Latest

@Peter Knight, please can you try the following fix manually on your side?

In the file site/modules/CroppableImage3/ProcessCroppableImage3/ProcessCroppableImage3.module on the lines 234 & 235 you must remove the wrapping isset(...) on each first checked param per line!

This

233            // get quality & sharpening from post, sanitize and validate it
234            $quality = isset($this->input->post->quality) && is_numeric($this->input->post->quality) && 0<intval($this->input->post->quality) && 101>intval($this->input->post->quality) ? intval($this->input->post->quality) : $options['quality'];
235            $sharpening = isset($this->input->post->sharpening) && ImageSizer::sharpeningValueStr($this->input->post->sharpening)==$this->input->post->sharpening ? $this->input->post->sharpening : $options['sharpening'];

should become this:

233            // get quality & sharpening from post, sanitize and validate it
234            $quality = $this->input->post->quality && is_numeric($this->input->post->quality) && 0 < intval($this->input->post->quality) && 101 > intval($this->input->post->quality) ? intval($this->input->post->quality) : $options['quality'];
235            $sharpening = $this->input->post->sharpening && ImageSizer::sharpeningValueStr($this->input->post->sharpening)==$this->input->post->sharpening ? $this->input->post->sharpening : $options['sharpening'];

If it fixes it on your side too, I will release a new version of the module.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PWaddict said:

t adds the current timestamp everytime the cropped has changed but the problem is that variations with previous timestamps are not deleted. @horst can you please help?

Sorry @PWaddict, I only can support standard-conform variation names. But I'm wondering why you need to hack the code.

I don't know what the custom upload names module does, but if it does something like striping complete variation names including suffixes, I have no option to help.

1 hour ago, horst said:

Sorry @PWaddict, I only can support standard-conform variation names. But I'm wondering why you need to hack the code.

I don't know what the custom upload names module does, but if it does something like striping complete variation names including suffixes, I have no option to help.

The reason I want to add timestamps in the cropped variations is because I'm also using them as og:image and Facebook will not refresh the image if I changed the crop unless the filename or page url are renamed. So, adding timestamps inside filename is the perfect solution for this.

@adrian's module renames all image variations (normal & cropped ones) and It doesn't affect CroppableImage3's suffixes.

Croppableimage does not use own suffixes. It uses pw cores default image variation suffixes. 

Can you not simply add the timestamp via the options array?

Or what is the part that I do not understand?

Maybe you can give me a variation name as example, show what custom upload names do with it, and what cai3 does. 

Also please tell me when the modules affect the variation names, in which order. 

8 hours ago, horst said:

@Peter Knight, please can you try the following fix manually on your side?

In the file site/modules/CroppableImage3/ProcessCroppableImage3/ProcessCroppableImage3.module on the lines 234 & 235 you must remove the wrapping isset(...) on each first checked param per line!

Thanks @horst
that worked. 

When I set sharpening to none, it was reflected on the final save window.

I'm still getting a slight pixelation on the source jpg but it's probably non Module related. It's hardly noticeable but would be keen to hear if you think it could be.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, horst said:

Can you not simply add the timestamp via the options array?

Can you show me an example how can I do that? On Crop Settings I have "thumbnail,1200,600" so the main variation image is like myimage.-thumbnail.jpg. How can I rename it to myimage.-thumbnail-1543078585.jpg with the options array?

@PWaddict

I may seem a little impatient now, but I still don't understand what you want after all your posts. Please just write down 2 or three variation names where I can see what is and what should be. Otherwise I cannot deal with it any further. (I have three deadlines this week!)