constant admin logout

formulate

Yes, I've read the zillion other threads about this same issue. No, nothing in those threads resolves my issue.

I'm really frustrated. I have 30+ PW sites all running on the same server, all various different versions of PW. They all work fine, but twice now I've had a site that just refuses to keep me logged in. It will constantly log me out of the admin and only keeps me logged in anywhere from 15 seconds to 3ish minutes. I have other PW sites of the same version running on the same server that do not do this. I have no idea why this is happening and I'm pulling my hair out! I've tried everything in the other threads and it still does it. At this point, I'm just going to try re-installing everything from scratch.

Any thoughts or advice on why this is happening?

SOLVED. Ugh, yes something as simple as sessions that I overlooked. I'm running two copies of PW on the same domain and forgot to change the session name in config.php. There was cookie conflict because of the same session names. Changing the session name seems to have solved my issue. I will test and if there's any further issues, report back.

Too good to be true... still having the logout issue, just took longer than normal this time.

How about any 3rd party modules that might "interfere" with the session handling? I know it is a vague idea, but if you have 30+ sites, you can try to compare them to each other in order to figure out what might cause the culprit.

It's a fresh site. The only module installed is markup simple navigation, but it was doing this before that was installed.

I strongly suspect it's because it's running in a sub-directory and therefore I have two copies of PW running on the same domain. I added the following to my config.php to try and make things behave:

$config->sessionName = 'wire2';
$config->sessionFingerprint = false;

However, this doesn't seem to make it work either. I suspect once I move the site out to it's own domain, things will work. PW just gets grumpy when there's multiple copies on the same domain, even though they're in separate directories, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, starting to get really frustrated. I have a client that is upset with me as they can't edit their site. I have tried re-installing the site from scratch with the latest 2.8.x version and it still logs me out all the time. It's become worse actually... now 100% of the time if I edit the home page it will kick me out. What's going on? Why is it doing this? What do I do now? I'm at the point of desperation, I need content updated but the site is broken because of this logout issue. All the other PW sites on the same hosting account are working just fine.

On 27/08/2016 at 8:10 AM, formulate said:

I strongly suspect it's because it's running in a sub-directory and therefore I have two copies of PW running on the same domain.

Sounds like you have identified the likely source of the problem. Can you explain exactly what the setup is with these two instances of PW and the reason for it? Are you following one of the options described in the multiple-site documentation?

If these are two entirely separate installations of PW that both relate to the same client then I would be inclined to place each instance in it's own dedicated hosting account. Then use a subdomain of the client's domain to point to the second hosting account.

Sorry, forgot to state that I had re-built the site using it's own domain. It's no longer subject to the multiple copies of PW issues.

It's something specific to this site and I think I'm starting to track down the issue. There's a broken image in one of the CKeditor fields and it's causing the logout. I'm going to manually remove the image using phpMyAdmin and see what happens...

UPDATE: FIXED! For some reason, if there's a broken (ie: missing) image in a rich text editor field it causes logouts. I haven't tried reproducing this yet from a clean install, but something funny happens when there's an image that's referenced in a rich editor field and it gets removed.

• Like 2