Addition of some items into a Pagefield field via api

AlexV

Hi guys!

I want to import into multiple pages at once the same value of the field, which is Pagefield. I make a selection of pages, and how to specify the page in Pagefield do not know.

Likely this question already rose, but at a forum I didn't find the answer.

Example: Pagefield is called «subway_station» in it I have to choose two out of a hundred pages, called «green» and «orange», as it be?

foreach($pages->get("/district/")->find("district_region=UZAO") as $p) {
echo "<a href='{$p->url}'>{$p->title}</a> " ;
$p->subway_station->add("/subway_station/sub_st_0111/"); // 
$p->save();
}

To save a field you have to use either $page->set("field", $value) or $page->$field = $value.

You should also make $page->setOutputFormatting(false) before making the changes to the page.

I'm not completely sure that this is what you want, but for the interpretation that I make from your code and assuming that all those pages have a template that contains the "subway_station" field, you should be doing this:

// this code will find all the UZAO pages that are descendent of /district/, and add the page "/subway_station/sub_st_0111/" to their "subway_station" field

foreach($pages->get("/district/")->find("district_region=UZAO") as $p) {
  echo "<a href='{$p->url}'>{$p->title}</a> " ;
  $p->setOutputFormatting(false); // this should be after the echo
  $p->subway_station = $pages->get("/subway_station/sub_st_0111/");
  $p->save();
}

I didn't understand where «green» and «orange» were on your code, so interpreted only the code, and left this detail out.

Edit: edited the code above by Ryan's suggestion

• Like 2

Thank you Diogo!

After your edition the code works!

«Green» and «orange» — two pages that had to be chosen in the Pagefield.

For an example: page title «green», and its address "/subway_station/sub_st_0111/", but how to specify the «orange» (with address "/subway_station/sub_st_0222/"), I didn't know, therefore in a code only one, «green».

Tell please, what syntax of record $value. It can be "title" or "id" or "address" of several pages?

Again, I'm not sure I understand what you want.

If you want to add more than one page to the "subway_station" field, make sure this field accept multiple pages in it's settings, and then do it simply like this:

$p->subway_station = $pages->get("/subway_station/sub_st_0222/");
$p->save();
Tell please, what syntax of record $value. It can be "title" or "id" or "address" of several pages?

What $value? I don't understand :)

Thank you again, Diogo!

That's right, I want to add a few pages in Pagefield "subway_station".

To save a field you have to use either $page->set("field", $value) or $page->$field = $value.

$value — I took out the one you specify an example.

I thought that is possible to define a set of pages in shorter way, to list id or title.

Oh, that $value!

No, In this case $value must be a page object or anything that returns one, just like in the code examples above $pages->get("something"), because this is what the pageType field expects.

Only If you would change the value of another kind of field, like "title" for example, you could use a string, or anything that returns one

$p->title = $pages->get("something")->title;
//or
$p->title = "new title";

Just a quick note about output formatting. You always want it on before outputting anything. This ensures that when you output $page->title (for instance) that characters like '&' will get entity encoded to '&', and the like. Whereas, if you were setting values to the page, you'd want it to store '&' rather than '&'. So updating an earlier example, you'd want to do this:

echo "<a href='{$p->url}'>{$p->title}</a> " ; // output formatting should be ON here since you are echoing output. 
// now you want output formatting OFF, since you are setting values and saving a page: 
$p->of(false); // same as setOutputFormatting(false), shorter syntax.
$page->save();
  • Like 2

My favorite type of links recently are like: $p->setOutputFormatting(false|true);

It's true that that's a very nice feature on the cheatsheet. Well done Soma ;)