Mikael Siirilä Photography & Processwire minimalism

mscore

2 hours ago, 3fingers said:

Beside the simplicity of the site I've really enjoyed some of your photos, congrats! :)

Me too; beautiful work. Love that grain - looks like film but I'm guessing not in this day and age?

Maybe clicking the last image on each page could link to the next page?

16 hours ago, Robin S said:

Me too; beautiful work. Love that grain - looks like film but I'm guessing not in this day and age?

Maybe clicking the last image on each page could link to the next page?

All shots are film, developed and enlarged in my home bathroom. A serious hobby I would call it. Digital is so dead ;)

Could also infinity-scroll without page loads...

• Like 1

Does anybody really like infinite scrolling? I mean it looks fancy, but from the usability point of view infinite scrolling is horrible. Just try to find an image on a looooong page of thumbnail listing after you passed it half a minute ago.

On 24.8.2016 at 3:41 PM, mscore said:

All shots are film, developed and enlarged in my home bathroom. A serious hobby I would call it. Digital is so dead ;)

@mscore: Cool! What type(s) are available today, what do you use? The last great improvement in B/W films I can remember, was Kodak T-max 100, 400, 3200 with its so called t-grain, that results in smaller grain grids. The 3200 could be used nearly without light. :)

Also, which film developer do you use? Own receipt or default one(s)? (dilution, time, temperature)

On 25.8.2016 at 8:03 PM, horst said:

@mscore: Cool! What type(s) are available today, what do you use? The last great improvement in B/W films I can remember, was Kodak T-max 100, 400, 3200 with its so called t-grain, that results in smaller grain grids. The 3200 could be used nearly without light. :)

Also, which film developer do you use? Own receipt or default one(s)? (dilution, time, temperature)

Oh this is seriously on-topic. I am old-school. Tri-X 400 + Rodinal 1:50 (20C, 14min). For most recent work etc check https://www.instagram.com/mikaelsiirila/.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 2.9.2016 at 5:41 PM, mscore said:

Oh this is seriously on-topic. I am old-school. Tri-X 400 + Rodinal 1:50 (20C, 14min). For most recent work etc check https://www.instagram.com/mikaelsiirila/.

@mscore: Haha, really, this is old-school: Tri-X and Rodinal! Great. ^-^

So, in 35mm format, I ended up with the T-max films, (around 1985-1995). But I don't like(d) the big grains that much. Therefore I early switched to greater film formats: 6x6 & 6x9cm, 4x5inch, 13x18cm. But my last darkroom experiences with positives are 20 years back, iirr. Films (E-6 dia positives) I regularly developed with a JOBO ATL-3000 (the biggest drum contains 14  35mm films at once) until 2010. (between 2005 / 2010 only for the large formats 4x5inch and 13x18cm). All other and since then is/was direct digital.

Are you not interested in larger formats? The costs for good equipment is very cheap since all in the pro sector is requested direct digital.

PS: your site at instagram is very nice too. My favourites there, besides all the beautiful motives, are the "one breasted lover", the "seal dryer" and the "archival system". :) Seeing all this, I get longing!

Edited by horst
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/18/2016 at 0:39 AM, horst said:

Are you not interested in larger formats? The costs for good equipment is very cheap since all in the pro sector is requested direct digital.

Oh, I have tried and loved larger formats. But one has to focus. I totally enjoyed the Hasselblad 500CM and Mamiya 7 and also explored larger 4x5 format with a Japanese wood camera. But I am restricted by a home bathroom-darkroom. Since my photography makes no money I prefer the costs of 35mm (both materials and darkroom equipment). Also all my photography is candid or with minimal interference making larger cameras and slower shooting an issue. The Leica M is my friend.

Darkroom photography is on the rise again. Get over the longing and re-build your darkroom! :)

• Like 2