Why "Add New" Button does not create a new page on the page site?

Kai

From the usability point, clicking the "Add New" button should 100 % add a new page. We are on the site "Pages". What else should a user expect... I am also very sure that most of the users will not understand the meaning of "bookmarks".

This should be fixed.

Capture.PNG

• Like 1

Hi @fbg13, I have the latest processwire but I do not see this option in the family tab. Probably need to add the child template as you say... 

Howsoever, the feature to "Add (a page)" by clicking the button should be there by default - without any admin tweaks. Because it is natural that if you are on *the page site*, with an add button, that you think "add + page"... 

Well, as said, this is still confusing for users and even developers. 

I am sure there is a better solution. As an idea: Take the basic template (or the first one from the list) when pressing the "ADD" button, as long as it is not defined by the developers. 

The problem is not the template, but the parent for the page. There's no way of knowing where to put that page. But I understand your confusion. In the beginning this button was only visible if you had created the necessary parent/child setup for templates, so at least the one setting it up knew about it and it had a at least a "useful" option to show the user if the button was visible. Now that the "Bookmarks" thing is always available this intermediate step is no longer necessary for the button to show up. I'm also not sure if this is really the correct place for the bookmark creation in the first place.

• Like 4

+1 for hiding the button by default (re-move the bookmark-thing from it)

@Kai: I'm with you. The (unconfigured) button at such a prominent position is not useful. It produces confusion.

But to clarify: the default behave of creating a new page in PW is to select / click on the parent page and select [new] from the popup link list. As LK has said, PW needs to know what page should be the parent for the new page. And now, imagine a site with lots (multiple thousand!) pages and lots of templates and a deep hirarchical tree structure. Do you have it? It would be very uncomfortable to first have to navigate deeply into the hirarchy and have to use the pagination too, before one coud select the parent page for creating a new one. This is the situation for what the ADD-NEW button was created for. Devs can setup template family relations and decide to display an AddNew link for a specific page type there. Now, when an autor / editor need to create a new page of that specific type, which parent is deep into the tree hirarchy, they only need to select it from the big ADD-NEW button and PW does the rest. It is a very fine, time saving, useful and comfortable feature. (when it not is showing up unconfigured :) )

We will add it to the issue list.

• Like 3

• 3 years later...