what do you use to monitor your servers?

bernhard

Mostly using Pingdom and Nagios. Pingdom is for personal projects and as a backup for cases where Nagios itself might've gone down, while Nagios is for anything where I really need a "full-featured" monitoring service.

PHP Server Monitor seems like a nice tool, though judging from their documentation (didn't install, so please let me know if I got this wrong) it seems to lack some features I've grown accustomed to: customisable user groups and per-group behaviour, different actions based on time and day/date, service/server specific actions, SNMP support and/or support for custom check logic, etc.

If you just want to know whether each specific server/service is up and have a reason to avoid hosted services like Pingdom, StatusCake and UptimeRobot, this does indeed seem like a good tool. For most use cases I'd still recommend a hosted solution, mainly because a) ease of use and b) they pretty much guarantee that the monitor itself won't suddenly die without a notice :)

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Sérgio said:

I use https://newrelic.com/ and it's quite nice, even on the free plan (which I use).

Out of interest, which product are you referring to and/or how does one gain access to this free plan? The sign up only speaks of a 14 day free trial, and I can't seem to find this option on their site either :)

I gave their application monitoring a try something like a year ago. Seemed really interesting, but sadly (at least at the time) it wasn't working too well for ProcessWire: knowing that most of my users interact with index.php or that index.php is eating the bulk of my resources wasn't exactly what I'd call "insightful" :D

After trying several SaaS options I've settled with StatusCake (referral) for a year now. They offer free unlimited servers. You can receive an e-mail free (or use several third party integrations) or text (costs a little like 25$ for 100 credits). The only drawback is that you can't select from which location you want to check and you might find the 5 min interval too slow. But hey: it's free O0

Right now I'm thinking of upgrading to get additional 1 minute checking, Locations, SSL Monitoring and Page Speed tests for 20$ a month.

• Like 4

On 8/20/2016 at 6:48 AM, teppo said:

Out of interest, which product are you referring to and/or how does one gain access to this free plan? The sign up only speaks of a 14 day free trial, and I can't seem to find this option on their site either :)

Hi Teppo, sorry for the lack of detail. I'm only using their server monitoring service, monitoring two Ubuntu servers running PHP, Apache, etc. and Wordpress and a MySQL server. I installed it a couple of years ago so I don't remember if the pricing info was clear at that time, but AFAIK the server monitoring is still free, as mentioned in this article of Jan, 12.

I'm not using it to monitor my servers running ProcessWire yet though. :|

Edited by Sérgio

hi @arjen

thank you for that recommendation! looks really great and i like it even more than uptimerobot. only issue is that the sms service does not seem to work with austrian numbers... i created a webhook an 2 different servers and send sms via smstrade.de so thats no issue any more and its even cheaper (0,07€ / sms) :)

i think the free plan will be enough for now but there are enough options to grow in future :)

• 2 weeks later...

I changed my hosting to digital ocean and was facing the same problem, how to monitor my virtual server. Started a small discussion over there: https://www.digitalocean.com/community/questions/alert-notification-when-server-is-down

User sierracircle pointed out his free script (install via SSH): https://github.com/sierracircle/services-checker/issues/1

The nice thing about this script: It will *restart* your apache and your mysql.

Hope that helps too.

PS: Trying out the google docs monitor script, correct link is: http://www.labnol.org/internet/website-uptime-monitor/21060/ If that works, it would be extremely helpful :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey @teppo,

How did you go about managing to configure Nagios to send email notifications? I've been trying to set that up on a Raspberry Pi but need to connect to an external email service in order to send the notifications and haven't quite managed to get that to work yet.

As for simple site uptime checkers, I'm currently using UptimeRobot as well.

Hi @bernhard

For monitoring server status I like to use Munin it gives you a full perspective in one view.

Recently have used Zabbix for monitor and email me if something goes wrong. Is very expandable and has a wide variety of plugins. This is more a System/Network monitoring software. The web scenarios features of zabbix are nice for web projects, web services tests too.

All this solutions are locally installed and not third party services.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bernhard said:

thank you @Francesco Bortolussi munin looks really powerful (and overkill for my situation), but that does not sound very trustworthy?!

I installed the Debian package and has always been very stable.

Perhap's if you download Munin you'll see that is a collection of Perl/BAsh scripts(Plugins) and a demon that make calls to a client.

You could even create your own plugins I think (Never done one).