hettiger

How to cache pages with GET-Params

Hello there :)

I'll start right away: Let's imagine we have a index page: example.com/recipes
This index page is also a faceted search accepting GET params for search query, categories, tags, ingredients, ...

It would be amazing to be able caching this index page to a certain degree.

For example: 
The GET param categories is somewhat limited. There are only 5 categories in total so it would not add too much overhead.
If I could add this GET param to a whitelist and set the total allowed GET params to 1 for example, this would make a great difference in performance.
(If we consider there are main navigation links pointing to the faceted search with one category preselected)

This would result in cache entries for:

• example.com/recipes/
  • example.com/recipes/?categories=cooking
  • example.com/recipes/?categories=bbq

While requests like:

• example.com/recipes/?query=foo
  • example.com/recipes/?categories=cooking&ingredients=cheese

... would not overwork our cache

Is this already possible with core modules? (MarkupCache is not really the answer I'm looking for) Is it possible with Pro Cache?

Of course since it's an index page: We have pagination to consider as well...

30 minutes ago, hettiger said:

Is this already possible with core modules? (MarkupCache is not really the answer I'm looking for) Is it possible with Pro Cache?

Nope and nope, but caching URL Segments is supported by both ProCache and the (built-in) template cache. Any chance you could replace GET params with URL Segments for this use case?

If that's not an option, I would suggest going with the answer you're not looking for – MarkupCache or WireCache :)

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, teppo said:

Nope and nope, but ProCache supports caching URL Segments. Any chance you could replace GET params with URL Segments for this use case?

If that's not an option, I would suggest going with the answer you're not looking for – MarkupCache or WireCache :)

Thank you teppo,

URL Segments would be perfectly fine to me. But it breaks once a recipe has the same name as a category. I know it's unlikely in this particular use case but that's just an example and content managers don't care what you explain to them :-/

I hope there is some easier way to solve this problem.

Anyways, I'll try going the URL Segments route using a regex: ^category-[\w-]+$

Seems the best solution to me right now. If anyone's got a better one please let me know :-)

Just for the record, I updated my post above: Template cache supports caching URL Segments too :)

Anyway, another solution to your issue would be using a structure like /recipes/categories/cooking/, etc. Doesn't really matter whether those categories are URL segments or actual pages, though with pages it would probably be easier to allow your content editors to manage them.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, teppo said:

Just for the record, I updated my post above: Template cache supports caching URL Segments too :)

Anyway, another solution to your issue would be using a structure like /recipes/categories/cooking/, etc. Doesn't really matter whether those categories are URL segments or actual pages, though with pages it would probably be easier to allow your content editors to manage them.

That's brilliant teppo, thank you.

The new regex: ^categories/[\w-]+$

So only a recipe with the name categories could get me into trouble. But that's no big deal.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By MoritzLost
      Cacheable Placeholders
      This module allows you to have pieces of dynamic content inside cached output. This aims to solve the common problem of having a mostly cacheable site, but with pieces of dynamic output here and there.  Consider this simple example, where you want to output a custom greeting to the current user:
      <h1>Good morning, <?= ucfirst($user->name) ?></h1> This snippet means you can't use the template cache (at least for logged-in users), because each user has a different name. Even if 99% of your output is static, you can only cache the pieces that you know won't include this personal greeting. A more common example would be CSRF tokens for HTML forms - those need to be unique by definition, so you can't cache the form wholesale.
      This module solves this problem by introducing cacheable placeholders - small placeholder tokens that get replaced during every request. The replacement is done inside a Page::render hook so it runs during every request, even if the response is served from the template cache. So you can use something like this:
      <h1>Good morning, {{{greeting}}}</h1> Replacement tokens are defined with a callback function that produces the appropriate output and added to the module through a simple hook:
      // site/ready.php wire()->addHookAfter('CachePlaceholders::getTokens', function (HookEvent $e) { $tokens = $e->return; $tokens['greeting'] = [ 'callback' => function (array $tokenData) { return ucfirst(wire('user')->name); } ]; $e->return = $tokens; }); Tokens can also include parameters that are parsed and passed to the callback function. There are more fully annotated examples and step-by-step instructions in the README on Github!
      Features
      A simple and fast token parser that calls the appropriate callback and runs automatically. Tokens may include multiple named or positional parameters, as well as multi-value parameters. A manual mode that allows you to replace tokens in custom pieces of cached content (useful if you're using the $cache API). Some built-in tokens for common use-cases: CSRF-Tokens, replacing values from superglobals and producing random hexadecimal strings. The token format is completely customizable, all delimiters can be changed to avoid collisions with existing tag parsers or template languages. Links
      Github Repository & documentation Module directory If you are interested in learning more, the README is very extensive, with more usage examples, code samples and usage instructions!
    • By Greg Lumley
      Hi! In busy learning to know PW better I'm looking at existing code.
      I have Bitpoets Editorial Responsive Blog as example. While looking through the code I've just found this line in the blog-head.php 
      <link rel="stylesheet" href="<?= $config->urls->templates ?>assets/css/main.css?ts=<?= time() ?>" /> I hope it's not a stupid question but I've never seen this before...
      main.css?ts=<?= time() ?> I notice the main template is empty but of course renders on the front end.
      Using a timestamp really has me totally confused. Can someone explain it to me please. 
      Thank you! 
      Greg
    • By MoritzLost
      Process Cache Control
      This module provides a simple solution to clearing all your cache layers at once, and an extensible interface to perform various cache-related actions.
      The simple motivation behind this module was that I was tired of manually clearing caches in several places after deploying a change on a live site. The basic purpose of this module is a simple Clear all caches link in the Setup menu which clears out all caches, no matter where they hide. You can customize what exactly the module does through it's configuration menu:
      Expire or delete all cache entries in the database, or selectively clear caches by namespace ($cache API) Clear the the template render cache. Clear out specific folders inside your site's cache directory (/site/assets/cache) Clear the ProCache page render cache (if your site is using ProCache) Refresh version strings for static assets to bust client-side browser caches (this requires some setup, see the full documentation for details). This is the basic function of the module. However, you can also add different cache management action through the API and execute them through the module's interface. For this advanced usage, the module provides:
      An interface to see all available cache actions and execute them. A system log and logging output on the module page to see verify what the module is doing. A CacheControlTools class with utility functions to clear out different caches. An API to add cache actions, execute them programmatically and even modify the default action. Permission management, allowing you granular control over which user roles can execute which actions. The complete documentation can be found in the module's README.
      Plans for improvements
      If there is some interest in this, I plan to expand this to a more general cache management solution. I particular, I would like to add additional cache actions. Some ideas that came to mind:
      Warming up the template render cache for publicly accessible pages. Removing all active user sessions. Let me know if you have more suggestions!
      Links
      https://github.com/MoritzLost/ProcessCacheControl ProcessCacheControl in the Module directory CHANGELOG in the repository Screenshots

• By jds43
      Hello,
      I have a search page loosely based on Skyscrapers where I'm parsing a selector with options 'beds', 'bathrooms', 'size' fields. It is working well until I select 'Any' after I've run a search. This is where no results are returned (/?beds=&bathrooms=&size=&submit=). I want it to reset and show all results.
      I hope this isn't too vague.

• By verdeandrea
      Hello,
      I am using ProCache v3.1.8 on ProcessWire 3.0.96.
      Everything worked fine in the past, but today I noticed that the css file serverd by procache gives a 410 error. 
      The file is there, I checked.
      I deleted the cached files, I deleted the css file, I looked into the .htaccess file looking for some clues about this problem but nothing worked.
      The only way i can see my website correctly again is disabling ProCache. 
      Has anyone any clue on what could be the cause of the problem or on what should I do to fix it?
      Thanks!