Switch User Account

Pete

This module allows the default admin - and other users you specify - to login as any other user as defined in the module config. This could be useful for reproducing errors your users can see on websites or during testing, but I would suggest it is used wisely as there are some obvious snooping abilities in using this.

Once installed, you can configure the module to be usable by various members of staff other than the default admin account, as well as define which roles or individual users you will be able to login as.

After saving the config settings, you will find a page under the Setup menu in the admin called "Switch User". Selecting a user from the list checks via AJAX whether the user has admin access (this is a basic check for the page-edit permission as by default the admin homepage requires page-edit to load the page tree) and will either allow you to redirect to the homepage or back to the admin depending on that check.

Download Here

Version History

• 0.0.6 - Initial release
  • Like 14

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey @Pete,

Thanks for this module. Really great to test and a real time-saver. Can I suggest an improvement? I've worked with it for a while and one idea keeps coming back. Whenever I switch accounts I lose my own session. It would be cool if there was a message whenever I switched user and a possibility to log out and go back to the original session. For example:

Screen Shot 2016-11-01 at 10.43.55.png

Thanks for considering.

1 hour ago, arjen said:

It would be cool if there was a message whenever I switched user and a possibility to log out and go back to the original session.

@arjen - check out the User Switcher in Tracy or ALIF - both of these do what you are looking for. 

Btw, not dissing what Pete has done here - his is the most secure option, but I think the other two manage the security implications.

• Like 1

@adrian, thanks, forgot to remember! Once again Tracy to the rescue ;) at least for us as engineers of the projects.

I would also like to give our client access to login as another user, but I don't want to give him access to Tracy. I believe a module like "Switch User Account" has potential on it's own.

For now I'll open the User Switch panel with Tracy.

• 5 years later...

I'm finding that non-superusers cannot access this module, even if they are selected through the module setup. Is this intentional? The two users in question need to handle all the user errors that are reported but don't want or need full superuser access.