404 Page Missing From Admin Page Tree

Jason Huck

When logged into the admin as the superuser, the 404 page appears in the page tree per usual. When logged in as a "site administrator" (a custom role), the 404 page is missing. The 404 page uses the basic-page template and hasn't been edited or altered in any way. Under "who can access this page", it shows the expected permissions (site administrators can definitely edit basic pages), and in fact, if a site administrator navigates directly to the edit screen for the page, it works fine. So it's not a permissions issue per se, it just doesn't show up in the page tree for users in that role. It is a multilingual site, and English is not the default language, in case that's relevant. Any thoughts?

• Like 1

I see, thanks. I wonder if there's any way to circumvent that, especially since there's nothing preventing non-superusers from actually editing the page if they know the link (or guess the ID). I didn't realize the Trash also only appears for super users. I would think that would be useful to other types of users as well.

Regarding 404, there has been some earlier discussion in this issue: https://github.com/ryancramerdesign/ProcessWire/issues/809. In my opinion this is not a very good design decision, but currently this is not easy to circumvent.

Trash is another issue, and for that you should check out Trashman. Allowing access to trash is another design decision I find less than optimal, but luckily Trashman provides a viable alternative for that.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jason Huck said:

I see, thanks. I wonder if there's any way to circumvent that, especially since there's nothing preventing non-superusers from actually editing the page if they know the link (or guess the ID). I didn't realize the Trash also only appears for super users. I would think that would be useful to other types of users as well.

Just change the template of the 404 page from basic-page to a dedicated 404 template and restrict editing via the template Access tab. I honestly thing PW should have a separated template for the 404 page by default.