Aligator (wip)

Processwire Module to render a nested tree starting from a single root or an array of pages.

Aligator is similar to MarkupSimpleNavigation but has a different approach of how to define the markup for your menu. It doesn't assume any markup or classes. It's up to you to define them where needed. It's less plug and play and requires some more advanced knowledge of ProcessWire, as some additional setup and coding is needed. But allows for powerful and easier customization without using hooks.

Aligator uses callback functions to achieve this. Additionally a selector can be used to filter the children for your navigation.

Note: This module is a fun project trying to find simple configurable method to render navigations. It's a work in progress and there might be major changes to how the module works.

See further infos and examples on the repository:

https://github.com/somatonic/Aligator

• Like 21

20 hours ago, Ivan Gretsky said:

Is it called Aligator because it eats hell lot of memory or something?

Jokes aside, why Aligator? Why with the single "L"?

And you know my obsession... Can it render MenuBuilder contents somehow?

No it's powerful and fast and dangerous ...

With one "L"? It's more efficient...

No I don't know your obsession. Well I don't know what MenuBuilder contents are. Why? Does MenuBuilder not have any render functions? Aligator and MSN only work with Pages.

• Like 3

• 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Hi @Soma,

I finally got around to trying this module - it's really powerful, I love it!

A couple of questions:

1. Is there a way to include the Home page in a navigation generated by this module? Something like the 'show_root' option in MarkupSimpleNavigation?

2. If I want to add 'first' and 'last' classes to my nav items (like the 'firstlast' option in MarkupSimpleNavigation) is the following a good way or can you see a more efficient way?

In my callback function I add to the $class variable like this...

$class .= $item == $item->siblings()->first() ? ' first' : '';
$class .= $item == $item->siblings()->last() ? ' last' : '';

TIA.

Had to look more at it again. :)

No there's no such built in option. But there's some ways to do it. 

The first argument not only works with a root page but also with a PageArray.

So you could do build a PageArray, add children of root, then prepend the home page to it and send that to Aligator. All you need to make sure you don't render level2 of home page which would render your menu again if home is your root. Got it? :)

$menuPages = new PageArray();
$home = $pages->get("/");
$menuPages->add($home->children());
$menuPages->prepend($home);

$content .= $modules->Aligator->render($menuPages, array(
    array( // level1
        "selector" => ""
    ),
    array( // level2 : don't render the children of "home"
        "selector" => "parent!=1"
    )
), 3);

Or a more straight forward version is to use the wrapperOpen and add it manually.

$homeUrl = $pages->get(1)->url;

$nav = $modules->Aligator->render($pages->get(1), array(
	array( // level1
		"selector" => "",
		"callback" => function($item, $level) use($homeUrl){
			return array(
				"wrapperOpen" => "<ul><li><a href='$homeUrl'>Home</a></li>",
			);
		}
	)
), 3);

The first last class thingy is not something I really ever use, but if it works for your navigation then it's ok to do it that way. It's just you would be careful if there's lots of pages as siblings. You'd also want to use the same selector you use for the level. Otherwise it would not work as the last sibling might be not rendered as by the selector.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Soma said:

No there's no such built in option. But there's some ways to do it. 

Thanks for the suggestions for including "Home" - I had been playing around with adding a "show_root" option to Aligator but your suggestions are simpler and better.

I made a few other changes in a fork of Aligator that I'll pass on for consideration.

1. I think there is a typo here - should be...

if($return["wrapperClose"]) {

2. I changed the early returns so that an empty string is returned, to be consistent with the @return tag in the function DocBlock.

3. I added a new argument that is supplied to the callback function - a $props array of some menu-related properties of the current $item.

The reason being that these properties are commonly needed to work out the menu markup, and they are already determined within the Aligator render() function - so it makes sense to pass 'is_parent', 'is_current' and 'num_children' as an argument rather than have to determine them again separately in the callback function.

I also included 'is_first' and 'is_last' in the $props array because it is much more efficient to determine this within render() from the $key in the foreach (just like is done in MarkupSimpleNavigation) than in the callback as per my post above. But now that I think about it I don't know that these properties are that useful after all - probably anything you would use them for could be just as easily achieved in CSS or JS with :first-child and :last-child.

4. Lastly, because of the $props argument I override 'is_parent' and 'num_children' in the case of the Home page being rendered. That's because despite the way PW treats Home as the root parent of all pages (there are probably good reasons for this), I think most website users think of the Home page as a sibling of the top-level pages rather than a parent of them.

The commit with my changes is here if you are interested.

Me again. :)

Is there a way I can set options for all levels of a particular menu without changing the default options?

Suppose I have several menus in my site and I have defined some default options for Aligator that suit most of these menus. Now on one of these menus I want to exclude a particular template from all levels in the menu. I don't know how many levels will be in this menu (users may add pages creating additional levels of nesting).

So I can use the "selector" setting for this, but do I use this in the default options or the options for that specific menu? It seems like there are catches either way.

Default options: works for all levels (good), but affects all the menus in my site (bad).
Menu options: limited to this specific menu (good), but I have to repeat the setting over and over some arbitrary number of times to account for all the levels that might exist in the menu (bad).

Seems like there should be some way to set default options (all levels) but just for this one menu. Or am I missing something?

Posting some more stuff while it is fresh in my mind...

I made a new commit here. Changes...

1. Fix for selector not falling back to what is defined in the default options.

2. Allows menu options to be defined for all levels by using "all" as the options array key. Example:

$menuOptions = array(
    // use these options for all levels in this menu
    "all" => array(
        "selector" => "template=basic-page|domain_root",
        "callback" => function($item, $level){
            $class = $item === wire("page") ? " current" : "";
            $class .= wire("page")->parents->has($item) ? " parent" : "";
            $class .= $item->numChildren("template=basic-page") ? " has_children" : "";
            return array(
                "item" => "<a href='$item->url'>$item->title $item->template</a>",
                "listOpen" => "<li class='level$level$class'>",
                "listClose" => "</li>",
                "wrapperOpen" => "<ul class='mainnav'>",
                "wrapperClose" => "</ul>",
            );
        },
    )
);

Setting an explicit array key also made me think of something else that it would be good to mention in the module readme. If you want to set options only for level 3 (for example) it isn't necessary to include anything for the other levels. Instead of...

$menuOptions = array(
    array(), // level 1
    array(), // level 2
    array( // level 3
        "selector" => "template=basic-page",
    ),
);

...you can do...

$menuOptions = array(
    // options for level 3 (array keys are zero-indexed)
    2 => array(
    ),
);

And an issue to report: there is a problem when using Aligator to render more than one menu - the $level variable in the render() method can be incorrect for any menus after the first menu. This is because $level is declared as a static variable, so after the first menu is rendered $level can retain its value when it should be reset to zero for each menu that is rendered. Not sure of the best way to fix that (the whole static variable / recursive function thing makes my head spin).
Edit: In this commit I changed from the static variable to passing $level as an argument to render() and it seems like an okay solution.

• Like 1

Hey, thanks for the input. I was putting my head into it quite a few time yesterday, and messed up something. Took a while to figure it all out today. :) It can get complicated. You refactor stuff, then suddenly it all messed up. 

I commited a new version with some of your input and various fixes. https://github.com/somatonic/Aligator/commit/dc4d8aa19ff665e24aa07ccba65fd3aff0d4e002

The static level I also recognized that it gives problem when using more than one menu. Also the default options now carry over all levels. I don't think a "all" array is needed just for that, since it was the intention to have a default that is the fallback. 

I added a $states variable to callback (third argument) that returns a string with classes for the different states. You can enable it and configure it too.

Something like this was my testing scenario:

/**
 * load Alitgaor module
 * --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 */

$nav = $modules->Aligator;

/**
 * first menu
 * using PageArray for first level and prepend root page
 * --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 */

$menuPages = new PageArray();
$home = $pages->get("/");
$menuPages->add($home->children("template=basic-page"));
$menuPages->prepend($home);

$nav->enableStates = true; // enable states ("parent current has_children first last")
$nav->levels = 3; // set max levels to render

// the default options for all levels
$nav->setDefaultOptions(array(
        "callback" => function($item, $level, $states){
            // $states is a string of item state classes to insert somewhere
            $classes = $states ? " class='$states'" : "";
            return array(
                "item" => "<a href='$item->url'>$item->title</a>",
                "listOpen" => "<li$classes>",
                "listClose" => "</li>",
                "wrapperOpen" => "<ul class='dropdown'>",
                "wrapperClose" => "</ul>",
            );
        }
    )
);

// render the menu
$content .= $nav->render($menuPages, array(
    array( // level1
    ),
    array( // level2
        "selector" => "template=basic-page|article"
    )
));

/**
 * render different menu with default options and using a root page
 */

$nav->levels = 4;
$nav->collapsed = true;
$nav->setDefaultStates(array("is_current" => "active"));
$nav->setDefaultOptions(array(
        "callback" => function($item, $level, $states){
            return array(
                "item" => "<a href='$item->url'>$item->title</a>",
                "listOpen" => "<li class='$states'>",
                "listClose" => "</li>",
                "wrapperOpen" => "<ol>",
                "wrapperClose" => "</ol>"
            );
        }
    )
);

$content .= $nav->render($pages->get("/"));

I'm not sure, there's possibly still something that isn't covered or I missed but seems working fine here.

Thanks

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Soma said:

I commited a new version with some of your input and various fixes.

Thanks for the update!

A few little things...

1. $debug variable has been left behind in the module and may be undefined.

2. The default selector should be an empty string.

3. Wouldn't it be more efficient to set is_first and is_last according to array key like you did in MarkupSimpleNavigation?

In terms of understanding the module, I find the way that $defaultOptions, $defaultStates, $enableStates, $levels and $collapsed are set to be a bit counter-intuitive. To my way of thinking, you only want to set properties to the module itself for settings that are intended to be global (applying to all menus in your site). Because when these options are set as properties of the module they persist for all subsequent menus unless you explicitly change them.

But things like $levels and $collapsed are things that you want to set individually for a single menu - you don't want these settings affecting other menus. So I'd rather be passing these settings in as arguments to the render() method - that way I don't have to keep track and reset them for menus that are rendered subsequently.

Similar for setting menu options for all levels of a menu - that's why I thought something like a specific array key 'all' could be used when passing in the menu options. So I'm just setting default options for that one menu and not affecting other menus.

To be clear, I still like the idea of setting some global $defaultOptions, $defaultStates, etc - but for things like setting a levels limit or setting options for all levels of a specific menu it's less error-prone if these don't affect other menus.

• Like 1