Processwire Core - Possibilities to write your own CMS?

Orkun

Does someone has ever used the Processwire Core to build a own CMS/System? I remember that i saw a post about it, that it is possible to write your own CMS with the core. Has someone ever tried? Would interest me.

I refering to the answer of Soma in this post where he makes assumptions about creating a own CMS based on pw-core since the core is a Framework. Probably my Question was perhaps not correctly formulated. I wanted to know, if someone had tried to build a own CMS based on the pw-core framework.

Sorry for my confusing Question. :D

• Like 1

The only person I know who has fully done it (like @Pete alluded to) is Ryan :-)....He built the 'Process' (/wire/modules...i.e. the CMS/Admin) on top of the 'Wire'...the core...Not exactly what you asked for, but this app by @Jonathan might interest you. Am curious, where do you want to go with this? Planning to build something? :-)...

• Like 1

I think part of the problem is it would be a big job for relatively little gain to build a new CMS on top of the core. ProcessWire's admin isn't 100% perfect for every requirement, but it would be easier to build modules or make suggestions to improve things than create another CMS using the framework provided by the API.

That said, for very specific jobs you could easily build a front-end control panel providing pretty bespoke functionality without the need to tinker with modules and just not use the admin at all. For example, a real estate directory site where you're inviting many companies to submit their data - you'd only want a simple login area, list and upload form and you might choose to do something like that with frontend templates and the API rather than in the admin (though you could do it with both).

I think Soma's post that you referred to is more saying "it's possible to create your own CMS interface on top of the API", not that there's necessarily a reason to do it, or anyone out there with enough time on their hands to recreate all the functionality their own way :)

• Like 2

You can build a lot of very custom stuff without the need to create another CMS on top of the framework. I have about a dozen or so modules that are essentially standalone apps within the PW admin. I know there are lots of others who do the same. Is there something specific you want to build?

• Like 1

I want to thank of all the nice and clear comments. I was just curious about what is possible with processwire depending on developing custom systems and applications. Your answers pointet that out.

• Like 1

I want to thank of all the nice and clear comments. I was just curious about what is possible with processwire depending on developing custom systems and applications. Your answers pointet that out.

This is my honest opnion, I love Processwire very much however there are certain and specific applications that will make it hard for me to do in PW, because it would mean building my application around the concept of Pages, things like this i tend to default to Yii, but anything that relates too Content Management as the focal point, I default to PW.

Yes it can be possible, but i will recommend using the right tool for the right job.