Spellchecking in TinyMCE

onjegolders

Spell checking works in other contexts in Chrome but is missing in TinyMCE in Chrome, so I think the browsers spell checker is not allowed in to the TinyMCE textarea (at least this is what seems to be happening here in Mac Chrome).

Hm, it's true... it doesn't.

There is a browser extension that does. I use it on gmail also and it's good: http://www.afterthedeadline.com/

it disables formatting while checking, but it's recovered when the spellchecking is finished

edit: apparently there's even a version for tinymce! http://www.afterthed...latform=TinyMCE

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Bump, just to say that I did go ahead and install the spellcheck plugin for TinyMCE and once I'd figured out how to add it to a textarea, it seems to work fine.

Two small points,

Firstly, it works on a per field basis (this is probably intended and useful) it just means you have to go into the Field settings for each textarea and add spellchecker as a plugin and a button.

Also by default it is off, so you have to remember to click it on before you get those lovely squiggly lines!

Finally, @Ryan, is this a contender to be included in the default install? I can see it being pretty useful for end users to be able to spellcheck their copy and can't think the plugin adds that much overhead?

You can since latest version of InputfieldTinyMCE add custom plugins from within outside core. It has a field "Third Party plugins" you can enter name and path to plugin , and put plugin for example into a folder /site/tinymce/...

I'm not sure about adding it to the core. Since it also is a browser feature, and the plugin doesn't seem to have localized feature (most important)

• Like 1

Hi Soma,

Isn't that pretty much the same as installing the plugin in wire/modules/inputfield/inputtinymce/plugins?

If you're fine with updating it with every PW core update, yes.

• 10 months later...

You can since latest version of InputfieldTinyMCE add custom plugins from within outside core. It has a field "Third Party plugins" you can enter name and path to plugin , and put plugin for example into a folder /site/tinymce/...

I'm not sure about adding it to the core. Since it also is a browser feature, and the plugin doesn't seem to have localized feature (most important)

Thanks, I just implemented this and it works like a charm.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Anyone else using the spellchecker with TinyMCE that knows how to fix this? I've not used TinyMCE's spellchecker yet, though will have to try it out. 

Mike, if we can't get TinyMCE's spellchecker working, we can switch you to CKEditor with Scayt (spell-checker-as-you-type) which seems to work pretty well. 

That's what I'm wondering too–potential JS errors. 

Mike, with your permission, I'll check your site to see if I can spot anything obvious. Installing CKEditor may be a good idea, but since you and your editors are already used to TinyMCE it probably makes sense for us to try and debug it first. 

• 2 weeks later...

That's what I'm wondering too–potential JS errors. 

Mike, with your permission, I'll check your site to see if I can spot anything obvious. Installing CKEditor may be a good idea, but since you and your editors are already used to TinyMCE it probably makes sense for us to try and debug it first. 

Please go ahead. Thanks Ryan.

It turns out that the default spelling service used by TinyMCE's spellchecker, GoogleSpell, has been discontinued. That's why everyone's spellcheckers stopped working. You can fix it by editing the config.php file included in your /site/tinymce/spellchecker/config.php file. 

Comment out the line referring to GoogleSpell and uncomment the line referring to PSpell or PSpellShell:

// General settings
//$config['general.engine'] = 'GoogleSpell';
//$config['general.engine'] = 'PSpell';
$config['general.engine'] = 'PSpellShell';
Use PSpell if your PHP has the PSpell module installed (you can check from phpinfo). Mine did not have it installed, so I used PSpellShell. 

If using PSpellShell: 

Check that this line (also in the config.php) points to the location of your "aspell": 
$config['PSpellShell.aspell'] = '/usr/bin/aspell';
You can determine the location by typing this in the shell:
which aspell

It will return the path where it is installed. After updating your config.php, double check that aspell works by typing this in the shell:

echo "This file has a misspellling can you tell which word it is?" > test.txt
aspell -c test.txt

In most cases it should work and your TinyMCE spellchecker should start working again. If you get an error, then you may need to do more, like install a language-specific dictionary file (which you may need to ask your webhost to do). 

• Like 2