Better to turn off Pro modules in demo

mikeuk

Ok, first setback in testing Processwire, after 5 mnutes of use. The following is not intended to be antogonistic, just honest. I appreciate I'm new here, but I do have experience elsewhere.

The demo is kind of pointless as far as any gauge of frontend performance while it has ProCache modules and related installed. Uninstall is impossible as Post operations are not allow in the demo.

In my opinion, this is going to put a lot of conciencious developers off. Although I'm sure it wasn't intended to shout 'this is really not free', it does. I don't want my frist experience with Processwore to be with a 'commercial' version, I want to know how it does in it's base form.

I'm not giving up and will contact to ask for access to a demo without Pro modules.

Sad to hear that you're put of by this, but the demo is mostly a showcase on how content modeling is handled in processwire and a peak into the admin backend.

(Frontend)-Performance is dependent on so many factory, that the demo won't give you any reasonably insight anyways. E.g. we just recently switched hosting to a new quite beefy bare metal server, which is understandably faster than the previous one. Would you consider ProcessWire better because of that speed improvement? In the end rendering speed is probably most dependent on what you're implementing with processwire as on the system itself.

If you really want to evaluate processwire by the demo: ProCache is only active for guest users, therefore as soon as you log in as admin you'll not get any ProCache cached content. Also the whole backend interface is not cached as well and really it's just another kind of frontend rendered by processwire.

Additionally you won't need to ask for a new demo, you can install it yourself using the skyscraper installation profile.

• Like 9

@mikeuk: If I were you, I'd be hooked. Such a thorough answer on an insulting 2nd post from a man that does not even sell the paid modules.

When I first found ProcessWire I was really disapointed with FormBuilder being a commercial module. By now I know how to build complicated forms myself, but already got a copy of FormBuilder. I am sure you'll learn to substitute ProCashe with something free like Redis, but you'll probably won't have to do it to get times faster win over Drupal.

Please through at us more of those provocative posts so we can show you one of the best things on the Internet from all of its shining edges)

• Like 2

@mikeuk: If I were you, I'd be hooked. Such a thorough answer on an insulting 2nd post from a man that does not even sell the paid modules.

Did it really come across as insulting? That was defintely not the intention so apologies if it did. For quite a while I was helping out with a popular Joomla extension, and occasionallly learned some things from newcomers / outsiders who noticed things we didn't (especially things that affected the project's first impression). I genuinely felt the demo would make a better impression with Pro stuff not included.

@LostKobrakai, thanks for the detailed response. That's good to know. Fully appreciate a demo is not a good test of frontend performance.

I should also say, had I not liked the way it worked (see my other post), I would not have bothered posting :)

• Like 3

@mikeuk Don't worry :) you are doing fine, don't take anything too seriously. We're all friends here and occasionally like to hit each other with the zen stick, but it's always friendly. The demo site is filling multiple shoes. Sometimes people ask where they can take a look at a Pro module, in which case I'll install it on that demo site since it's already all setup with guest admin logins and such. But LostKobrakai is right that ProCache is disabled as soon as you are logged in, so it's really only there as a demo of the configuration screen. Though admittedly, I do like having it installed there just because for whatever reason people like to scrape that entire site regularly, so ProCache lets them do it more quickly, without consuming too much server resources. I suppose that doesn't matter much now that we're on this new server which has a ton more resources than before.  

• Like 8

Did it really come across as insulting? That was defintely not the intention so apologies if it did. For quite a while I was helping out with a popular Joomla extension, and occasionallly learned some things from newcomers / outsiders who noticed things we didn't (especially things that affected the project's first impression). I genuinely felt the demo would make a better impression with Pro stuff not included.

Sometimes my choice of words might not be the best one, sorry for that. I am Russian-speaking most of the times, so please forgive me. I was trying to sound rather jokingly (this very phrase is partly translated with Google translate, so might not be quite what I was really intended to say either :P).

I have to say that paid modules in demos are something that turns me off too. We, the free open source users do not like commercial modules being pushed at us for sure!  And I remember having a doubt about PW being "blazingly fast" exactly in the same context. Damn, It is still pretty slow on my Windows Xampp. But I like it on the live servers without any cache at all most of the times.

P.S. And you are lucky! Ryan himself :rolleyes: is here on Tuesday!

• Like 3

We, the free open source users do not like commercial modules being pushed at us for sure!

Damn, It is still pretty slow on my Windows Xampp. But I like it on the live servers without any cache at all most of the times.

How do this fit together?  :P:lol:   free open source users and Windows (for a webserver environment)

@Ivan: just kidding :)

• Like 1

........We're all friends here and occasionally like to hit each other with the zen stick, but it's always friendly..........

All good. Did that many times in another place where I was supposed to be one of the responsible ones. Didn't always get the friendly part right though.

Sometimes people ask where they can take a look at a Pro module, in which case I'll install it on that demo site since it's already all setup with guest admin logins and such. But LostKobrakai is right that ProCache is disabled as soon as you are logged in, so it's really only there as a demo of the configuration screen. Though admittedly, I do like having it installed there just because for whatever reason people like to scrape that entire site regularly, so ProCache lets them do it more quickly, without consuming too much server resources. I suppose that doesn't matter much now that we're on this new server which has a ton more resources than before.  

Yes, this makes sense. I don't think all new users are super rational though.

Sometimes my choice of words might not be the best one, sorry for that. I am Russian-speaking most of the times, so please forgive me. I was trying to sound rather jokingly (this very phrase is partly translated with Google translate, so might not be quite what I was really intended to say either :P).

No problem. I did think it might be a joke. You have a very cool alphabet so I can forgive you :)   Ha 3dopovia  (i don't know all the letters - Na Zdrovia)

I have to say that paid modules in demos are something that turns me off too. We, the free open source users do not like commercial modules being pushed at us for sure!  And I remember having a doubt about PW being "blazingly fast" exactly in the same context. Damn, It is still pretty slow on my Windows Xampp. But I like it on the live servers without any cache at all most of the times.

P.S. And you are lucky! Ryan himself :rolleyes: is here on Tuesday!

That's what I think a lot of newcomers might think also.  About xampp, it's always slow. but there was once a memory tweak or something like that that made a difference. I'd need to find it again, if it even still is relavant.

Yes Ryan seems like one of those people that's too nice and too helpful ;)  Where are all the grumpy people?

• Like 3

... Where are all the grumpy people?

They have moved to GrumpyWire and some to ProcessGrumpy because here at PW-Forums are to many friendly and helpful people for them. ;)

• Like 7