prevent hover-click on multilevel menu on touch devices

bernhard

i'm currently porting a clients website from joomla to processwire (finally, it's a good week :) ) and we are using the old design for that. today i recognized that on tablets the menu doesn't work as expected, since the menu structure changed from joomla-chaos to pw-awesomeness :)

the problem is the old multilevel problem when you have items and subitems and want to show the subitems on hover. on touch devices your clients will perform a "click" anstead of a "hover" and they will trigger a new pageload.

i came up with a quick fix and would be interested in your opinions. seems to work really nice here:

post-2137-0-90830400-1464638474_thumb.gi

$(document).ready(function () {
    var menu = $('...');
    menu.find('a').click(function(e) {
        console.log('clicked');
        // early return if the parent has no hover-class
        if(!$('...').hasClass('...')) return;

// prevent click when delay is too small
        var delay = Date.now() - $(this).data('hovered');
        if(delay < 100) e.preventDefault();
    });
    menu.find('a').mouseover(function(e) {
        var time = Date.now();
        $(this).data('hovered', time);
    });
});

• Like 2

i find it really intuitive. it looks a bit clumsy on my screencast because of the mouse but it feels different when you are touching and not pointing. i'll send you the link so you can try yourself ;)

• Like 1

Interesting solution, indeed. But it feels a bit hacky. I'd rather present a different menu layout to mobile devices as to avoid the hover problem in the first place. Something like off canvas or the likes.

• Like 1

DoubleTagToGo is interesting, thanks.. It could be easily rewritten to a non-jQuery version (at least by first look on the code). Downloading jQuery on mobile is too much, especially for users with limited bandwidth (err, for me for example :))

Hi tpr,

... Downloading jQuery on mobile is too much ...

The actual JQuery version has 94,8 KB. I think that shouldn't be a problem today (pictures are usually much larger). Only an inefficient way of using JQuery could be a problem in some cases...

Robert

Hi Bernhard,

read and try his: http://osvaldas.info/drop-down-navigation-responsive-and-touch-friendly

In the lower section of this page you can download this code doubletaptogo.

I use this code in almost every project where a flyout navigation occurs.

Robert

thank you robert. the demo does not work for me as expected. when i click on "blog" and then on "work" it fires the click and not the dropdown...

On mobile I'm on a plan of 200 Mb per month so 94.8 KB is a bit steep.

:o

Especially as e.g. zepto will give you probably 99% of what you're using of jquery in a fraction of the filesize. 

looks nice, thank you :)

you can try my menu on https://new.mentalestaerke.at/ as long as the page is there. would be nice to hear if it works for you or you have any problems. (you need the desktop version of the menu)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 31.5.2016 at 6:31 AM, gebeer said:

Interesting solution, indeed. But it feels a bit hacky. I'd rather present a different menu layout to mobile devices as to avoid the hover problem in the first place. Something like off canvas or the likes.

Sorry for my delay :D

The problem is that the touch device I am talking about is my Laptop with a standard sized screen ;) Somehow this device behaves a little different than a regular non-touch device and it does not trigger hover actions even when a mouse is connected. Also here in the forum I have to click twice for the like-button...