Cannot edit or delete images in image field after update to 3.0.18

MarcU

Hello

I'm quite new to pw so please forgive me if I'm missing something obvious. I just updated from pw 2.7 to 3.0.18 (an existing local developement site, xampp 3.2.1, win8.1, in which I replaced the index file and the wire-folder according to the instructions with the 3.0.18 versions).

Somehow the image field does not work properly since then: upload works properly and image appears in the field, but when I click on Edit or on the delete-icon, just nothing happens. The expected edit-widget below the image as shown in the video (about the brand new image field features) does not appear. See first screenshot attached post-3521-0-49197900-1464381032_thumb.jp.

Note: Everything works fine in a new local pw 3.0.18 installation (local, xampp 3.2.1, win8.1), so it is not a browser issue.

What am I doing wrong or what setting am I missing? Debug mode is on, no errors appear and there's nothing to find in the error log and other logs.

In a cropimage field I have a similar problem: there the image does not even appear - not on hover and not on click. Crop and Variations work, but I can't ad a description. See second screenshot attached post-3521-0-11738900-1464381046_thumb.jp.

Thanks for any ideas/help.

Markus

No idea whats going on here, it looks like an error with CSS/Javascript. You did say you did an update from 2.7 to 3.0.18. So I would assume one of the two things:

1 - Caching is to blame, clear your browser cache and see if it updates the CSS/Javascript.

2-  Wire folder was incorrectly copied across and you should replace your Wire folder with the 3.0.18 downloaded again. 

Thank you tom for advice. Tried out everything after the weekend. Unfortunately it didn't help. Cleared caches in all browsers and the pw module compiler cache. Downloaded and copied "fresh" wire folder into my project.

"Nothing happens" in case of the cropimage field means this (the Edit-clicked image jumps down):

post-3521-0-80713800-1464593078_thumb.jp

post-3521-0-07349100-1464593078_thumb.jp

Click on the image in the regular image field just does nothing or sometimes makes the whole page scroll up a fiew pixels.

I also assume som css/js issue. As said, in a brand new pw-installation in same server / browser setup works perfect. So there must be some old js/css sticking around somewhere it shouldn't. Or is it a conflict with some (old) module? below is the list of my modules:

post-3521-0-02374500-1464594047_thumb.jp

Anyone else has an idea? Otherwise I'll have to set up the site on the basis of a new installation of pw.

cheers, have a nice week,

Markus

Problem "solved" or better: worked around by trashing (and empty trash) all pages using the template containing the cropimage field. Then deleting the cropimage field entirely from the site. The remaining image field works now properly! So it must have been some (js/css) interaction between image- and cropimage field. I will use the regular image field instead of cropimage for thumbnails now since it has the crop feature built in since v3.0. As I understand, fieldtype cropimage is obsolete since v3.0.

Anyone else had this problem? By the way: I couldn't solve it by just setting the cropimage field to (regular)image! I had to delete it from the site.

Markus

Hello friends of pw

since this problem remains with new pw 3.0.20, I marked this topic as unsolved again. There still seems to be an incompatibility in pw 3.0 between the new core image fieldtype and apeisas cropimage fieldtype. I need to delete the cropimage field from the site completely to get the new core image field working properly as showed above. So to update a site using the cropimage field from pw 2.x to 3.0 I first would have to eliminate cropimage fields in 2.x by changing them to core image fields and after that update to 3.0.

I really wonder if nobody else observed this problem and if yes - how would you adress this issue?

Update: thinking more abouth this, it actually would be great to be able to maintain using fieldtype cropimage since it offers more functionality in terms of thumbnail management. I wrote apeisa if it would be possible for him to update the fieldtype to 3.0.

In addition to the core cropping functionality, there are two third party cropping modules:

http://modules.processwire.com/modules/croppable-image/

http://modules.processwire.com/modules/fieldtype-crop-image/

Neither of these work properly in PW3. The one you are using is tagged as compatible up to PW 2.4 only. The other one has a dev branch (https://github.com/horst-n/CroppableImage/tree/PW3) that works for 3.0.17 only. 

You should have a read of these threads:

https://processwire.com/talk/topic/13215-pw-3017-major-upgrades-to-images-field/

https://processwire.com/talk/topic/13279-pw-3018-yet-more-images-field-upgrades/

Not everything is relevant, but there is a lot of discussion about further enhancements to cropping in the core to allow for predefined crop ratios etc. I think if you are wanting PW3, then unfortunately you will need to be satisfied with the core cropping for the time being.

• Like 1

Thank you adrian for your links and information. This will do fine for me at the moment.

by the way, this is what apeisa answered:

Sorry, but no help from here. I stopped maintaining cropimage long time ago and then horst and others started the work with Croppable Image http://modules.proce...roppable-image/

I haven't started developing on 3.0 yet myself and when we start updating sites from 2.x into 3.0 I think we need to look how to replace cropimage.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, hansv said:

@Adrian   I use the imageExtra module, not third party cropping module.  Meanwhile I returned to 2.7.3, because the website is in production!

Try the dev version of the imageExtra module - it has had some recent critical fixes.