Blog: Web hosting changes and upgrades for processwire.com

ryan

This week our focus was on the server side of things rather than on the code side. Sometimes you've got to open the hood and change the oil in order to keep things running smoothly. But rather than just changing the oil, we opted to replace the entire car, moving from our compact family sedan to a turbocharged supercar, so to speak. Basically, we've had some major server upgrades this week! This post covers them in detail: 

https://processwire.com/blog/posts/web-hosting-changes-and-server-upgrades/

• Like 12

Very interesting post! I really enjoyed reading about the backup an restore solution, very educational. Everything truly feels blazing fast now!

Thanks for the amazing work Jan and Ryan!

• Like 2

Thank you Ryan for sharing this with us. It is really interesting to see the challenges in scaling and how you solved it. 

Thank you so much for all your work, and big thanks to Jan for helping you making the PW infrastructure even more performant and reliable.

• Like 1

Thank you for the insight and thank you for your work (both ryan and jan). Also a noticable boost here in austria :)

the automatic failover is very interesting, though i'm curious what you do, when people post eg forum posts on the failover system while you are doing upgrades on the master system. or are you synching changes back somehow or are you just talking about file changes and synch back the whole database?

• Like 1

@bernhard: exactly the question I've been meaning to ask too! Syncing a site to another location periodically and preparing a failover mechanism for static data is one thing, but I'm also curious about how data gets merged back and forth in a situation like this :)

• Like 4