AdminOnSteroids

tpr

The custom CKE toolbars per role feature starts to get shape (continued from here).

I decided not to use roles but selectors instead for more flexibility (restrict by user role, name, email, etc).
There is also a field "filter" to restrict customizations to certain fields.

The biggest issue was figuring out how one could enter these infos in the admin. A full-fledged click-and-play UI was out of scope so the good old textarea-based solution seemed the best option. Even so it's not the simple key=value situation that I've used in the module a few times. I was about to use JSON but that's hard to write and error-prone so finally I made it with INI format, using parse_ini_string in the code. That worked so well that I will use it in the future for sure.

aos-custom-cke-toolbar.png.a6b93f9f932e989fb0ad915330340cce.png

I need to add a way to specify toolbar items to add/remove instead setting them directly, and it'll be ready for consumption :)

• Like 2

v1.5.8 is uploaded so you can try the new "CKEditor customization" feature where you can set CKEditor toolbar buttons and other properties.

I think it's a pretty powerful feature with only a few lines of code, thanks to PW and using INI fomat in the configuration textarea.

For details, see the bottom of CKEaddons in the docs.

Plus I've reorganized the module assets including the compile/minify process, hopefully without any issues.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, tpr said:

I think it's a pretty powerful feature with only a few lines of code, thanks to PW and using INI fomat in the configuration textarea.

Nice one. How about using InputfieldAceExtended for the configuration textarea if it is installed?

if($this->modules->isInstalled('InputfieldAceExtended')) {
	$f = $this->modules->get('InputfieldAceExtended');
	$f->mode = 'ini';
	$f->modes = array('ini');
	$f->theme = 'twilight';
} else {
	$f = $this->modules->get('InputfieldTextarea');
}
$f->attr('name', 'CKEaddons_toolbar');
//...

2017-09-24_002320.png.b949cedf565a5519a2e69b77c4a4ed76.png

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, tpr said:

Unfortunately highlight.js doesn't support textarea so I had to use CodeMirror. I'll be available in the next release.

Cool.

But I do think it makes sense for utilities like CodeMirror or Ace to exist as separate inputfield modules so that they can be used elsewhere in Page Edit, other modules, etc, rather that duplicated within every module that uses them.

3 hours ago, szabesz said:

+1 so that we do not have to deal with dependencies

Things like this are not really dependencies (a plain textarea works fine without them) but more a progressive enhancement.

• Like 3

Makes sense but eg. for me who doesn't have Ace it's a drawback. Now I've modified the code to use Ace if it's installed, otherwise use CodeMirror.

Btw, with Ace the textarea height is only 3 rows here, how you managed it to make higher?

Update: solved it this way, but is there a way to autosize the Ace editor?

Spoiler

if($this->wire('modules')->isInstalled('InputfieldAceExtended')) {
        	$f = $this->wire('modules')->get('InputfieldAceExtended');
        	$f->mode = 'ini';
        	$f->modes = array('ini');
        	$f->theme = 'twilight';
            $f->rows = 12;
        } else {
        	$f = $this->wire('modules')->get('InputfieldTextarea');
            $f->rows = 5;
        }

Sorry to intervene with another topic but AOS stops Lister Pro from being able to list its own custom configured columns. With AOS enabled, its own "ListerTweaks" settings are enforced. It took me some time to figure out what is going on. @Rudy ran into the very same issue two weeks ago, and reported it in the Lister Pro forum as a "bug". These enforced "ListerTweaks" should be handled more gracefully I think. Fist of all, there should be an option to turn them off, letting Lister Pro do all this instead. Second, when it is turned on, there should be a notification for superusers above the listers in question as a reminder that AOS is "in effect".

What do you guys think?

Edited by szabesz
typo
  • Like 2

I've worked on the "CKEditor customizations" feature and finally decided not to restrict on CKEditor field only. It was refactored to a new submodule called "FieldOverrides".

This way it is possible to set a bunch of field properties to override the defaults, in user, field or page contexts. Basically this is an extended version of the built-in field template overrides feature but for almost all field properties.

Some examples of what is possible:

aos-fieldoverrides.thumb.png.d737c6670fc83f0b49057ddcb289ca10.png

As you can see the syntax has changed a lot and there are some new keys too.

Syntax higlight works with InputfieldAceExtended and CodeMirror too, and in both cases the field auto-grows. CodeMirror uses files from the existing CKE plugins directory so the module's overall filesize hasn't grow much.

@szabesz I don't have ListerPro so it's hard to check things. You say that If you turn ListerTweaks off it's still active?

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, tpr said:

This way it is possible to set a bunch of field properties to override the defaults, in user, field or page contexts. Basically this is an extended version of the built-in field template overrides feature but for almost all field properties.

Awesome! I can see this being really powerful, and a nice alternative to working with hooks.

What do you think about adding an option for using a file to define these settings? For anything but the briefest snippets I much prefer working in my IDE (version control, etc). It could be a checkbox to activate the file-based option, or just check if "field-overrides.ini" exists in /site/modules/AdminOnSteroids/.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Robin S said:

Awesome! I can see this being really powerful, and a nice alternative to working with hooks.

Okay, big flip-flop ahead... :D

...thinking some more, maybe this isn't such a good thing to add into AOS. It introduces another "language" to learn for doing something that is already possible with hooks. And @abdus has recently posted a tutorial for how to add other field settings into the template overrides that allows the admin GUI to be used. And I can see these ini-style settings being difficult to debug.

Don't know, I'm really in two minds about it. Be good to hear what others think.

• Like 1

I knew about @abdus article and considered going that way too. However I don't know how could I provide a UI for those hooks in one place like aos does how. Setting page/user conditionals would be another problem (from UI pov).

I don't think ini is a language/form a pw dev couldn't get in a few minutes so this doesn't seem to be an issue imo. aos already has a few non-conform field syntax, mainly key-value pairs, perhaps I'll convert them to similar ini-like fields later.

Lack of logging or such is an issue though. My best idea is to add notifications for superusers that some field properties are overridden by the module, on the page edit screen. I do not want to modify the original field edit page, that would lead to more confusions I think, and it wasn't easy in case of user/page conditions in effect.

As for the file-based settings I think I will prepend it to the admin contents if exists.

My biggest concern is that this submodule is too powerful, but it's for devs who should know what they are doing. And they can leave out this daily dose if they don't like it :)

7 hours ago, Robin S said:

Be good to hear what others think.

Actually, I intentionally do not use any role based features of AOS and the reason for this is that I do not want my admin setups to depend on the module. All should still be usable and "the same" when AOS is disabled/uninstalled. For the same reason, I do not use it for loading "admin CSS and JS" either, for example, but there are other features too I do not use just because of this.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tpr said:

@szabesz I don't have ListerPro so it's hard to check things. You say that If you turn ListerTweaks off it's still active?

Hm, I forgot how to turn it off so I could not do it. Now I see that clicking on the box turns stuff on and off. I will do some further testing on the weekend when I have the time.

8 hours ago, Robin S said:

Don't know, I'm really in two minds about it. Be good to hear what others think.

Same here. I think I'll stick to hooks..

Another thing: with AOS turned on I have problems with cke fields. The header is sticky and if you have lots of buttons the textarea will get inaccessible (first screenshot is AOS off and it works):

Screenshot_20170928-092230.png

Screenshot_20170928-091301.png

@tpr, I guess the question is "Why use ini format in the AOS config when you can just as easily use a hook?" The hook equivalent of the first two items in your screenshot is:

$wire->addHookBefore('Field::getInputfield', function(HookEvent $event) {
    $field = $event->object;
    $page = $event->arguments(0);

// Add word counter for the "title" field for non-superusers
    if($field->name == 'title' && !$this->user->isSuperuser()) {
        $field->showCount = 2;
    }

// Set year range for a date field, if template is "news"
    if($field->name == 'date_created' && $page->template == 'news') {
        $field->yearRange = '-3:+3';
    }

});

Comparing the hook option to the AOS config option my thoughts are:

1. Once the hook function is in place and the $field and $page variables defined, the code for each field override is not significantly longer.
  2. It's plain PHP, so we're already familiar with the format.
  3. It's easier to read the conditionals.
  4. It's file-based.
  5. It's easy to dump/log within the hook.
  6. It saves any additional complexity being needed in AOS.
  • Like 2

@bernhard I'll disable the position sticky for mobile screens.

@Robin S 

I see your points, but not everyone is capable of writing hooks. In fact the whole AOS wouldn't be needed because one could add their hooks/tweaks manually too. So yes, it's an abstraction but imo it makes things easier, maybe not for those who are familiar with hooks. In fact even for me it's easier to edit such an ini file (whether in admin or in a file) than writing hooks.

Perhaps I could use a PHP array instead ini when used from a file, and add a log key (command) to make logging easier but I guess this wouldn't help for those who prefer hooks instead.

Btw, "$page->template == 'news'" in your example is not valid, because in the admin the edited page is needed to be checked (template would return "admin" there always).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tpr said:

I see your points, but not everyone is capable of writing hooks.

You're probably right. It won't hurt to add the feature and users can make up their own mind what they find easiest to use.

2 hours ago, tpr said:

Btw, "$page->template == 'news'" in your example is not valid, because in the admin the edited page is needed to be checked (template would return "admin" there always).

The $page argument for that method actually is the page being edited.

• Like 1

Hey @tpr - any chance you could add the "Show pagelist actions on full row hover" tweak to the sidepanel tree - the one that shows when you click this icon 59cfc586b33e2_ScreenShot2017-09-30at9_25_29AM.png.3ee83aecfd84e991210de11fd21116af.png in the breadcrumbs. 

I am starting to get into the habit of using that panel as a way to access the tree and I am really missing the full row hover.

On another note - what are your thoughts on supporting the new UiKit theme now? It is starting to look more usable (although I must admit I still don't see any real advantages over an AOS tweaked default theme), but it would be a nice option to have going forward. No pressure by the way - I know it's going to become painful keeping up with three different themes. It will be interesting to see what happens - will UiKit takeover as default - will the others stop getting core upgrades? Comes back to my desire for one theme which is easily skinnable, rather than different structures!

• Like 4

Took some time why it's not working there but finally found it - the CSS rule is active only above 960px screen width and the panel width usually below this. I'll fix this in the next release. Probably if you zoom the page out you'll see too.

I've checked the new UIkit theme and it's not bad. From AOS pov I saw only the language switcher that is misplaced but surely there are others too. I'll wait until more users will start to use it and if there will be too many AOS-related complains I'll start to fix them. I would be also happy if there would be only one theme to support.

• Like 3