Bitnami costs vs a VPS

alan

Has anyone gone from a VPS type hosting setup to Bitnami running on Google (or Amazon) and found a significant change in cost?

Wondering if I ought to junk my traditional VPS hosting and move sites to Bitnami + Google (will be testing one soon as never tried bitnami other than a 1hr demo). Cheers! [clicks a virtual beer]

This is the first time I've come across such thing, I'll have a look into it myself. I'm always eager to stay up todate on technology. Is this a way to run things such as Debian using Googles cloud service? 

By significant change in cost do you mean cheaper or more expensive?

I've personally never been a fan of VPS hosting outside of AWS or Google.  That said, I've moving an ocean of servers and sites into AWS including running on Bitnami.  Most of the bitnami AMIs are free to use on AWS so all you do is pay for use of the instance and attached storage so you can make it as big or small (even free) as you want.  I've personally found the setup of Bitnami instances confusing and prefer to do this myself but I also work in this space so I'm not exactly an average user.  

• Like 6

Thanks Jan for your take on this, and welcome to the forum! ^_^

I'm the other way, I don't work in hosting, only use it, so I am assuming that the Bitnami 'layer' will help reduce my learning curve.

I am going to put a site on Bitnami+Google to see what I find.

If I find a 'rule of thumb' guide to costs along the lines "If your VPS use is this then your cloud hosting cost would be that" then I'll post that here as that's probably the deal maker/breaker for me (since I assume the hosting experience will be roughly comparable to VPS).

• Like 1