Switching hosts, May 25 at noon EST

ryan

Just wanted to let you guys know that we're moving all of the ProcessWire sites to a new web host today around 12pm (noon), EST. Our new dedicated server is from IBM/Softlayer, and this is going to be a really great upgrade for us. I'll cover more in this week's blog post, but wanted to give you a heads up that things will be switching today and there may be a brief period of down time. I may take the forums down for a bit when the change is taking place so that we don't have messages getting posted on one server and not another while the DNS updates.

• Like 8

All switched! Please let me know if anyone runs into any issues. The new server is quite a bit more powerful than the previous, so hoping you might notice a speed difference too–I sure do.

• Like 4

Noticing a huge difference in speed here; all my earlier issues are gone now and the forum feels extremely slick. Not sure if it's server location or increase in resources, but I'm quite happy with the switch. Twitter feed and at least one profile pic missing, though I guess you're already on that :)

• Like 2

Maybe not related but I've noticed my last submitted module (Image Marker) was approved but I didn't get an email notification like usually happens. Thing is I don't know whether that was pre- or post- the switch :-)

There are still a few little things to work out, but we're mostly there. The biggest one I'm aware of at the moment is that forums have no outbound email. It turns out we're required to use an external SMTP server in this case, so working on setting that up. 

@kongondo I've been messing around with email settings on the modules site this last week, trying to get it working with Mailgun, and decided to just wrap it up once everything was transferred. Outbound email should start working everywhere again hopefully by tomorrow. 

• Like 1

Saw some missing CSS files on modules directory too, but a refresh seemed to fix the situation. Could be browser cache, or perhaps something was a bit off with CloudFront after the switch. Not seeing any of those now.

• Like 1

On pages like the older images doc, there are links at the bottom (RELATED FORUMS THREADS) in the form of: .../index.php/topic,97.0.html

Don't know if those were working before the switch, but now they don't.

Also I know that we have the brand new Docs, what are very fast growing! Just wanted to mention. :)

• Like 2

Also I know that we have the brand new Docs, what are very fast growing! Just wanted to mention. :)

On the subject of the docs, I noticed that there is a typo on the following page http://processwire.com/api/ref/page/status/

Under the "See Also" section at the bottom, Page::addStauts() should read Page::addStatus(). Also the link is wrong and should be http://processwire.com/api/ref/page/add-status/ instead of http://processwire.com/api/ref/page/addstauts/

​I thought I'd mention it here rather than opening another thread.

• Like 2

All the language sites should now be up too. i.e. de.processwire.com and so on. wiki.processwire.com didn't survive the server change. Somehow its database had grown to multiple gigabytes, and it appears that it may have been hacked or something. I've lost trust in MediaWiki for our use. Since everything on there is pretty well out of date at this point, we opted not to copy that over to the new server. We could spend days trying to figure out why a small wiki had a 3.5 gigabyte database, so I figured we were better off without it.

• Like 8

Agreed that we don't really need the wiki that much. Still, I'd suggest rerouting the queries there to some other location on the site. Having an empty directory listing there looks a bit weird :)

• Like 4

• 1 year later...