Ideas for a dashboard / widget system?

Hello everybody,

I am developing a dashboard process module with which you are able to configure and display individual widget modules. As a beginning I created a PageList widget with which you can display the page tree (the one from the standard admin home at the moment). I also created a ListPages widget with which you can display all sorts of page lists (like "recent pages", "your recent pages", "latest news" etc.).

What I want to know from you is: What what you expect from such a dashboard as additional functionality? I think some sort of statistics would be nice (total pages etc.) but also charts from statistic solutions like GA and Piwik. But beside that? Any suggestions?

Edit: While writing this... latest images and latest files also makes sense I guess.

Admin messaging system (am I getting carried away here?)

A bit ;) Messaging is not a dashboard's task I think.

Depending on installed modules, latest comments etc, or provide an interface for other module developers to add widgets (I really am getting carried away)

Comments: Good idea. The widget system is very easy to develop for. Other developers can/SHOULD easily develop widgets for it.

I think of the Piwik dashboard widgets. Easy to customize, easy to configure.

Sorry, oversaw this:

Server stats (maybe using http://phpsysinfo.sourceforge.net/)

good idea!

calendar

For which purpose?

weather, sudoku, stock market

This is all possible. But I am more looking for PW-related tasks. Something everyone could use for productivity.

How about a simple to-do list widget?

Certainly possible. But not for a first release. But a good point though: Some "quick edit" features for pages like checking/unchecking checkboxes, publishing etc. Good point :)

I ... am ... amazed. This really looks great. For me I can see the "Create quick [whatever page]" working really great on several large sites. Perhaps a list of new/unread contactforms entries would be nice see too.

Would it be possible to customise a dashboard per user role? That way you could really tailor it on large sites for the needs of different editors.

No. You don't have to use it.

Not a nice answer...

I also don't like that some CMS's have an over complicated landing page, but I don't think that this will turn PW in one of those.

Not a nice answer...

? Sorry, but (already pointed out):

1. you can configure which widgets you use

2. you define how complicated you make it (depending on the needs of your site, editors, groups and yourself)

3. It is a Process module, you can use it as often as you need it

4. Finally, again, it is a module. You don't have to use it. You can stick at the pages process as start screen (what I also do for small sites).