Pete Jones

Migrate from Repeater to Pages

Afternoon,

I have a page setup with a repeater which has 40 or so items in. Each repeater item has around 6 fields.

This is becoming a little unusable so I'd like to convert them to child pages of the current parent. Is there a way to do this (import/export maybe?)

Many thanks

Pete

Hi,
I think to achive this, it might be the easiest if you create a new template with the 6 fields of your repeaters.
As repeaters are also just saved as pages, you can select them and iterate over the PageArray.
For each of the "repeater-pages" you can now create a new page of your new template (with your initial page as parent) and copy over the values to this new page.

Afterwards you can check the pages and delete your repeaters.

Greetings

Edit: Or see below for the easy way :)

$rf = "repeater_field"; //repeater field name

$pt = "basic-page"; //page template name

foreach($p->$rf as $r){

$np = new Page();

$np->of(false);

$np->template = $pt;

$np->parent = $page;

foreach($r->fields as $f){

$np->$f = $r->$f;

}

$np->save();

}

Edited by adrian
Edited to set parent to current page and fix missing closing quote - thanks to @Sebii and @Christophe
  • Like 2

Couldn't just set new parent for those repeater pages under Admin? I see it's not possible through the admin but maybe it's doable via API.

I think just setting a new parent might be problematic, as repeaters don't really use a template (or a generic one?).
But it might be sufficient to change the parent and set the template (to a template using the same fields).

What Adrian suggested above however sounds very reliable.

foreach($p->$rf as $r){
    $np = new Page();
    $np->of(false);
    $np->template = $pt;
    $np->parent = $page;
        $np->$f = $r->$f;
    }
    $np->save();
}

Hi Adrian,

Do you just create a template file with this in it and run it?

Hi Adrian,

Do you just create a template file with this in it and run it?

If you already have HannaCode installed, you can use that to run code in the backend easily using the Test option. If not, then you can place it into an existing template file. If it's a live site then maybe wrap it in:

if($user->isSuperuser()) {

so that it only happens once when you visit the page with the template.

I would also recommend testing that code of mine on a dev/testing site first. I adapted it quickly from https://processwire.com/talk/topic/6654-convert-repeater-to-pagetable/ - I think it should be fine - looks good, but always worth a double check before running something like this on a live site.

$p = $pages->get("/path/to/currentParent");

And make sure $p is the correct  page.

• Like 1

OK, so I've got the script to run but had 2 problems:

1) Dates - my dates are appearing as -0001-11-30

2) Titles - I probably need to concatenate 2 fields together for the titles - how can I do this?

Thanks Pete!

If you already have HannaCode installed, you can use that to run code in the backend easily using the Test option. If not, then you can place it into an existing template file. If it's a live site then maybe wrap it in:

if($user->isSuperuser()) {

so that it only happens once when you visit the page with the template.

I would also recommend testing that code of mine on a dev/testing site first. I adapted it quickly from https://processwire.com/talk/topic/6654-convert-repeater-to-pagetable/ - I think it should be fine - looks good, but always worth a double check before running something like this on a live site.

Hi,
1) Dates might be broken due to output formatting

2) You can acces the fields of the repeater, like you would do with a page.

$p = $pages->get("/path/to/currentParent");

foreach($p->$rf as $r){
    $r->of(false);    //Should make sure raw data are copied. (dates)
    $np = new Page();
    $np->of(false);
    $np->template = $pt;
    $np->parent = $p;
        $np->$f = $r->$f;
    }
    $np->title = $r->field1 + $r->field2 //that's how you should be able to access repeater fields and set the title
    $np->save();
}
  • Like 1

I think just setting a new parent might be problematic, as repeaters don't really use a template (or a generic one?).

Repeaters are actually using real templates, they are just marked as system templates and therefore hidden by default like the user template. Only the new matrix fieldtype is using a somehow combined generic templates for each of the different data types in a single matrix field.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By David Karich
      The Page Hit Counter module for ProcessWire implements a simple page view counter in backend. Page views of visitors are automatically tracked on defined templates, with monitoring of multiple page views. This gives you a quick overview of how many visitors have read a news or a blog post, for example, without first having to open complex tools such as Google Analytics. This module quickly provides simple information, e.g. for editors. Or, for example, to sort certain news by most page views. For example for "Trending Topics".

Works with ProCache and AdBlockers. With a lightweight tracking code of only ~320 bytes (gzipped). And no code changes necessary! In addition GDPR compliant, since no personal data or IP addresses are stored. Only session cookies are stored without information. 
      In addition, there are some options, for example filtering IP addresses (for CronJobs) and filtering bots, spiders and crawlers. You can also configure the lifetime of the session cookies. Repeated page views are not counted during this period. It is also possible to exclude certain roles from tracking. For example, logged in editors who work on a page are not counted as page views.

Sort by hits and access page views (hit value)
      Each trackable template has an additional field called phits. For example, you want to output all news sorted by the number of page views.
      // It is assumed that the template, e.g. with the name "news", has been configured for tracking. $news = $pages->find("template=news, sort=-phits"); To output the page views of a tracked page, use:
      echo $page->phits; Example: Reset counter per API
      $modules->get("PageHitCounter")->resetPageViews("template=whatever", false); Example: Tracking a page hit via API and jQuery
      If you want to track a template that does not represent a full page to automatically inject a tracking script, you can define allowed API templates in the module that you can track. Below is an example of how you can track a click on news tag using jQuery. This will allow you to find out which keywords are clicked the most. For example, you can sort and display a tag cloud by the number of hits. Suppose your keywords have the template "news_tag". The template "news_tag" was also configured in the Page Hit Counter Module as a trackable API template.
      Example PHP output of keywords / tags:
      // Required: the data attribute "data-pid" with the ID of the template to be tracked. echo $pages->find("template=news_tag, sort=-phits")->each("<a href='{url}' class='news_tag' data-pid='{id}'>{title}</a>"); Example Tracking Script with jQuery:
      /** * Required: Data attribute "data-pid" with the ID of the news tag template * Required: Send the POST request to the URL "location.pathname.replace(/\/?$/, '/') + 'phcv1'" * Required: The POST parameter "pid" with the ID of the template */ $(function(){ if($('a.news_tag').length > 0) { $('a.news_tag').each(function(){ var tPID = $(this).data("pid"); if(tPID) { $(this).on("click", function(){ $.post(location.pathname.replace(/\/?$/, '/') + 'phcv1', {pid: tPID}); }); } }); } }); So simply every click on a tag is counted. Including all checks as for automatic tracking. Like Bot Filtering, Session Lifetime, etc.
      Notice: Tracking with URL segments
      If the option "Allow URL Segments" is activated on a template, the hits are only counted if the base URL of the page is called. If you want the hit to be counted even when a segment is requested, you MUST configure the segments in the template configuration. How to do this can be found here. If you use dynamic segments, configure them as RegEx. There is currently no other option. The problem is that the Page Hit Counter hooked into the PageNotFound process. If URL segments are allowed but not defined, a 404 is never triggered. This means that the Page Hit Counter cannot be called.
      Background: This module is the result of a customer requirement, where the editors are overwhelmed with analytics or no tracking tools were allowed to be used. However, a way had to be found to at least count page views in a simple form for evaluations. Furthermore, by using ProCache, a way had to be found to count views of a page without clearing the cache.
      Automatic Page View Tracking Lightweight tracking code, only ~320 bytes (gzipped) No code or frontend changes necessary Works with ProCache! Even if no PHP is executed on the cached page, the tracking works Works with browser AdBlockers No cache triggers (for example, ProCache) are triggered. The cache remains persistent GDPR compliant, session-based cookie only, no personal information Filtering of IPs and bots possible Exclude certain roles from tracking Ability to reset Page Views Works with all admin themes Counter database is created as write-optimized InnoDB API to track events for templates that are not viewable No dependencies on libraries, pure VanillaJS (Automatic tracking script) Works in all modern browsers Pages are sortable by hits Cons
      Only for ProcessWire version 3.0.80 or higher (Requires wireCount()) Only for PHP version 5.6.x or higher No support for Internet Explorer <= version 9 (Because of XMLHttpRequest()) No historical data, just simple summation (Because of GDPR) Segment URLs can only be counted if the segments are defined Planned Features / ToDos
      API access to hit values Since version 1.2.1 Possibility to sort the pages by hits (Request by @Zeka) Since version 1.2.0 Don't track logged in users with certain roles (Request by @wbmnfktr) Since version 1.1.0 Possibility to reset the counter for certain pages or templates (Request by @wbmnfktr) Since version 1.1.0 Better bot filter Since version 1.1.0 Disable session lifetime, don't store cookies to track every page view (Request by @matjazp) Since version 1.2.1 Option to hide the counter in the page tree (Request by @matjazp) Since version 1.2.1 Option to hide the counter in the page tree on certain templates Since version 1.2.1 API to track events for templates that are not viewable Since version 1.2.2 Changelog
      Bug-Fix: Set the counter of a cloned page to 0 Enhancement: The function for resetting counters is now available in the module as a public function to reset counters via own scripts on the API side (Request by @VeiJari) Enhancement: Documentation improvement API reset 1.2.5
      Bug-Fix: When counting 404 hits, cookies are no longer set. The session lifetime is deactivated for the 404 page Enhancement: Documentation improvement regarding URL segments 1.2.4
      Bug-Fix: Resetting the counters on system pages (e.g. 404) does not work (Reported by wbmnfktr) Bug-Fix: Tracking endpoint is logged as 404 if module "Jumplinks" is installed (Reported by wbmnfktr) Enhancement: Corrected few typos (Merged from Sergio #6 – THX!) 1.2.3
      Bug-Fix: Tracking script triggers 404 if pages are configured without slash (#3) Reported by @maxf5 Enhancement: Reduction of the tracking script size if it's gzipped (~320 bytes) Enhancement: Documentation improvement Enhancement: Corrected few typos 1.2.2
      New feature: API to track events for templates that are not viewable Enhancement: Documentation improvement 1.2.1
      API access to hit values Use $page->phits Bug-Fix: No tracking on welcomepage (Reported by wbmnfktr; Thx to matjazp) Bug-Fix: Tracking script path on subfolders (Reported by matjazp) Bug-Fix: Tracking on pages with status "hidden" Enhancement: Change database engine to InnoDB for phits field Enhancement: Option to disable session lifetime set session lifetime to 0, no cookies Enhancement: Better installation check Enhancement: AJAX Request asyncron Enhancement: Reduction of the tracking script size by ~20% Enhancement: Option to hide the counter in the page tree You can output the counter with the field name "phits" Enhancement: Option to hide the counter in the page tree on certain templates Enhancement: Option for activate general IP validation Enhancement: Reduction of tracking overhead up to ~30ms Enhancement: Better bot list for detection 1.2.0
      New feature: Sort pages by hits – New field phits Migrate old counter data to new field 1.1.0
      New feature: Exclude tracking of certain roles New feature: Reset Page Views Better bot filter and detection 1.0.0
      Initial release Notes
      By default, the page views are stored as INT in the database. This allows a maximum counter value of 4.2 billion views (4,294,967,295) per page. If you need more, change the type to BIGINT directly in the database. But I recommend to use Google Analytics or similar tools if you have such a large number of users.
      ProcessWire InputfieldRepeaterMatrixDuplicate
      Thanks to the great ProModule "RepeaterMatrix" I have the possibility to create complex repeater items. With it I have created a quite powerful page builder. Many different content modules, with many more possible design options. The RepeaterMatrix module supports the cloning of items, but only within the same page. Now I often have the case that very design-intensive pages and items are created. If you want to use a content module on a different page (e.g. in the same design), you have to rebuild each item manually every time.
      This module extends the commercial ProModule "RepeaterMatrix" by the function to duplicate repeater items from one page to another page. The condition is that the target field is the same matrix field from which the item is duplicated. This module is currently understood as proof of concept. There are a few limitations that need to be considered. The intention of the module is that this functionality is integrated into the core of RepeaterMatrix and does not require an extra module.
      Check out the screencast
      What the module can do
      Duplicate a repeater item from one page to another No matter how complex the item is Full support for file and image fields Multilingual support Support of Min and Max settings Live synchronization of clipboard between multiple browser tabs. Copy an item and simply switch the browser tab to the target page and you will immediately see the past button Support of multiple RepeaterMatrix fields on one page Configurable which roles and fields are excluded Duplicated items are automatically pasted to the end of the target field and set to hidden status so that changes are not directly published Automatic clipboard update when other items are picked Automatically removes old clipboard data if it is not pasted within 6 hours Delete clipboard itself by clicking the selected item again Benefit: unbelievably fast workflow and content replication What the module can't do
      Before an item can be duplicated in its current version, the source page must be saved. This means that if you make changes to an item and copy this, the old saved state will be duplicated Dynamic loading is currently not possible. Means no AJAX. When pasting, the target page is saved completely No support for nested repeater items. Currently only first level items can be duplicated. Means a repeater field in a repeater field cannot be duplicated. Workaround: simply duplicate the parent item Dynamic reloading and adding of repeater items cannot be registered. Several interfaces and events from the core are missing. The initialization occurs only once after the page load event Changelog
      Bug fix: Various bug fixes and improvements in live synchronization Bug fix: Items are no longer inserted when the normal save button is clicked. Only when the past button is explicitly clicked Feature: Support of multiple repeater fields in one page Feature: Support of repeater Min/Max settings Feature: Configurable roles and fields Enhancement: Improved clipboard management Enhancement: Documentation improvement Enhancement: Corrected few typos #1 1.0.3
      Feature: Live synchronization Enhancement: Load the module only in the backend Enhancement: Documentation improvement 1.0.2
      Bug fix: Various bug fixes and improvements in JS functions Enhancement: Documentation improvement Enhancement: Corrected few typos 1.0.1
      Bug fix: Various bug fixes and improvements in the duplication process 1.0.0
      Initial release Support this module
      If this module is useful for you, I am very thankful for your small donation: Donate 5,- Euro (via PayPal – or an amount of your choice. Thank you!)
      Download this module
      > Github: https://github.com/FlipZoomMedia/InputfieldRepeaterMatrixDuplicate
      > PW module directory: https://modules.processwire.com/modules/inputfield-repeater-matrix-duplicate/
    • By gerritvanaaken
      Wouldn’t it be cool to have whole repeater items (or even repeater matrix items) language-specific. Some of my clients do have pages that are 90% identical in German and English, but there are some sections that should not appear in one or another language. I attached a concept screenshot.
      Would something like this be possible with some simple backend hooks and "hidden checkbox fields"? Or is it way more complicated?

• By brdje
      Greetings,

I've ran into an issue with adding a repeater field to a template.
      The page editor in the backend shows the fields and the data attached to the fields, including the repeater.

However, when viewing the template in the front-end, there is no sign of a repeater field in the data set.
      ["data"]=> array(3) { ["name1189"]=> string(11) "partenaires" ["status1189"]=> string(1) "1" ["title"]=> string(8) "Partners" } } Do u have any idea what could be causing this issue?
      I've tried recreating the field and there is no caching active, but still can't get the repeater in the data set.
    • By Atlasfreeman
      Hi!
      I want to make a small site, a one page site.
      And i have this idea about doing 2 to 3 diffrent template that i can load into the index / home page.

I want to do this with an array so that i can keep creating more topics (with the template) id needed.
      <?php include('./head.inc'); // include header markup ?> <?php $children = $page->get('template=onecolmn|twocolumn, sort=sort'); foreach($children as $child) { include($child); } ?> <?php include('./foot.inc'); // include footer markup ?>  
      As you can see i have to template wish i want to control from the backend.
      I know include does not work this way, put what is my other option to make an array that loads the whole page on an other pages.