Template workflow enhancements

Robin S

A couple of requests to make working with templates in Admin more streamlined:

1. Display the "Label" field in the "New Template" screen - I always like to label my templates and currently this requires you to re-open the template you have just created. Also, I'd rather have the template screen remain open after adding a template rather than be sent back to the Templates overview. These changes would make the "New Template" process more consistent with the "New Field" process.

But of course the likely reason for no Label field and the closing of the template screen is because it's actually "New Templates" plural not "New Template" singular. Myself, I've never felt the need to add multiple templates at once but I expect others do. Maybe "New Template" and "New Templates" could be separate commands?

2. When duplicating a template (Add New Templates > Duplicate fields used by another template) it would be nice if field overrides (widths, descriptions, etc) were included in the new template(s). It can be quite time-consuming to set these up, and if you are duplicating fields of an existing template I think you also want to duplicate the overrides more often than not.

• Like 12

+1

Had the same thought multiple times but never came up with a request in the forums.

Maybe if only one template name provided stay on template creation page, as you suggested.

If multiple added, either return to overview or go to detail editing of each template one by one. (As far as I remember Drupal has something like this, at least Views were using this for setting up fields or something)

But this could be confusing...

• 7 months later...
On 4/1/2016 at 8:52 AM, arjen said:

It would be great if we could enter the new template name directly before duplicating. So the template and field duplication process are equal.

It wasn't there in 3.0.15, but it is in (at least) 3.0.39. 

improv.gif

Thanks @ryan, minor fixes like these really improve the overall user experience.

• Like 2