alxndre

Adding a field to templates

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to add a "field" of some sort to the templates. See, this "field" isn't exactly a like the regular fieldtypes that would have different values depending on the pages that use that template.

What I'm looking for is almost exactly the same as the Tags field in the advanced tab of the template settings. My use case scenario is that I want to put some keywords in there that would be available to all the pages using a particular template, and then I could perhaps use those values to determine dependencies, etc. I could actually achieve this with the existing tag field, but then it messes with the templates list because they appear multiple times depending on how many tags I put in them.

So my question is how or if it's possible to add another field like it to templates?

Thanks. :)

Hmm, I might have misread what you are after.....I thought you want some text to appear in your pages...but it seems you want the templates themselves to be altered in some way...

You can hook into ProcessTemplate::buildEditForm and add your fields there and ProcessTemplate::executeSave to persist any entries to those.

@Alxndre', you may find some useful snippets in my Template Parents module(s) as a starting point. For historical reasons, the hooks into the Template methods for injecting the field markup and for triggering storing of the value are in TemplateParents.module, while the creation of the necessary database table and the save/load logic itself is in ProcessTemplateParents.module, but all of these could easily be combined into a single module file.

It doesn't even need to be stored in a custom db, as most template data is stored as encoded json string anyways, which can be used for custom fields as well.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Pip
      Hi, Everyone! 
      I'm currently working on a page reference field and set it for multiple pages (AsmSelect) for the input. Is there a way for me to add an image field (aka Avatar) and the title of page in the radio button? 
      I used the field name enclosed in the { }. Didn't work. It appeared a text instead. 
      Thanks in advance and hope to hear from you soon!
    • By Robin S
      Displays image tags overlaid on the thumbnail using customisable colours. This makes it easier to see which images have which tags without needing to open the edit pane for individual images or changing to the list view.
      Screenshot

Usage
      Enable tags for one or more image fields. Install the Image Thumbnail Tags module. Optionally configure colours for any of your tags.

https://github.com/Toutouwai/ImageThumbnailTags
      https://modules.processwire.com/modules/image-thumbnail-tags/
    • By calago
      after the migration to version 3.0.145 our export templates all of a sudden dont work properly, 
      we have a functionality where we use a boiler template with a set of fields. for some reason since the upgrade when we select the export template to export it. it wont show any of the fields added after the migration, 

as you can see the offer certificate remarks field has been added to the export, 
      but when we select it it wont come trough

• By EyeDentify
      Hello dear PW gurus.

I have stumbled over a strange error that i all of sudden got when trying to upload an image to a images field on a page.
      There where images allready stored in the field that i wanted to keep, but during the upload the error apear and after that all images are gone from the field and i can´t upload any, i just get the error every time.
      I am running ProcessWire 3.0.153 dev.
      Update:
      After looking in the assets folder i find the folder for the page and the image files seems to be there including the ones i tried to upload when the error occured.
      But they don´t show up in the images field in the page editor.

The error reported:

SQLSTATE[01000]: Warning: 1265 Data truncated for column 'ratio' at row 1 And here is a screenshot of the event:

The TracyDebugger Error reporting:

I hope you fine folks could point me in a direction.
      But it seems our old pal set_time_limit() is back.

Regards, EyeDentify
    • By Andi
      Continuing my journey into PW hooks, I'm trying to find a way to retrieve all images from a page that explicitly *do not* have a certain tag (or tags) attached to them.
      Found this post from 2015
      But I'm wondering if there's a more elegant way to go about this.
      Let's say I have a multi-image field called "images_header" and instead of
      $page->images_header->findTag('mytag'); I would like to do this:
      $page->images_header->excludeTag('mytag'); So I'd be able to do
      // find images that don't have the tag "mytag" $images = $page->images_header->excludeTag('mytag'); // check if there's any images if (count($images)>0) { // do something.. } Would this be possible by hooking into Pagefiles somehow?
      There's this bit in /wire/core/Pagefiles.php Line 626 that I'd basically just need to reverse (or at least in my mind 😄 )
      public function findTag($tag) { $items = $this->makeNew(); foreach($this as $pagefile) { if($pagefile->hasTag($tag)) $items->add($pagefile); } return $items; } Any ideas on how this could be done in a graceful manner?
      Thanks in advance!