First multi-site questions

Peter Knight

Hi guys

Client called me today about moving their 3 domain multi-site project (different CMS) to another CMS.

Obviously I'm really excited but a little apprehensive too having never looked at MS in ProcessWire

Having read the main threads and the single Vs multiple database docs and wondered if...

1. Anyone has a screengrab of a multi-site tree? I'd like to see how it works in the Admin?

2. Are front end users (not editors) shared across the the multiple domains / sites? 

3. if I get the three sites up and running and a client then wants me to add another site/domain is this a relatively straightforward concept?

thanks

P

Hey Peter,

I got a few up and running. Not really difficult, just make sure the domains are pointing to the same server and directory.

Your questions:

1. See below for screens.

2. Unfortunately you can't share users across multiple domains by default. You need an Single Sign On service to share (front-end) users.

3. Depending on how you create your set-up you can easily deploy another site. In the set-up below the logo and content are different. We are going to add 4-5 sites when the first two are ready.

Note: I'm using multi-site by apeisa (and later soma). I saw that soma recently updated some stuff to handle 404. I use a module for the different 404 pages. Also be sure to create two form-builder pages since the first one can't be shared. This might be different in soma's newest version.

Screenshots:

Tree

post-365-0-57625300-1457986013_thumb.png

Module configuration

post-365-0-03996400-1457986010_thumb.png

Name setup of the new homepage

post-365-0-56210800-1457986005_thumb.png

• Like 3

2. Unfortunately you can't share users across multiple domains by default. You need an Single Sign On service to share (front-end) users.

Hi Arjen

Im reading the multi-site docs and it mentions

• All the user accounts are the same along the various sites. If you have the same team administering the individual sites, then this would be a major benefit.

Is this incorrect? I'm hoping that multi-site shares users (for this site).

Is this incorrect? I'm hoping that multi-site shares users (for this site).

no, this is correct (meaning you share all the user account across the different domains). you have a standard pw installation. the only difference is that some of your pages are accessible via different domains. users, templates etc. are the same like in a 1-domain-installation. you can manage access just like you would in any other pw project, maybe using adrians pagebrancheditable: userA can manage branch siteA.com, userB branch siteB.com and so on...

don't know what you mean by "front end users" though...

why don't you just make a test-installation and play around? ;)

don't know what you mean by "front end users" though...

On my current site (non PW) we have a number of users setup who can view private html pages. They have no access to the Admin but have access to a private section assuming they login via a front end form.

why don't you just make a test-installation and play around?  ;)

That's the plan for Saturday :)

Imagine I'll get sidetracked with playing with the new Media Manager module though!

• Like 1

Apologies. I didn't explain myself well enough. Since it is the same database you can easily access all the data.

What I was trying to say is: without a SSO it isn't possible for a user to be logged in at the same time on multiple domains in the same session.

For example: if a user is logged in www.domain1.com and he visits www.domain2.com the user is not automatically logged in on the second domain. The cookie storing the session data can't be shared across multiple domains. This actually is a good thing so a domain can't access cookies form other domains.

• Like 3

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...