Pierre-Luc

WireMail Mailgun

Hi all. 

I'm assuming there's been some change over at MailGun over the past few days as this great module has stopped working on most sites that use it.

I'm getting this error in the PW MailGun logs:

cURL Error: SSL certificate problem: unable to get local issuer certificate

It seems to be fairly common over the past couple of days on the MailGun-PHP github.

Has anyone else had this issue?

• Like 1

everything is working fine here on Mailgun sends from processwire...

Also, i am not seeing any cURL error related issues on the github repo that you refer to. Can you link directly to such an issue?

Haven't seen any issues either, though the latest message was sent three days ago.

There are indeed some related issues in the mailgun-php repository, but they all seem to be closed. For an example: https://github.com/mailgun/mailgun-php/issues/174 (includes a reply from the MG folks too). Looks like they've made some certificate related updates – see the linked issue for more details and some suggestions for fixing it.

I can confirm that the module is still sending mails ok on my site. No errors.

Mailgun have now added EU as a data territory. This has a different API url so the module will require some updating to add this option. I went to post this as an issue on Github but it looks like the repository has been changed to read only.

1 hour ago, cb2004 said:

Mailgun have now added EU as a data territory. This has a different API url so the module will require some updating to add this option. I went to post this as an issue on Github but it looks like the repository has been changed to read only.

Could you please share a link to the mailgun docs where this is mentioned. Thank you.

EDIT: Never mind. I found it: https://documentation.mailgun.com/en/latest/api-intro.html#mailgun-regions

Hi @gebeer - it looks like @Pierre-Luc is no longer around here - I wonder if you might want to take over maintenance of this module?

Now to the reason I came to this thread - for some reason the Mail Interceptor panel in Tracy doesn't work with this module and so far I can't figure out why because it simply hooks into WireMail::send() which this module extends, the same as @horst's WireMailSMTP module does. Does anyone more familiar with this module have any ideas?

Thanks!

OK, I kinda figured it out. These lines are the culprit:

https://github.com/plauclair/WireMailMailgun/blob/904137e349ac081eee73239bb31b0978b67a00f1/WireMailMailgun.module#L176-L183

/**
     * Handles send() when new WireMail() is used instead
     * of calling wireMail() directly
     */
    public function send()
    {
        return $this->___send();
    }

So this seems to be triggered which prevents the hook to send() from working.

Turns out if I start my mail call with:

$m = new WireMail();

then the Mail Interceptor's hook into WireMail::send works perfectly, but it doesn't work with:

$m = wireMail() 

or:

$m = $mail->new();

Not sure how best to proceed at the moment, especially because this module doesn't seem to be maintained anymore, but I think it's probably getting quite a lot of use.

Any thoughts?

@horst - sorry to ping you, but it's interesting because it turns out the your module doesn't work at all with the:

$m = new WireMail();

approach. So I can see why @Pierre-Luc went with that approach even though it then breaks other hooks to WireMail::send

Just wondering what your thoughts are on not supporting new WireMail() and whether maybe this module should just drop it as well?

Thanks for your thoughts - I am lost without a working MailInterceptor so I definitely would like to get this module changed so that it works without having to maintain my own hacked copy.

6 hours ago, adrian said:

Hi @gebeer - it looks like @Pierre-Luc is no longer around here - I wonder if you might want to take over maintenance of this module?

I just extended the module with some extra methods but am not sure if I am up to maintaining it in the long run. Will have a closer look on the weekend and then get back.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2019 at 11:08 PM, gebeer said:

I just extended the module with some extra methods but am not sure if I am up to maintaining it in the long run. Will have a closer look on the weekend and then get back.

Thanks @gebeer - I think we really need to figure out this issue with new WireMail() not working with WireMailSMTP, but come up with another solution to what is used by this module because of the way it breaks hooking into send(). @ryan - any chance you have a minute to look into this please?

If you are willing to maintain this going forward perhaps we can replace your fork as the repo that is installed from the modules directory.

@adrian  sorry for the late reply. After going through the module code, I feel maintaining this is a bit over my head. Right now I don't have the time resources to take this on. Also I have no idea why the public send method is in there, sorry.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, gebeer said:

@adrian  sorry for the late reply. After going through the module code, I feel maintaining this is a bit over my head. Right now I don't have the time resources to take this on. Also I have no idea why the public send method is in there, sorry.

I totally understand. It's a shame though - I feel like this module is going to be lost. I am a big fan of MailGun and I know Ryan is using this but I'd love to see that send method removed in the official version - I think it's cons outweigh its pros.

Getting a bit OT, but I think in general PW needs to figure out how to handle modules written by folks who've moved on.

I also have made some simple customizations to this module that I feel are worth putting into the official version, and for at least 1 site that run this on, these changes are critical for the module to work. If anyone were to take it over, I could submit a pull request, or describe the change/requirement and let the maintainer implement in their interpretation of best practice.

for one, you might notice that this module's config provides a field for the 'Domain Name'. However, in my case, the 'from' email may use different domains. My Mailgun account has many domains configured.  So instead of the $options array item called CURLOPT_URL using the module's entered domain name, i need it to use the domain from the $mail instance's from/sender. To this end i created a method getDomainName() as follows:

private function getDomainName() {
		return substr(strrchr($this->mail['from'], "@"), 1);
	}

then replace the CURLOPT_URL with

CURLOPT_URL => "{$this->apiUrl}" . $this->getDomainName() . "/messages", 

I guess for this module to be flexible enough going forward, there may need to be an additional setting, where you either enter a domain name in the module config, or you tell the module to 'auto' populate the domain name from the sender domain.

• Like 2

Hey @Macrura - these sound like very useful additions - I haven't had to deal with multiple domains for the one site just yet, but I can see it coming up for me shortly.

I'd love to see this module have a new life. I used to use WireMailSMTP with MailGun, but recently it started having issues with CC'ing so I decided to start using this and it's so much faster using the MailGun API compared with SMTP.

I don't suppose you'd like to step up and take on supporting this? I'd like to, but I already have way too many modules.

Cheers!

• Like 1

Sure, i don't see any reason I couldn't maintain the module; I think it is basically stable and we'd just need to all contribute our changes, test it and then it should be good to go... I'll try and get that setup soon..

• Like 6

Awesome!

Can I make a request to remove the public send() method so that it doesn't break hooks to ___send ? The catch with this is that it's a breaking change for anyone using:

new WireMail()

but I think it's an important change.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

I also re-read this thread and found out why i had to do the custom method to get the sender domain; However, the module does have the ability to change the sending domain on the fly, but it was not working at all when i posted the comment below; this could take some testing to figure out if the added method is necessary, or will be fixed once the send method observes all of the overrides.

Just tested and it is working now, and i'm able to override the sending domain upon instantiation of the mail, therefore the mods i posted above are not necessary; The new version I forked on GH only has the 1 change, which is the commenting out of the send alias.

-----

this is the fork:

https://github.com/outflux3/WireMailMailgun

and i guess once all of the changes are made and it is tested, we could try and see about getting this one switched on the modules directory.

For @adrian's dilemma, i think the easiest thing would be to have a setting in the module config that when clicked causes the module to not include the public send() method;

so the config value is checked and then we include that method from an external file, unless there is a better way. So anyone upgrading would keep the same functionality as before, but can elect to check the box to "remove the public send() " or something like that.

• Like 2

Thanks @Macrura!

One note about the readme - it says:

$mail = WireMail();

I think this should be changed to:

$m = $mail->new();

or at least it should get the case correct so it's wireMail() instead of WireMail()

Regarding a config setting for the public send() method. I think the way you are thinking, but I think we need to work towards it not being there by default. I think if you do a major version number bump before your fork goes into the modules directory we can get away with this. I just think it has the potential to break other modules because of the issue with hooking into send(), most notably is Tracy's Mail Interceptor which I use all the time for testing which I expect others use too.

Wow, yeah i didn't know $mail was a global variable...

I updated the readme a bit; i think a lot if people might be overriding the global mail, because using the examples on this; So we should show both versions; they both seem to work the same.

I commented out the public send();

• Like 1

After further testing, it turned out that the dynamic domain is in fact necessary as i had requested it to be made to the original module author in 6/2016 (https://github.com/plauclair/WireMailMailgun/issues/7#issuecomment-228608931)

The reason is that the messages won't be filed into the correct Mailgun logs unless the CURL domain is set correctly, therefore if you ever want to send from multiple domains from an PW site, the current version of this module won't work when you are not able to override that (such as messages sent by FormBuilder).

I guess that maybe it could be achieved with a hook, but that would be too technical for most users; and people may be using this module and wondering why their messages are going in the wrong logs, or the from email is randomly being changed to postmaster@domain.com (happens when there is a mismatch between the sender domain and the CURL domain).

New version supports the option now...

• Like 3

Hey @Macrura, so glad you are taking this on. Agree it is stable, just needs a little love. In the fork made by @gebeer this supports the regions US and EU, would be great if you could get this into your fork.

• Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By BitPoet
      Here's a little text formatter module that redirects all external links found in a textarea (e.g. for hit counting) to a given URL.
      TextformatterExternalRedirect
      GitHub repo
      As TextFormatters do, this module modifies the contents of the textarea (HTML) at rendering time. It prepends the given URL to the link address for external links (http and https), optionally makes sure that the link is opened in a new window and allows you to add css classes to such links.
      All options can be configured in the module's configuration settings.
      Usage:
      Download the zip archive and extract it to site/modules, the rename the top folder to TextformatterExternalRedirect Go to the backend and select "Modules" -> "Refresh", then click "Install" for "External Link Redirect" Click "Settings" and configure the module
      Go into the field configuration for the field(s) you want this formatter to apply to and add it from the dropdown
      Done, now any external links in the configured fields will have the configured settings applied Feel free to leave feedback and post and questions you have here.

• By teppo
      Hey folks!
      Took a couple of late nights, but managed to turn this old gist of mine into a proper module. The name is SearchEngine, and currently it provides support for indexing page contents (into a hidden textarea field created automatically), and also includes a helper feature ("Finder") for querying said contents. No fancy features like stemming here yet, but something along those lines might be added later if it seems useful (and if I find a decent implementation to integrate).
      Though the API and selector engine make it really easy to create site search pages, I pretty much always end up duplicating the same features from site to site. Also – since it takes a bit of extra time – it's tempting to skip over some accessibility related things, and leave features like text highlighting out. Overall I think it makes sense to bundle all that into a module, which can then be reused over and over again 🙂
      Note: markup generation is not yet built into the module, which is why the examples below use PageArray::render() method to produce a simple list of results. This will be added later on, as a part of the same module or a separate Markup module. There's also no fancy JS API or anything like that (yet).
      This is an early release, so be kind – I got the find feature working last night (or perhaps this morning), and some final tweaks and updates were made just an hour ago 😅
      GitHub repository: https://github.com/teppokoivula/SearchEngine Modules directory: https://modules.processwire.com/modules/search-engine/ Demo: https://wireframe-framework.com/search/ Usage
      Install SearchEngine module. Note: the module will automatically create an index field install time, so be sure to define a custom field (via site config) before installation if you don't want it to be called "search_index". You can change the field name later as well, but you'll have to update the "index_field" option in site config or module settings (in Admin) after renaming it.
      Add the site search index field to templates you want to make searchable. Use selectors to query values in site search index. Note: you can use any operator for your selectors, you will likely find the '=' and '%=' operators most useful here. You can read more about selector operators from ProcessWire's documentation.
      Options
      By default the module will create a search index field called 'search_index' and store values from Page fields title, headline, summary, and body to said index field when a page is saved. You can modify this behaviour (field name and/or indexed page fields) either via the Module config screen in the PocessWire Admin, or by defining $config->SearchEngine array in your site config file or other applicable location:
      $config->SearchEngine = [ 'index_field' => 'search_index', 'indexed_fields' => [ 'title', 'headline', 'summary', 'body', ], 'prefixes' => [ 'link' => 'link:', ], 'find_args' => [ 'limit' => 25, 'sort' => 'sort', 'operator' => '%=', 'query_param' => null, 'selector_extra' => '', ], ]; You can access the search index field just like any other ProcessWire field with selectors:
      if ($q = $sanitizer->selectorValue($input->get->q)) { $results = $pages->find('search_index%=' . $query_string . ', limit=25'); echo $results->render(); echo $results->renderPager(); } Alternatively you can delegate the find operation to the SearchEngine module as well:
      $query = $modules->get('SearchEngine')->find($input->get->q); echo $query->resultsString; // alias for $query->results->render() echo $query->pager; // alias for $query->results->renderPager() Requirements
      ProcessWire >= 3.0.112 PHP >= 7.1.0 Note: later versions of the module may require Composer, or alternatively some additional features may require installing via Composer. This is still under consideration – so far there's nothing here that would really depend on it, but advanced features like stemming most likely would.
      Installing
      It's the usual thing: download or clone the SearchEngine directory into your /site/modules/ directory and install via Admin. Alternatively you can install SearchEngine with Composer by executing composer require teppokoivula/search-engine in your site directory.
    • By teppo
      MarkupMenu is a markup module for generating menu trees. When provided a root page as a starting point, it generates a navigation tree (by default as a HTML "<ul>" element wrapped by a "<nav>" element) from that point onwards. If you've also provided it with current (active) page, the menu will be rendered accordingly, with current item highlighted and items rendered up to that item and its children (unless you disable the "collapsed" option, in which case the full page tree will be rendered instead).
      Modules directory: https://modules.processwire.com/modules/markup-menu/ GitHub repository: https://github.com/teppokoivula/MarkupMenu Usage
      As a markup module, MarkupMenu is intended for front-end use, but you can of course use it in a module as well. Typically you'll only need the render() method, which takes an array of options as its only argument:
      echo $modules->get('MarkupMenu')->render([ 'root_page' => $pages->get(1), 'current_page' => $page, ]); Note: if you omit root_page, site root page is used by default. If you omit current_page, the menu will be rendered, but current (active) page won't be highlighted etc.
      A slightly more complex example, based on what I'm using on one of my own sites to render a (single-level) top menu:
      echo $modules->get('MarkupMenu')->render([ 'current_page' => $page, 'templates' => [ 'nav' => '<nav class="{classes} menu--{menu_class_modifier}" aria-label="{aria_label}">%s</nav>', 'item_current' => '<a class="menu__item menu__item--current" href="{item.url}" tabindex="0" aria-label="Current page: {item.title}">{item.title}</a>', ], 'placeholders' => [ 'menu_class_modifier' => 'top', 'aria_label' => 'Main navigation', ], 'include' => [ 'root_page' => true, ], 'exclude' => [ 'level_greater_than' => 1, ], ]); Note: some things you see above may not be entirely sensible, such as the use of {menu_class_modifier} and {aria_label} placeholders. On the actual site the "nav" template is defined in site config, so I can define just these parts on a case-by-case basis while actual nav markup is maintained in one place.
      Please check out the README file for available render options. I'd very much prefer not to keep this list up to date in multiple places. Basically there are settings for defining "templates" for different parts of the menu (list, item, etc.), include array for defining rules for including in the menu and exclude array for the opposite effect, classes and placeholders arrays for overriding default classes and injecting custom placeholders, etc. 🙂
      MarkupMenu vs. MarkupSimpleNavigation
      TL;DR: this is another take on the same concept. There are many similarities, but also some differences – especially when it comes to the supported options and syntax. If you're currently using MarkupSimpleNavigation then there's probably no reason to switch over.
      I'd be surprised if someone didn't draw lines between this module and Soma's awesome MarkupSimpleNavigation. Simply put I've been using MSN (...) for years, and it's been great – but there are some issues with it, particularly in the markup generation area, and it also does some things in a way that doesn't quite work for me – the xtemplates thing being one of these. In some ways less about features, and more about style, I guess 🙂
      Anyhow, in MarkupMenu I've tried to correct those little hiccups, modernise the default markup, and allow for more flexibility with placeholder variables and additional / different options. MarkupMenu was built for ProcessWire 3.0.112+ and with PHP 7.1+ in mind, it's installable with Composer, and I have a few additional ideas (such as conditional placeholders) still on my todo list.
      One more small(ish) difference is that MarkupMenu supports overriding default options via $config->MarkupMenu. I find myself redefining the default markup for every site, which until now meant that each site had a wrapper function for MarkupSimpleNavigation (to avoid code / config repetition), and this way I've been able to leave that out 🙂
      Requirements
      ProcessWire >= 3.0.112 PHP >= 7.1.0 If you're working on an earlier version of ProcessWire or PHP, use MarkupSimpleNavigation instead.
    • By teppo
      Hey folks!
      I'm happy to finally introduce a project I've been working on for quite a while now: it's called Wireframe, and it is an output framework for ProcessWire.
      Note that I'm posting this in the module development area, maily because this project is still in rather early stage. I've built a couple of sites with it myself, and parts of the codebase have been powering some pretty big and complex sites for many years now, but this should still be considered a soft launch 🙂
      --
      Long story short, Wireframe is a module that provides the "backbone" for building sites (and apps) with ProcessWire using an MVC (or perhaps MVVM – one of those three or four letter abbreviations anyway) inspired methodology. You could say that it's an output strategy, but I prefer the term "output framework" since in my mind the word "strategy" means something less tangible. A way of doing things, rather than a tool that actually does things.
      Wireframe (the module) provides a basic implementation for some familiar MVC concepts, such as Controllers and a View layer – the latter of which consists of layouts, partials, and template-specific views. There's no "model" layer, since in this context ProcessWire is the model. As a module Wireframe is actually quite simple – not even nearly the biggest one I've built – but there's still quite a bit of stuff to "get", so I've put together a demo & documentation site for it at https://wireframe-framework.com/.
      In addition to the core module, I'm also working on a couple of site profiles based on it. My current idea is actually to keep the module very light-weight, and implement most of the "opinionated" stuff in site profiles and/or companion modules. For an example MarkupMenu (which I released a while ago) was developed as one of those "companion modules" when I needed a menu module to use on the site profiles.
      Currently there are two public site profiles based on Wireframe:
      site-wireframe-docs is the demo&docs site mentioned above, just with placeholder content replaced with placeholder content. It's not a particularly complex site, but I believe it's still a pretty nice way to dig into the Wireframe module. site-wireframe-boilerplate is a boilerplate (or starter) site profile based on the docs site. This is still very much a work in progress, but essentially I'm trying to build a flexible yet full-featured starter profile you can just grab and start building upon. There will be a proper build process for resources, it will include most of the basic features one tends to need from site to site, etc. --
      Requirements and getting started:
      Wireframe can be installed just like any ProcessWire module. Just clone or download it to your site/modules/ directory and install. It doesn't, though, do a whole lot of stuff on itself – please check out the documentation site for a step-by-step guide on setting up the directory structure, adding the "bootstrap file", etc. You may find it easier to install one of the site profiles mentioned above, but note that this process involves the use of Composer. In the case of the site profiles you can install ProcessWire as usual and download or clone the site profile directory into your setup, but after that you should run "composer install" to get all the dependencies – including the Wireframe module – in place. Hard requirements for Wireframe are ProcessWire 3.0.112 and PHP 7.1+. The codebase is authored with current PHP versions in mind, and while running it on 7.0 may be possible, anything below that definitely won't work. A feature I added just today to the Wireframe module is that in case ProcessWire has write access to your site/templates/ directory, you can use the module settings screen to create the expected directories automatically. Currently that's all, and the module won't – for an example – create Controllers or layouts for you, so you should check out the site profiles for examples on these. (I'm probably going to include some additional helper features in the near future.)
      --
      This project is loosely based on an earlier project called pw-mvc, i.e. the main concepts (such as Controllers and the View layer) are very similar. That being said, Wireframe is a major upgrade in terms of both functionality and architecture: namespaces and autoloader support are now baked in, the codebase requires PHP 7, Controllers are classes extending \Wireframe\Controller (instead of regular "flat" PHP files), implementation based on a module instead of a collection of drop-in files, etc.
      While Wireframe is indeed still in a relatively early stage (0.3.0 was launched today, in case version numbers matter) for the most part I'm happy with the way it works, and likely won't change it too drastically anytime soon – so feel free to give it a try, and if you do, please let me know how it went. I will continue building upon this project, and I am also constantly working on various side projects, such as the site profiles and a few unannounced helper modules.
      I should probably add that while Wireframe is not hard to use, it is more geared towards those interested in "software development" type methodology. With future updates to the module, the site profiles, and the docs I hope to lower the learning curve, but certain level of "developer focus" will remain. Although of course the optimal outcome would be if I could use this project to lure more folks towards that end of the spectrum... 🙂
      --
      Please let me know what you think – and thanks in advance!
    • By Robin S
      After forgetting the class name of the wonderful AdminPageFieldEditLinks module for what feels like the 100th time I decided I needed to give my failing memory a helping hand...
      Autocomplete Module Class Name
      Provides class name autocomplete suggestions for the "Add Module From Directory" and "Add Module From URL" fields at Modules > New.
      Requires ProcessWire >= v3.0.16.
      Screencast

Installation
      Install the Autocomplete Module Class Name module.
      Configuration
      Add Module From Directory
      Choose the type of autocomplete suggestions list: "Module class names from directory" or "Custom list of module class names". The latter could be useful if you regularly install some modules and would prefer a shorter list of autocomplete suggestions. The list of class names in the modules directory is generated when the Autocomplete Module Class Name module is installed. It doesn't update automatically (because the retrieval of the class names is quite slow), but you can use the button underneath when you want to retrieve an updated list of class names from the directory. Add Module From URL
      If you want to see autocomplete suggestions for the "Add Module From URL" field then enter them in the following format:
      [autocomplete suggestion] > [module ZIP url]
      Example: RepeaterImages > https://github.com/Toutouwai/RepeaterImages/archive/master.zip Awesomplete options
      The "fuzzy search" option uses custom filter and item functions for Awesomplete so that the characters you type just have to exist in the autocomplete suggestion item and occur after preceding matches but do not need to be contiguous. Uncheck this option if you prefer the standard Awesomplete matching. Custom settings for Awesomplete can be entered in the "Awesomplete options" field if needed. See the Awesomplete documentation for more information.  
      https://github.com/Toutouwai/AutocompleteModuleClassName
      https://modules.processwire.com/modules/autocomplete-module-class-name/