Pierre-Luc

WireMail Mailgun

Started to use this module and works fine so far, thanks!

Is there a way to use the built-in WireMail in certain cases? Eg. I need to use MailGun only for newsletter emails.

Just found that I have to comment out this line to make tags work:

$tag = transliterator_transliterate('Any-Latin; Latin-ASCII; [\u0080-\u7fff] remove', $tag);

Could it be the server environment or maybe something else?

this may be a question i'd need to submit as a support ticket to mailgun, as their documentations is pretty sparse, but is it even possible to switch out the sending domain when you send a message, because my CRM app has a selectable "From" address when sending an email and that can be from one of 8 different domains. Since the mailgun api has you put in the api key for a particular domain, will it reject the email if it has a different from domain, or will it auto-detect the domain and switch to that; the difference here between this and Mandrill for example is that Mandrill doesn't require different smtp credentials for each domain...

EDIT: so i reviewed the Mailgun documentation and it does seem that you need to authenticate for the domain you are sending from; so now i wonder if i could just change my script to read the domain from the sender and then set the domain and api key for that message;

$WireMailMailgun->setApiKey( string $apiKey )

$WireMailMailgun->setDomainName( string $domainName ) :cool:

Started to use this module and works fine so far, thanks!

Is there a way to use the built-in WireMail in certain cases? Eg. I need to use MailGun only for newsletter emails.

Hmm, I'm not sure to be honest! I think once you instantiate the WireMail class it will automatically call the installed module. Maybe Ryan has an idea on this.. 

Just found that I have to comment out this line to make tags work:

$tag = transliterator_transliterate('Any-Latin; Latin-ASCII; [\u0080-\u7fff] remove', $tag);

Could it be the server environment or maybe something else?

If you run this :

echo transliterator_transliterate('Any-Latin; Latin-ASCII; [\u0080-\u7fff] remove', "YOUR TAG HERE");

in PHP in interactive mode on your host, (php -a .. then type in commands), what's the output, and what was the exact input for "your tag here".

Also do your setup satisfy both requirements >> PHP >= 5.4.0, PECL int >= 2.0.0? It's weird that it would give out an error since it succeeds checking the function exists. Also anything comes up in Logs > Mailgun ?

EDIT: so i reviewed the Mailgun documentation and it does seem that you need to authenticate for the domain you are sending from; so now i wonder if i could just change my script to read the domain from the sender and then set the domain and api key for that message;

$WireMailMailgun->setApiKey( string $apiKey )

$WireMailMailgun->setDomainName( string $domainName ) :cool:

Bingo! :)

These are my findings - seems that intl is the culprit:

php 7.05
intl 1.1.0

PHP Warning: transliterator_transliterate(): Could not create transliterator with ID "Any-Latin; Latin-ASCII; [\u0080-\u7fff] remove" (transliterator_create: unable to open ICU transliterator with id "Any-Latin; Latin-ASCII; [\u0080-\u7fff] remove": U_INVALID_ID)

There are no related lines in mailgun log txt file.

My tags were simple words like "newsletter" or "test".

@tpr, what OS? I have the same intl version on my test box. It seems your build might be linking the wrong ICU (outdated) package.

I just added a check in the module to test if the transliterator ID was valid on a given system. https://github.com/plauclair/WireMailMailgun/releases/tag/0.4.2

Note that I am not able to replicate your environment or the issue, so please let if know if this release corrects the issue on your end.

• Like 1

it's CentOS 6.6 I don't have direct access to it, only through Plesk.

After the update the tags appear in the MailGun logs, thanks!

• Like 1

This is the first time I've used WireMail and WireMail Mailgun and I'm having a problem where mail is showing as delivered in the Mailgun logs but nothing appears in my inbox, or in spam folder. Solved: see edit below

If someone can confirm I've followed the installation and setup correctly...

1. Open account at Mailgun, choosing domain mg.mydomain.com

2. Set up TXT, CNAME and MX records for mg.mydomain.com at domain registrar, according the values provided by Mailgun. Mailgun verifies these records are set correctly.

3. Installed WireMail Mailgun module

4. Configured WireMail Mailgun module, filling out all fields. Unchecked "Disable cURL SSL Check". Default Sender Email Address: no-reply@mg.mydomain.com (does this need to be an address where there is an actual mailbox to receive replies?)

5. Tried to send test message by putting the following in a template file and viewing from frontend:

$mail = wireMail();
$mail->to('myaddress@gmail.com')->from('no-reply@mg.mydomain.com');
$mail->subject('Testing Mailgun');
$mail->body( 'Just testing.' );
$mail->send();

In the Mailgun dashboard I can see entries in the log for mg.mydomain.com like

Test delivered: no-reply@mg.mydomain.com → myaddress@gmail.com 'Testing Mailgun'

But no mail arrives to me. Mailgun does not show any bounces or errors.

The label "Test delivered" makes me wonder - is Mailgun in some sort of test mode? I'm not using the sandbox feature.

Looked for entries in /site/assets/logs/mailgun.txt but no such log exists. Is that normal?

Any help much appreciated.

Edit: I obviously should have looked more closely at the module config. Maybe this should be unchecked by default? Yeah, excuses, excuses... :)

post-2897-0-47316100-1462498905_thumb.pn

I am not certain, however I noticed that you are including Gmail in your test.  This is a note from the Mailgun User Manual that may apply to your situation.

Why am I not receiving an email when sending via the route with the sending address as a destination?

You’re most likely using GMail for sending your message. From GMail’s documentation (https://support.google.com/mail/troubleshooter/2935079?rd=1):

Finally, if you’re sending mail to a mailing list that you subscribe to, those messages will only appear in ‘Sent Mail.’ This behavior also occurs when sending to an email address that automatically forwards mail back to your Gmail address. To test forwarding addresses or mailing lists, use a different email address to send your message.

When a message from, say, bob@gmail.com goes through a route:

test@mailgun-domain.com -> bob@gmail.com

When this message arrives to GMail, it will have bob@gmail.com as both sender and recipient, therefore GMail will not show it.

In other words GMail does not show you messages you sent to yourself.

The other possibility is that the address had previously experienced a Hard Bounce and is on the ‘do not send’ list. Check the Bounces tab for a list of these addresses and remove the address in question if it is there.

Source:  https://documentation.mailgun.com/faqs.html#why-am-i-not-receiving-an-email-when-sending-via-the-route-with-the-sending-address-as-a-destination

Gmail doesn't like sending anything to the same Gmail address.  You may want to try sending your test using another provider.

• Like 1

Thanks, all solved now as per the edit to my post. Just needed to uncheck "Enable Test Mode" in the module config.

• Like 1

I'm working on converting a site from WireMailSMTP + Mandrill to using Mailgun.
In case anyone else needs to do this i'm posting the steps and snafus here. So far in adapting the existing code, the differences i have logged so far are;

1.)

in WireMailSMTP you have to set sendSingle(true) if you want the messages to each be sent individually, but this is the default for WireMailMailgun, so that call gets removed.

2.)
the method for adding attachments differs:

this:
$mail->attachment(string $filepath);

becomes this:
$mail->addAttachment(string $filepath);

3.)
If your site sends from different domains, then you need to switch that setting before send.
It appears to me that the API key is the same for all my domains, so I should only need to change the one setting when i send the email assuming i have already entered the API key in the WireMailMailgun module settings, then i can extract the domain of sending email address and set the domain to that (and also assuming I have all of those domains configured in Mailgun).

$domain = substr(strrchr($identity->email, "@"), 1);
$mail->setDomainName($domain);

*** This doesn't actually work because the runtime setting is not overriding the domain that is set in the ___send() options. ***

I made modifications to the module and now i have this working with my system; would probably need another setting like "match "sending domain" to "from email" domain" or something and also make the domain field optional in the module settings..

https://github.com/plauclair/WireMailMailgun/issues/7

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Additional comments and observations:

- would also be nice if an attachment() method could simply be added which aliases the other method (would save some code checks)

• Like 1

No. 1 is a violation of the WireMail interface, which says send() should return an integer and not a boolean. This should rather be changed in the module than in user-code. 

• Like 1

you mean so around line 132 changing like this:

switch ($info['http_code']) {
	case 200:
	//return true; // Can't set int for number sent, since Mailgun doesn't return that data
	return 1; // this instead ?
	break;

4 minutes ago, LostKobrakai said:

At least. Better would still be to possibly return the actual number of sent emails. 

I agree but Mailgun doesn't return that info. I felt like returning true might be better since at least it's not giving you fake info. Further faking it might include counting the number of addresses in the emails array, but that feels even worse to me. 

For the other methods, I'd be more than happy if the interface was updated so we could standardize on things like attachments.

I'd like to see that, too, especially as it's probably only left out because it wasn't part of the pw native implementation. Maybe we could just have a WireMailAttachments interface for that?!

• Like 1

You could do

```

return count($this->getToRecipients()) + count($this->getCCRecipients()) + count($this->getBCCRecipients());

```

Well there's quite a few things lacking if you ask me, CC, BCC, attachments, batch mode on/off. I don't know if these are mail() constraints, I never use that thing. Basic things in email protocols are left out I believe because you could hack things up with the headers method, but that's far from an obvious thing especially for beginners. I don't have much preference on adding to the WireMail class, or having a supplemental interface to implement, or else. 

Personally I believe the interface specification for send should not be an int, but a true-ish or a false-ish value. Many ways of sending mail don't return numbers sent, but will tell you if it went ok or not. By the very nature of email, it could take hours/days until an email is certified as being accepted by the receiving servers, and some email servers don't even return accept/decline messages.

true/1…n should be correct return values for success, false/0 should also be correct for failure. It's just a matter of documenting it and using == instead of ===.  It's all fun insisting on integers but if we can't realistically meet those requirements it's just for show..

• Like 2

So after some hours of testing/research/code experiments, that yielded the modifications I made to the module as noted on GitHub, i can now send messages with the ability to switch between the sending domain and it all works. (also see edited post above).

Goodbye Mandrill! :P

• Like 2

On 6/25/2016 at 8:13 AM, Pierre-Luc said:

I agree but Mailgun doesn't return that info.

@Pierre-Luc is there still no way to get feedback on success/errors when sending through the Mailgun API?

I would like to build a Lister(Pro) Action around your module and for that I would like to show results after sending. Something like $mail->getResult(); in WireMailSMTP.

EDIT: Guess I would need to use Mailgun Events for tracking emails. Right?

• Like 1