ProcessWire UK Meetup?

netcarver

Er ... depends which pub you went in.

Try Earls Court - the Aussies down there couldn't tell a Slovakian from a Welshman after about nine in the evening ...

*Joss ducks before someone throws a tinny at him*

(Sorry, that is a ton too many London references - I have probably lost about 90% of my audience)

• Like 1

(Sorry, that is a ton too many London references - I have probably lost about 90% of my audience)

post-1-0-51270200-1358283220_thumb.jpg

:D

And I've probably lost even more with the Fawlty Towers reference there, but trust me it's funny (unless you're Manuel).

Slightly off topic, have you seen Dylan Moran's description of how GB owned the world? it's brilliant!

[NSFW, language]

Let's talk about British Empire. You, Great Britain, once had great style; You just marched in and said: "you, you and you, fuck off, we're having a tea at five." And it took them centuries to realize "hang on! we live here!"

• Like 1

Hey guys,

If the time is right, I'd be happy to join you up there in the north. The closest I've ever got to Manchester was this one time I went to Old Strafford to visit the stadium, so this could be an opportunity to explore the city with some knowledgeable people, pub wise that is. :P 

And I've probably lost even more with the Fawlty Towers reference there, but trust me it's funny (unless you're Manuel).

Haha, nice memories of Manuel! One of our English teachers back in Spain used to make us watch episodes of the Fawlty Towers with I don't know what purpose. She claimed it was to get us acquainted with the British accent. I know. Anyway, I certainly had fun with Manuel and his madness. :) 

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

An not really. My first impression was, that everyone is more polite than in Germany. Now it has normalized but I still like it here.

Most people are nice but that does not has to speak for the millions that are around here.

FYI, here in Croydon is a larger tech start-up scene. Every week there is something you can attend. Look for the Croydon TechCity and the CroydonCreativ.es at Matthews Yard . In the city itself are hundres of other interessting things of course.

Crowdon - that is South London. Completely foreign place full of aliens.

Ask anyone from North London and they will tell you the same thing!

(I am a North Londoner, in case you couldn't guess - though it has been a few years since I last lived there)

People in the UK always talk about a north/south divide between Pete (up north) and Me (down south). But to any Londoner they will immediately think of North and South London and wont even think about the rest of the UK :)

Oh I was the north of London last weekend. They had a good laugh about Croydon. But my company is here and they pay for my appartment so I can't complain ;)

Any good tips on what to do in London beside the tourist stuff?

Stay sober - can be a challenge.

Go up to soho and drink guiness in the basement at The Toucan - it is a Guinness themed pub and is small, cramped, smelly and the wonderful. They also have the best collection of Irish Whiskey anywhere. If Colin still runs it (I haven't been there for years) ask for one of the Pre-1960 Middleton. It used to be £25 per shot!

But gorgeous.

And tell him hi.

While you are up in Soho, I suggest a night at Ronnie Scotts jazz club is in order. Famous and stunning.

You might want to go to Gerard Street or Lyle Street (the tiny China Town). Go to one of the smaller restaurants and have roast pork and rice or a plate of Dimm Sum.

If you are very, very, very brave, there is Comptons in in compton street - they used have a really good drag cabaret, but it can feel dangerous in there. Put it this way, I am straight, but even gay friends were scared of it! :)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Comptons-of-Soho/157845687574555

In the same area is the French House - I used to go in there and buy large bottles of French cider and a couple of glasses. Nice atmos

http://www.frenchhousesoho.com/

My FAVOURTITE dive, however, was the Blues Bar in Kingly Street, near Oxford Circus (all still in the same area). 

http://www.aintnothinbut.co.uk/

When I lived in central london I used to go there a couple of times a week and even played there a couple of times (when people got me drunk enough to persuade me to sing). I have had some fantastic times in there.

Outside of alcohol, depending what you are into, I suggest the Tate Modern on the south bank, the National Theatre (also on the south bank) and the Globe Theatre, though that is open to the elements! (no roof). The Natural history Museum and the Science museum are still wonderful for quiet days. The Natural History is a simply spectacular building.

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/

However, their website is boring - try and get some work while you are there!

Food?

Well, London is the food capital of Europe with some of the best restaurants - and at a high price. But there are places like Efes on great Titchfield street for great turkish food. Owned by Kassim who is a letch, but my flat was dead opposite - best flat I ever had. Also Topkapi on Marylebone high street (still the west end) 

https://plus.google.com/102240451418416030908/about?gl=uk&hl=en

Best take-away kebab ever. Nice people too.

I am a bit out of touch with the food now - Langhams and Odins were two of my favourites. Langham's is owned by Michael Cane.

http://langansbrasserie.com/

I think Odins might have closed. 

That will get you started. To be honest, once you start drinking at the Toucan and the Blues Bar, you will never be seen again. I didn't get out of there for five years!

• Like 4

When we have first international pw meetup, I reserve my seat next to Joss.

Yeah, when is that?

*prods ryan*

We've already done the "if you build it, they will come" part - just needs everyone driving to a cornfield in the middle of nowhere now doesn't it? Preferably with good eateries.

• Like 1

When we have first international pw meetup, I reserve my seat next to Joss.

I don't get to London often, but I suspect next time I do I am going to be walking around constantly thinking that I am being followed by the Finnish contingent.

Mind you, it wont be the first time. Many joyous hours spent with this chappy back in the late 80s: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erkki_Toivanen

Well, since I am single these days, if you all invade, I am happy to show you around the bars sights - as long as someone volunteers to carry my liver.....

• Like 1