Custom Install Admin Login Issue

jose

I created a custom install for a new website.  I changed the pageurl for the admin from "processwire" to "admin" as this is easier for clients to remember.  This was part of the install.sql that was added to the profile.  Everything worked great(install, main home page) except when I try to login to the admin.  The admin page shows up just fine but when I try to login it takes me back to the home page.

I looked at the html source that is being generated and the post address is "./".  I am not sure what I did to mess this up but I would be glad to send you the site profile I created.  Please let me know if there something in the database that I should look at etc..

Thank you in advance for your help.

Strange I tested the install localy and everything worked fine.  I guess it must be a configuration problem on my server. Still not sure what it could be though as the setups are almost identical.

*** Update *** I still can't seem to login, like I said I can access the admin(used to be /processwire/ now /admin/) page just fine. But login takes me back to home page.  Will try and see what I messed up.

*** Update 2 *** When I type the incorrect login it fails with a message so post is working.  When I login correctly I am taken to the home page, very strange.  I made sure my .htaccess file is correct by replacing it with default.  I am not sure where to go from here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

*** Update 3 *** Seems that the sessions folder under assets is not being created, even though permissions are fully open on that folder 777 I will try to see if changing ownership of assets folder will make any difference.  Seems like not creating sessions would be the issue.  Will keep you updated.

I think you are right about the sessions dir. That could definitely account for the issue you are describing. You might want to edit /site/config.php and change "$config->debug = false;" to "$config->debug = true;" to confirm it.

The only other possibility I can think of is if you have turned off the trailing slash in your admin template. The admin template requires the trailing slash. Technically it's possible to turn it off by editing the admin template, and that could cause this same issue you are experiencing. You can tell if this is a problem by looking at the URL when you are on the admin login page. If it is "/admin/" then no problem, but if it's "/admin" (no slash) then that could be a problem. However, I'm guessing it's more likely the sessions directory issue you mentioned.

Fixed:

The directories sessions, logs, files, cache where not being created.  I created them and applied writable permissions to the folders and I can now log into the admin.

A little history on my configuration.  I provide hosting for my clients with a collocated server. So I have many sites with different permissions.  I am also keeping this site under revisions control so I can quickly merge upstream(master repo for processwire) changes as processwire gets updated.  I think that a group flag may have been set for the folder and creating folders was limited to that user.  Once I created the folders and gave write permissions everything seems to be working.

Hope this helps anyone in a similar setup

• 3 months later...