Cycling a lot of pages

valan

Normally if you'd like to sum values of some page field for required pages you do smth like this:

$mypages = wire('pages')->find($myselector);
foreach ($mypages as $mypage) $sum += $mypage->amount;

Assume you have 1000000 pages returned from selector. In this case, approach above doesn't work due to server memory limits. In my case PHP 5.5 just silently stops w/o any error notification))

How this code should be transformed in order to cycle huge number of pages and do not hit memory limit?

If you didn't have so many pages I would say go for something like this where you populate the pageids from your selector in the IN clause.

SELECT SUM(data) AS sum FROM `field_amount` WHERE pages_id IN ( 1234, 2412, 1234 )

But with 1 million page ids in your "IN", that's not going to work :)

What about this:

SELECT SUM(data) AS sum 
FROM `field_amount` 
INNER JOIN `pages` ON `field_amount`.`pages_id` = `pages`.`id`
WHERE `pages`.`templates_id` = 29

The problem with this is that you need to reproduce your initial pages selector - in my example I am just limiting to a template. Do you think you could make this work? What is your actual selector?

• Like 3

If you want to avoid converting the selector to SQL you can let ProcessWire do it for you as teppo has shown in this post:

$selectors = new Selectors("template=blog-post, limit=1000000");
$pagefinder = new PageFinder();
$sql = $pagefinder->getQuery($selectors->getArray(), array())->getQuery();

Then you can modify that or wrap your own select around it:

select sum(data) as sum_amount
from field_amount
where pages_id in ($sql)
  • Like 9

Nice one Jan Romero - I hadn't seen the use of the Selectors class and PageFinder like that.

Putting it all together:

$selectors = new Selectors("template=basic-page");
$pagefinder = new PageFinder();
$sql = $pagefinder->getQuery($selectors->getArray(), array("returnVerbose" => false))->getQuery();
$result = $database->query("SELECT SUM(data) AS sum_amount FROM field_amount WHERE pages_id IN ($sql)");
$sum = $result->fetch(PDO::FETCH_COLUMN);

echo $sum;

Note that I had an SQL error regarding "SQL_CALC_FOUND_ROWS" when I included a limit in the selector. If I removed the SQL_CALC_FOUND_ROWS then it complained of not allowing limit in IN. Remove the limit from the selector and things work just fine.

Also, note that you need to specify "returnVerbose" => false - otherwise you get a php NOTICE: https://github.com/ryancramerdesign/ProcessWire/issues/1734

• Like 5

$sum=0;

$start=0;

$limit=1000;

do{

$mypages=wire('pages')->find("start=$start, limit=$limit, $myselector");

print "processng pages.frm $start<BR>";

foreach ($mypages as $mypage) $sum += $mypage->amount;

wire('pages')->uncacheAll();

$start+=$limit;

}while($mypages->count());
  • Like 1

Wasn't aware of uncacheAll() - sounds as what's needed if you cycle a lot of pages and do smth with page fields (e.g. modifying/saving/etc).

Also never used PageFinder + direct SQL call. It's probably better option if you need to perform simple get operation (like sum).

Good post - will be useful for all who develop sites with a lot of pages.

Does anybody know if it is possible to use PageActions introduced with ProcessLister - in background (w/o frontend)? It works perfectly in frontend and I use it for mass changes, but don't know if the same can be done w/o frontend.

PageActions can easily be called from the api and with the IftRunner you can even queue them for later (or external) processing.

wire('modules')->get("SendEmail") // Get PageActionModule
  ->set("email", "registration")  // Set config values (if needed)
  ->action($page);                // Run action on $page
  • Like 3

@Some - action($item) method gets only one item as an argument. There is executeMultiple($items) but populating $items beforehand may lead to memory issues.

Is there some PW core $class->method($selector) that can get items selector as argument and run PageAction in batches? Or, how to wrap @LostKobrakai code in a cycle that handles items in batches? There is "custom" solution, proposed by @WillyC. Is there another solution that already exists in PW core/how code looks like?