choppingblock

How to get children/subpages of a user

I have started to use PW 3 in my latest project and it's working out really great (as expected).

I have one issue though which I can't figure out.

I am developing an order system, where users can log in, select a product, make some configurations to it and then order the product.

The orders are saved as child pages to each user. So far, no problem.

What I am trying to achieve is to put the orders in a subpage of the user called "orders", for better clarity in the users' structure. So i create a subpage "orders" with the first order of a user, and save the order as a child of this.

- user

- - orders

- - - order1

- - - order2

- - - order3

The problem occurs when the user submits more orders: I can't get the "orders" subpage to put the new order inside it, so an additional "orders" subpage is created with each new order.

- user

- - orders

- - - order1

- - orders

- - - order2

- - orders

- - - order3

This is my approach:

// get the first child of the user page with the template "orders"
    // apparently this does not work as I expected and always returns a NullPage
    $parent = $user->child("template=orders"); 

// if "orders" subpage is a NullPage, create new page
    if ($parent instanceof NullPage) {
        $orderContainer = new Page();
        $orderContainer->parent = $user;
        $orderContainer->template = "orders";
        $orderContainer->title = "Orders";
        $orderContainer->save();
        $parent = $orderContainer;
    }

$order = new Page();
    $order->template = "product-configure";
    $order->title = "Order: " . $order_name;
    $order->parent = $parent;

$order->country = $country;
    $order->publication = $publication;
    $order->comments = $comments;   

$order->save();

Any hints are appreciated...

You probably shouldn't store site content inside the Admin folder, as there are various pages, which are hidden, not viewable by non-superuser and such things. So you'd need to use include=hidden or check_access=0 just to make things work. I'm personally not a fan of this, as any errors made in selectors could lead to being a security hole. I'd rather use a page-field to link users to orders and store the orders under a different parent outside of the admin branch.

• Like 3

Good point.

So then I would create a page "orders" with restricted access, create reference-pages for each user who submits orders and store the orders as child pages of each reference page...

- orders

- - user_reference1

- - - order1

- - - order2

- - user_reference2

- - - order1

Now I just need to have these orders at hand when I open a user page... I think I'll figure that out.

Thanks!

I'd say you're most often looking for orders of a user, so I'd add a page field to the user template, where all orders of that user are added to. Then you can always call something like $user->orders->find("price>50").

I think there should be an identifier field for the assigned user on the order ($page->user_id or something), so that each order knows to which user it belongs (many-to-one relation).

I could fetch all orders of a user by $pages->find("template=order, user_id=$user").

Now I would like to have these orders listed under a new tab in each users template (in addition to the "Content" and "Children" tabs I get when I edit a user).

I don't understand how the system templates are created. Except for the admin template, they don't even use template files. I can change the labels for existing tabs under "Advanced", but how can I add new tabs (and add custom content to them...)?

Just use FieldsetTabOpen and FieldsetClose as normal on the user template, sandwiching the fields you want on a separate tab in between these two. Get to the user template by filtering  for 'show system templates'

Edited by kongondo
  • Like 1

I've always wondered what these are for... :)

I think I have to go with a custom module though. I'm sure I'll be back soon with more questions. ^_^

Thanks a lot for all the useful info!

Hello,

I am new with porcesswire. Could anybody explain how to get a page list to the user-tab.

I have a page abo with the childs for each ordered abo:

abo
-- order1
-- order2

The order-pages (order1, order2,...) do have the following fields:

• title (should I make it not global and remove?)
  • user (referenze to user-page)
  • course (reference to course (abo))
  • ... and some other

How can I show a list of orders related to the user in the user-tab? I made a tab with a page-reference field. But then I have to select the order-pages. What field type is to use to get a preselected list of all orders of this user and how can I do the preselection?

Thanks

Hi @pout, welcome to the PW forums. 🙂

If I understand right you have a Page Reference field "user" in your "order" template, and a Page Reference field "orders" in your "user" template. You can use the Connect Page Fields module to link these two Page Reference fields together - see the module readme for more information.

Thanks, that module works good!

But I think I, don't need this two way binding. I only would need a linked list of the order-pages where the user is selected in the user field of the order-page at the user page.

Is this possible? Thanks.