Failed login for 'guest' - Guest user may not login

blacksrv

Hi, I'm having problems with a custom login.

I test almost everything I found in the forum:

$this->users->setCurrentUser($user);
$this->session->forceLogin($user);
$this->session->login( $name, $pass );
$this->session->_user_id = $user->id;
Nothing works, I always get a failed login for guest.

The $user exists, is created I can track the id and everything.

Help needed!!!!

Thanks
Edited by LostKobrakai
Added Codeblock

The "guest" user can't login - simple as that really :) That account is just to determine what access all non logged in users have to the site.

Is not a guest user, is a brand new user (or an existing one):

$name = $user->name;
$user->of( false );
$user->pass = $pass;
$user->save();

You can't get the password like that and use it to log in - it is encrypted. What you need is:

$session->forceLogin($user)

Read more about it here:

https://processwire.com/blog/posts/processwire-2.6.8-brings-new-version-of-reno-admin-theme-and-more/#new-session-gt-forcelogin-user-method-to-login-user-without-a-password

PS Sorry, I see that you already tried the forceLogin option. 

I think you need to give some role to the user you are trying to log-in, otherwise they will just get the guest role (and they can't be logged in). See http://processwire.com/api/variables/user/#examples

Also beware of using $user as your own variable, as you risk overwriting the built-in $user object.

Actually I just tested and I can successfully use forceLogin to login a user with just a guest role. The only time I can replicate that error is if I try to login the user named "guest".

Keep in mind that:

$this->session->forceLogin($user);

will try to login the current user in the $user object, which will be the "guest" user.

You need to specify the name of the user you are trying to login:

$this->session->forceLogin('testuser');

or get the user object first, like:

$u = $users->get('testuser');
$this->session->forceLogin($u);

Remember it's never a good idea to overwrite $user.

• Like 1

@Adrian & @DaveP, thank you for the time, I'll try to clarify a few things:

The error comes from the Social Login plugin that I modify myself, I didn't change that but I already encountered that error in another page that I made and has nothing to do with social login.

I'll put the complete code to explain that I already have the $user:

$social_id = $provider_name . '-' . $user_profile->identifier;
$display_name = $user_profile->displayName;

$user = $this->users->get( "social_id=$social_id" );

// Create a random pass to use in login
$pass = self::passwordGen();

if ( $user->id ) {
$name = $user->name;
// User has logged in earlier, change its password
$user->of( false );
$user->pass = $pass;
$user->save();
} else {
if ( property_exists( $user_profile, 'emailVerified' ) ) {
$name = $this->sanitizer->pageName( $user_profile->emailVerified );
} else {
$name = self::passwordGen();
}
// Create the user
$user = new User;
$user->name = $name;
$user->pass = $pass;
if ( property_exists( $user_profile, 'email' ) ) {
$user->email = $user_profile->email;
}
$user->social_id = $social_id;
$user->oauth = serialize( $user_profile );
$user->addRole( self::socialLoginPagePath );
$user->roles->add( $this->roles->get( "guest" ) );
$user->roles->add( $this->roles->get( "members" ) );
$user->activation_key = "0";
$user->save();
}
//$this->session->forceLogin($user);
//$this->users->setCurrentUser($user);

Well, I don't know what passwordGen() returns so it's a bit hard to tell what's going on. Have you checked the values of $name and $pass right before you try to log them in?

Regardless, as I mentioned above, you shouldn't be overwriting $user - try $u or similar.

Also, please consider indenting your code here - it's hard to follow like that :)

• Like 1

passwordGen is just a pass generator, is working. 

In my code I delete a commented line with an echo with the name and pass.

Was indented in my paste, I'll check next time.

Edit:

I have the same problem in the Forgot Password Module, according to the log: 

2016-03-01 21:05:39 guest social-login/?provider=facebook Error: Failed login for 'guest' - Guest user may not login

If it's just a password generator, then why are you assigning $name to its results?

I suggest you start by taking the output of $name and $pass (from that echo line) and in a template file try the login command there to make sure it is working.

I would also like to know that the new user is definitely being created and the roles you want are being successfully added.

I still keep coming back to that initial error - it suggests to me that the user you are trying to login is "guest" which suggests there is something wrong with $name or $user depending on which you try. It also might be related to overwriting $user - have you tried using $u ?

• Like 1

If it's just a password generator, then why are you assigning $name to its results?

I suggest you start by taking the output of $name and $pass (from that echo line) and in a template file try the login command there to make sure it is working.

I would also like to know that the new user is definitely being created and the roles you want are being successfully added.

I still keep coming back to that initial error - it suggests to me that the user you are trying to login is "guest" which suggests there is something wrong with $name or $user depending on which you try. It also might be related to overwriting $user - have you tried using $u ?

First of all, thank your the help. 

Now I'm using $u as the var, but nothing changes.

What you are saying about $name = self::passwordGen(), is when facebook doesn't provide the email. I tested with a blank user and an existing one but it's the same.

I'll try to do a re write and see where I made the mistake.

Edit: I have no idea why this code is no working:

$u = $users->get( "4930" );
if ( $u->id ) {
  $name = $u->name;
  $pass = 'Demo123';
  $login = $session->login($name, $pass);
  $session->forceLogin($u);
  $users->setCurrentUser($u);
}
I got 2 errors: guest http://localhost/ Error: Failed login for 'guest' - Guest user may not login (of course id 4930 exists), so it's trying 2 times.

Firstly, this should be sufficient - you don't want to try logging in more then once.

$u = $users->get(4930);
if ( $u->id ) {
}

The first part of That error message is coming from: https://github.com/ryancramerdesign/ProcessWire/blob/980ce4f0be2054dfbad4a7b334d35bdca42da7da/wire/core/Session.php#L520

which shows that it is definitely receiving the $name populated as "guest". I realize that isn't what you are passing to it - so I am definitely confused :)

The second part is coming from:

https://github.com/ryancramerdesign/ProcessWire/blob/980ce4f0be2054dfbad4a7b334d35bdca42da7da/wire/core/Session.php#L488

which checks this:

$user->id == $this->wire('config')->guestUserPageID

I'd love if you could echo out the contents of $name and $user in that login function (starting here: https://github.com/ryancramerdesign/ProcessWire/blob/980ce4f0be2054dfbad4a7b334d35bdca42da7da/wire/core/Session.php#L435) to see what it is receiving and see if you can figure out at what point in that fuinction it is failing.

• Like 1

Firstly, this should be sufficient - you don't want to try logging in more then once.

$u = $users->get(4930);
if ( $u->id ) {
}
The first part of That error message is coming from: https://github.com/ryancramerdesign/ProcessWire/blob/980ce4f0be2054dfbad4a7b334d35bdca42da7da/wire/core/Session.php#L520

which shows that it is definitely receiving the $name populated as "guest". I realize that isn't what you are passing to it - so I am definitely confused :)

I'm getting crazy with this, after 4 hours with the same I really don't have a clue.

Let see:

$u = $users->get(4930);
if ( $u->id ) {
    echo '$name: '.$u->name.' - id:'.$u->id;
}
It returns:

$name: demo - id:4930

The second part is coming from:

https://github.com/ryancramerdesign/ProcessWire/blob/980ce4f0be2054dfbad4a7b334d35bdca42da7da/wire/core/Session.php#L488

which checks this:

$user->id == $this->wire('config')->guestUserPageID
I'd love if you could echo out the contents of $name and $user in that login function (starting here: https://github.com/ryancramerdesign/ProcessWire/blob/980ce4f0be2054dfbad4a7b334d35bdca42da7da/wire/core/Session.php#L435) to see what it is receiving and see if you can figure out at what point in that fuinction it is failing.

Ok, when I add on: https://github.com/ryancramerdesign/ProcessWire/blob/980ce4f0be2054dfbad4a7b334d35bdca42da7da/wire/core/Session.php#L435

echo $name;
it return a "guest", so no $name is getting into that function.

Edit: Updated to 2.7.3 (was using 2.7.2) still the same.  :'(

Edit 2: echoed on 506 session.php returns correct id, but echo on 436 return 'guest'.

Edited by blacksrv

I am not surprised that $user is undefined on 436 - it isn't passed to this function. Try echoing $user->id at 453. 

What about in here: line 505?

public function forceLogin($user) {
    echo $user->id;
    return $this->login($user, '', true);
}

I am not surprised that $user is undefined on 436 - it isn't passed to this function. Try echoing $user->id it at 453. 

What about in here: line 505?

public function forceLogin($user) {
    echo $user->id;
    return $this->login($user, '', true);
}

Yes, I notice my error and correct it. It returns '4930'.

Ok, what about getting $user->id and $name after this line:

https://github.com/ryancramerdesign/ProcessWire/blob/980ce4f0be2054dfbad4a7b334d35bdca42da7da/wire/core/Session.php#L440

We know that a $user object is making it into the login function so we need to figure out where it is getting messed up. Maybe it's not passing the:

if(is_object($name) && $name instanceof User) {

condition for some reason?

I hope I am not taking you on a wild goose chase here - this is pretty bizarre - I feel like I am missing something obvious.

There is something weird happening, I'll start uninstalling plugins to see if something is messing up with that.

Thanks adrian for your help.

Yeah - it sounds like maybe something is hooking into Session::login()

I'd grep your site/modules directory for that hook.