DigitalOcean VPS

monchu

Hi,

I'm testing digitalocean vps for pw development and plan to use it for live production. So far the server perfomance is good and their pricing is reasonable as well.

I would like to know any feedback for their services from members here who are experienced using this server?

Thanks

Thanks all for the feedback.

I'm using their singapore location and the ftp speed from melbourne is faster compare to my web hosting server in US.

@Sergio, for the laravel service is it once-off fee for setup the server or I have to pay them on monthly fee bases?

I've been using DigitalOcean for about 3 years now.

The upsides are:

- cheap 

- they charge by the hour, so you can create and destroy droplets all you want (for testing/learning) without incurring large fees.

- lots of tutorials if you're interested in learning how to do a lot of stuff

- 99% uptime for real. Never experienced any downtime in 3 years.

- freedom! Since it's an unmanaged VPS, you get to choose exactly what's in it.

Downsides:

- fixed plans. You can't customize your VPS specs outside of the preconfigured ones.

- you have to do everything yourself. If you're new to unmanaged VPS's, it will take a lot of trial and error to get things just right.

All in all, it was a great experience. I highly recommend it specially if you like learning about how to manage your own VPS.

Also, try to look into AjentiV. It's a very cool VPS manager that I promote just because I think it's awesome and it's free, just like Processwire. <3

• Like 3