Page-based comments?

Hi all, as some of you will know I have been working on a forum solution. My initial code wasn't really talked about so I decided to split the code into two - code for the BB and code for the page-based comments module.

I have been working on a page-based comments module over the last day or so, but I wanted to know if anyone else is interested? If so, what data would you want to store? So far I have the following:

ip
user_agent
comment_content
votes
stars
If you're wondering why I would want to create a page-based comments module when we already have Ryan's FieldType, then the answer is simple. A page-based module makes it a lot easier to extend to the novice. If you want to use CKeditor, then it's easy enough to achieve with a page-based version.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Things like IP address or user agent could go to a module which monitors visitors. Also, isn't 'vote' very much similar to like, unless you're integrating with FB like? Rating is actually a nice thing to have. You can have a look at the CommentForm module, i think processwire has rating star built-in (not very easy to use, and un-documented as well).

Consider in your comment module containing username/email (for reply to later) and depth of comment level.

Sorry for the delays again. I've had a lot of bad luck lately and a close death in the family, so I've not had much motivation to continue with these side projects. I would love to connect this with my forum module and make it plugin based, but sadly I have no idea how to do a lot things due to the lacking module documentation. As if stands it's just a straight forward page-based comments module. I have a lot of ideas, but I don't have the means to realise them due to the minimal documentation and examples. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, if PW wishes to expand and be appealing to new users, it needs to have ample documentation and examples. As it stands, it's like trying to rebuild a V8 engine without any instructions. It can be done, but with the manual it can be done in a fraction of the time.

Oh no problem with delays - we have no contract it's all sparetime and fun and times are not always funny...

My condolence for you and your family.

Yes your are right the module development is a little lack of examples but some of the existing modules (from ryan and others) give very good insights on most of the things...For me i'm not a developper but i was able to create 2-3 little modules and/or adapt others...

May we could team up on this if you have some further time and motivation later this year.

Don't hesitate to write me a PM on this topic - nevertheless i like your concept of pagebased comments and would be proud to help even if i not the real PW dev you may wish/need to team up ;)

Best regards and wishes mr-fan

• Like 2

Oh no problem with delays - we have no contract it's all sparetime and fun and times are not always funny...

My condolence for you and your family.

Yes your are right the module development is a little lack of examples but some of the existing modules (from ryan and others) give very good insights on most of the things...For me i'm not a developper but i was able to create 2-3 little modules and/or adapt others...

May we could team up on this if you have some further time and motivation later this year.

Don't hesitate to write me a PM on this topic - nevertheless i like your concept of pagebased comments and would be proud to help even if i not the real PW dev you may wish/need to team up ;)

Best regards and wishes mr-fan

I'm not a developer either, and without PW I wouldn't really have bothered with PHP to this extent. PW is easy to use, but it's the documentation that holds it back, but you know that already :D I'd be glad to work with more people on this and also the forum module. I have a lot of ideas, but not the best coding experience. I'll be in touch, and thanks for your kind words.

Sorry to hear about your loss, GM.

Again, thanks for your kind words. Chin up and onwards.

• Like 2