PW 3.0.9: New long-click and save actions

ryan

For this week we've got a new version of ProcessWire 3.x, version 3.0.9. This version adds some useful UI enhancements in the admin that were originally envisioned by members of the ProcessWire community. ProcessWire 3.0.9 and also has a few other refactoring, bug fixes and tweaks. We've also got more info on the new version of ProDrafts released yesterday. 

https://processwire.com/blog/posts/processwire-3.0.9-adds-new-long-click-and-save-actions/

• Like 14

I'm curious every week, what surprises you will pull out of the hat – feeling ProcessWire is a "living" thing, growing and growing...

ProDrafts looks so great, especially the side-by-side preview – so let's do a purchase...

EDIT:

+1 for adding support for Repeater / Repeater Matrix in one of the next versions...

• Like 4

Nice update, Ryan! My only suggestion would be to change "Publish + Exit" to "Publish + Close" as "Exit" seems a little much, if you know what I mean...

:)

I agree. And I'd like to suggest "Publish + Add new" to "Publish + Add Another" as it is a bit more clear in suggesting: "Another of the same template". 

One more thing, maybe it's a good thing to change the button to be like this example attached. Not advanced users may find it easier to understand.

post-367-0-03132300-1456671952_thumb.png

• Like 10

One more thing, maybe it's a good thing to change the button to be like this example attached. Not advanced users may find it easier to understand.

This is quite a change to current implementation, but I'll have to agree. A split button is widely used and well known pattern, while the delayed dropdown we've got now is pretty much unknown, at least to me.. and probably most regular users.

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Ivan,

there is no long-click action on the save button. Only on the edit and view buttons in the page lister, as you already know.

I think you mixed it up, with the long-hover over the save button to get more options.  ;)

• Like 2

Hello Ivan,

there is no long-click action on the save button. Only on the edit and view buttons in the page lister, as you already know.

I think you mixed it up, with the long-hover over the save button to get more options.  ;)

So this is a nice example of the confusing nature of any "long-do-this-or-that" interface constructs. I never liked them. They are used all over the place (tv front panel controls, watches, touch screen devices) but it does not mean it is an intuitive control method. Luckily the virtual screen of a computer is not limited to a few number of buttons, so I do not understand why this confusing way of controlling things should be used at all.

• Like 4