adrian

Tracy Debugger

Hi Adrian,

1-I just set PW’s debug mode in the config file…I think previously it was set to false, but tracy was working anyway. 

The other questions I am not sure how to go about solving. I think I will try to uninstall then reinstall Tracy first, if that does not work I will see if I can go over each bullet point. Thanks!

3 minutes ago, ryanC said:

I think previously it was set to false, but tracy was working anyway

That setting doesn't affect Tracy's behavior, but if Tracy isn't working it will provide info that you wouldn't have otherwise.

Let me know how you go with reinstalling, or looking at those bullet points.

• Like 1

Hi, I just uninstalled/reinstalled, still just that little icon on the left hand side. 

-In my Chrome dev area I get network errors, but none appear to be about Tracy.
-I don’t know how to check if there are permission issues in the Tracy folder
-I went here to download Tracy…https://tracy.nette.org/
and it seems to have the same folders and files that processwire installed.

I think yesterday (when it was working) I minimized the panel by clicking the little arrow and I don't remember seeing it after that. 

1 minute ago, ryanC said:

I think yesterday (when it was working) I minimized the panel by clicking the little arrow and I don't remember seeing it after that. 

What happens when you click the icon to maximize it :)

That's the thing, it's not behaving like a link. When I hover over it, I get a tooltip that says it's Tracy, but that's it. My cursor doesn't change like it would if I was hovering over a link, it's just like its inline text. 

So when I hit inspect element (over the icon) those are the errors in the screenshot from my first post.

Just now, ryanC said:

That's the thing, it's not behaving like a link. When I hover over it, I get a tooltip that says it's Tracy, but that's it. My cursor doesn't change like it would if I was hovering over a link, it's just like its inline text. 

Ok, sorry, I jumped to a quick conclusion there :)

I think the key error in the console is the 403 - I think that is likely the file permission issue. If you go to the Network tab and reload the page, hopefully you can see the file that is not being loaded. This comes back to my file permission request. Can you temporarily set all files in /site/modules/TracyDebugger to 0777 so we can see if that is the issue. Obviously we'll sort out properly after that.

1 minute ago, ryanC said:

Here's everything in one window:

You still haven't clicked on the Network tab.

I still think you should try the 0777 because I think that's very likely the problem.

Do I make that change to the "TracyDebugger.module" file on my desktop, or is this in the processwire api itself?

Just now, ryanC said:

Do I make that change to the "TracyDebugger.module" file on my desktop, or is this in the processwire api itself?

Let's take this to PM to avoid spamming all the followers here :)

Ok, @szabesz, @bernhard and anyone else who is interested :)

I have started populating the ReadMe with documentation (https://github.com/adrianbj/TracyDebugger).

I have made a start on the Table of Contents (TOC) and done a quick population of some content for Captain Hook and the Console. Basically just copied from the original Tracy blog post at the moment.

The TOC links work on Github, but unfortunately they don't work in @netcarver's Module Release Notes, but I doubt there is anything that can be done about that. CTRL/CMD+F always works fine though.

I might spend some more time today fleshing things out a little more, but I would really love some help populating these docs if anyone feels motivated - PR's gratefully accepted :)

• Like 2

@adrian I'll see what I can do over the weekend to try and get things working for TOCs in the readme files. Release Notes displays any files that start with "readme" - so you can split different topics into different readme files if that helps.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, netcarver said:

Remember, Release Notes displays any and all files that start with readme - so you can split different topics into different readme files if that helps.

I thought about that, but I think without a way to link from one file to another it would actually be a poorer experience in my use case, but I'll keep it in mind as the docs start to flesh out - they could end up quite large :)

2 hours ago, adrian said:

I have started populating the ReadMe with documentation (https://github.com/adrianbj/TracyDebugger).

Minor change of plan. The ReadMe was going to be too long for the entry in the modules directory and also the TOC links didn't work there, so I have moved the docs into DOCUMENTATION.md and @netcarver has committed a change to ModuleReleaseNotes (which if you don't have, you should get) so that this DOCUMENTATION.md will now be displayed in the module settings, like this:

5a31c282d221b_ScreenShot2017-12-13at3_48_12PM.png.53750ae4740c6740ff845406c1a6b303.png

I think I am really happy with this approach!

Once the docs are more comprehensively populated, I will adjust the links from the Selector panel info icons to point to the appropriate panel info here, rather than the old blog post.

• Like 4

Hi @adrian,

I'm running 4.8.23 on localhost (pw 3.0.62) and I'm getting the following error when I enable the snippet runner:

UnexpectedValueException: RecursiveDirectoryIterator::__construct(/xxx/site/templates/TracyDebugger/snippets/): failed to open dir: No such file or directory in /xxx/site/modules/TracyDebugger/panels/SnippetRunnerPanel.php:254

Permissions are 777 on snippets folder.

Obviously I missed something, I just don't know what. :)

1 minute ago, rick said:

Hi @adrian,

I'm running 4.8.23 on localhost (pw 3.0.62) and I'm getting the following error when I enable the snippet runner:

UnexpectedValueException: RecursiveDirectoryIterator::__construct(/xxx/site/templates/TracyDebugger/snippets/): failed to open dir: No such file or directory in /xxx/site/modules/TracyDebugger/panels/SnippetRunnerPanel.php:254

Permissions are 777 on snippets folder.

Obviously I missed something, I just don't know what. :)

Do you have the config setting for the snippet runner pointing to the correct folder - remember there are two options?

2 minutes ago, adrian said:

Do you have the config setting for the snippet runner pointing to the correct folder - remember there are two options?

My bad. I had snippets under modules. Since I don't want extra stuff in my templates folder I set it to use assets. Works fine now. Sorry for the oversight on my part.

• Like 1

I've had this issue for a while but am just now getting around to posting about it – if i am seeing this correctly, minimizing the tracy bar is adding a 'hidden' class to the body, which makes any site using bootstrap turn completely white, since in bootstrap framework, there is this rule:

.hidden {
    display: none;
    visibility: hidden;
}

would be great if it didn't do that, since it scares some people when they minimize the toolbar and lose the site;

• Like 1

Thanks for the report @Macrura - I have a fix in place here and I'll commit later today or tomorrow - just in the middle of some much larger changes. 

• Like 2

hi @adrian

today I revisited my old idea of a hook recorder ( see https://processwire.com/talk/topic/10857-making-hooks-visible-hookrecorder/ and this post by @Robin S https://processwire.com/talk/topic/12208-tracy-debugger/?do=findComment&comment=137508 ). 

I tried another approach than Robin suggested and failed  (just found his post now by coincidence) :) Another possibility might be to modify the Filecompiler somehow so that it adds logging functions to every "public function ___" method.

I think hooks are still hard to grasp, especially for new users. See https://processwire.com/talk/topic/18037-2-date-fields-how-to-ensure-the-second-date-is-higher/?do=findComment&comment=158168 for example (that brought up my idea of the hookrecorder again). Robins solution does not sound too hard to implement. Maybe it's even easier now you integrated the ready/init/finished option for the console?

But even for advanced developers this feature could be very handy i think! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and thanks for all the input for datatables ;)

Hey @bernhard - I'd be happy to implement this in Tracy.

But first, I think I need to better understand exactly what you want to see in the output. Have you looked at the "Hooks Triggered" section of the Debug Mode panel?  That is called on each page request. What additional information would want to see. Sorry, I feel like I am not quite fully getting it yet.

Thanks!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, adrian said:

But first, I think I need to better understand exactly what you want to see in the output. Have you looked at the "Hooks Triggered" section of the Debug Mode panel?  That is called on each page request. What additional information would want to see. Sorry, I feel like I am not quite fully getting it yet.

Thanks adrian. I've never really used the debug tools as I didn't find them really helpful. Maybe I'm missing something and just don't know how to use them properly? But what I wanted to achieve with the hookrecorder was some kind of execution plan of all hookable methods. A list where you can see which method get's called after the other. Ideally it would also show some additional information (like which page was saved, wich arguments where provided...).

Maye it would also be possible to have some kind of nesting in it? The result could be something like this:

ProcessPageView::execute
ProcessPageView::ready
	ProcessPageEdit::buildForm (id=mypageid, ...)
		InputfieldWrapper::render (name=myfield, ...)
			Inputfield::render (name=myfield1, ...)
			Inputfield::render (name=myfield2, ...)
			Inputfield::render (name=myfield3, ...)
ProcessPageView::finished

I have no idea if that Execution Plan is correct... I'm quite familiar with hooking all around and looking for the right hook in the code but still I don't know exactly WHAT is going on WHEN. But looking on sime kind of list like above everybody would instantly get what is going on and would get a tremendously better understanding of how pw works. Then one could go further and look into the related class' code and inspect it.

This list could also show additional info, as I already mentioned. And what I mean is on the one hand information about some variables what is currently happening (like which field is going to be rendered etc.) and on the other hand maybe it could list all hooks that are currently applied to this method (similar to the hooks list of the debug tools, listing hooks by priority so that you instantly get an idea of what is going on).

I think such a tool would not only be of HUGE help for newbies but also for experienced devs. For example you could have a problem with some kind of pagesave actions... you have a hook that should change the page title to "myval" after every pagesave...

Pages::save (id=123)
	execute hook from file /site/ready.php on line 12: collapsed hook code
		[...] $page->title = 'myval'; [...]
Pages::saveReady (id=123)
	execute hook from file /site/modules/mymodule.module.php on line 240:
		[...] $page->title = 'my wrong value'; [...]
Pages::saved (id=123)
	no hooks executed

you would instantly see what's going on and that there is a conflicting saveReady hook overwriting the page title.

I hope you get my point now. Or maybe I should start using XDebug and that's exactly what it is doing? :) 

PS: The list of hooks we have in the debug tools seems to be a list of all active hooks? And the sorting order is not helpful for me - it is even confusing... Is there any system in the order they are presented?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bernhard said:

But what I wanted to achieve with the hookrecorder was some kind of execution plan of all hookable methods.

So basically a stack trace of hooks and their parameters and results. Correct?  Personally, I think this would be great, especially for those of us who have not dove into the hook pool yet.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By bernhard
      Some of you might have followed the development of this module here: https://processwire.com/talk/topic/15524-previewdiscussion-rockdatatables/ . It is the successor of "RockDataTables" and requires RockFinder to get the data for the grid easily and efficiently. It uses the open source part of agGrid for grid rendering.

WHY?
      ProcessWire is awesome for creating all kinds of custom backend applications, but where it is not so awesome in my opinion is when it comes to listing this data. Of course we have the built in page lister and we have ListerPro, but none of that solutions is capable of properly displaying large amounts of data, for example lists of revenues, aggregations, quick and easy sorts by the user, instant filter and those kind of features. RockGrid to the rescue 😉 

Features/Highlights:
      100k+ rows Instant (client side) filter, search, sort (different sort based on data type, eg "lower/greater than" for numbers, "contains" for strings) extendable via plugins (available plugins at the moment: fullscreen, csv export, reload, batch-processing of data, column sum/statistics, row selection) all the agGrid features (cell renderers, cell styling, pagination, column grouping etc) vanilla javascript, backend and frontend support (though not all plugins are working on the frontend yet and I don't plan to support it as long as I don't need it myself)  
      Limitations:
      While there is an option to retrieve data via AJAX the actual processing of the grid (displaying, filtering, sorting) is done on the client side, meaning that you can get into troubles when handling really large datasets of several thousands of rows. agGrid should be one of the most performant grid options in the world (see the official example page with a 100k row example) and does a lot to prevent problems (such as virtual row rendering), but you should always have this limitation in mind as this is a major difference to the available lister options that do not have this limitation.
      Currently it only supports AdminThemeUikit and I don't plan to support any other admin theme.

Download: https://gitlab.com/baumrock/FieldtypeRockGrid
      Installation: https://gitlab.com/baumrock/RockGrid/wikis/Installation
      Quikckstart: https://gitlab.com/baumrock/RockGrid/wikis/quickstart
      Further instructions: https://gitlab.com/baumrock/RockGrid/wikis/quickstart#further-instructions
      German Translation File: site--modules--fieldtyperockgrid--fieldtyperockgrid-module-php.json
      Changelog: https://gitlab.com/baumrock/FieldtypeRockGrid/raw/master/changelog.md

Module status: alpha, License: MIT
      Note that every installation and uninstallation sends an anonymous google analytics event to my google analytics account. If you don't want that feel free to remove the appropriate lines of code before installation/uninstallation.

Contribute:
      You can contribute to the development of this and other modules or just say thank you by
      testing, reporting issues and making PRs at gitlab liking this post buying me a drink: paypal.me/baumrock/5 liking my facebook page: facebook.com/baumrock hiring me for pw work: baumrock.com  
      Support: Please note that this module might not be as easy and plug&play as many other modules. It needs a good understanding of agGrid (and JavaScript in general) and it likely needs some looks into the code to get all the options. Please understand that I can not provide free support for every request here in the forum. I try to answer all questions that might also help others or that might improve the module but for individual requests I offer paid support for 60€ per hour (excl vat).

Use Cases / Examples:
      Colored grid cells, Icons, Links etc. The Grid also has a "batcher" feature built in that helps communicating with the server via AJAX and managing resource intensive tasks in batches:

Filters, PW panel links and instant reload on panel close:

You can combine the grid with a chart library like I did with the (outdated) RockDataTables module:

• By thomasaull
      Some time ago I created a site profile for creation of a REST API with ProcessWire. Since I kept struggeling with updating stuff between different projects which use this, I decided to convert it into a module. It is now ready for testing: https://github.com/thomasaull/RestApi
      Additionally I added a few small features:
      automatic creation of JWT Secret at module install routes can be flagged as auth: false, which makes them publicly accessible even though JWT Auth is activated in module settings To check things out, download and install the module and check the folder /site/api for examples.
      If you find any bugs or can think of improvements, please let me know!
    • By kongondo
      Sites Manager

16 September 2018:
      FOR NOW, PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS MODULE IN A PRODUCTION SITE. A  RECENT ProcessWire UPDATE HAS BROKEN THE MODULE. I AM WORKING ON A FIX.

################

Sites Manager is a module for ProcessWire that allows Superusers to easily create/install ProcessWire sites on the same serverspace the module is running in. Only Superusers can use the module. You can create both stand-alone and multi-sites.

Single/Stand-alone Sites
      Stand-alone or single-sites are sites that will run in their own document root/directory with their own wire and site folders, .htaccess, index.php, etc. In other words, a normal ProcessWire site.
      Multiple Sites
      Multi-sites are sites that will run off one wire folder (shared amongst two or more sites) each having their own site folder and database. In this regard, it is important to note that Sites Manager is not in itself a multiple sites solution! Rather, it is a utility that helps you create multi-sites to be run using the ProcessWire core multiple sites feature. For more on this core feature, see the official ProcessWire documentation, specifically the solution referred to as Option #1.
      Option #1 approach requires the site admin to initially install ProcessWire in a temporary directory for each new site. The directory then needs to be renamed as site-xxx, where ‘xxx’ is any name you want to use to differentiate the installation from other sites, before it is moved to the webroot. For instance, site-mysite, site-another, site-whatever. In addition, the /wire/index.config.php file must be copied/moved to the webroot. Each time a site is added, the index.config.php has to be edited to add ‘domain’ => ‘site-directory’ key=>value pairs for the site. This process can become a bit tedious. This module aims to automate the whole multi-site site creation process.
      The module is based off the official ProcessWire installer. Creating a site is as simple as completing and submitting a single form! You also have the option to type and paste values or reuse a pre-defined install configuration.

The module will:
      Install a ProcessWire site in your named directory, applying chmod values as specified
      Move the directory to your webroot
      Update/Create a Superuser account as per the submitted form, including setting the desired admin theme and colour
      For multi sites, update sites.json (used by index.config.php to get array of installed sites)

For multi sites, the only difference in relation to the core multi-sites index.config.php is that this file is slightly different from the one that ships with ProcessWire.
      Download from GitHub: Sites Manager (Beta Release)
      Features
      Install unlimited number of sites in one (multi-sites) or independent (single-site) ProcessWire installs. Install by completing a Form, Typing or pasting in configurations or using pre-created install configurations. Choose an Admin Theme to auto-install along with the site installation. For single-sites installation, download, save and reuse ProcessWire versions of your choice. Install and maintain site profiles for reuse to create other sites. Create install configurations to speed up installation tasks. Client and server-side validation of site creation values. Edit uploaded profiles (e.g., replace profile file). Lock installed sites, configurations and profiles to prevent editing. Bulk delete items such as site profiles, installed site directories and/or databases (confirmation required for latter two). View important site details (admin login, chmod, etc). Links to installed sites home and admin pages. Timezones auto-complete/-suggest. Pre-requisites, Installation & Usage
      Please see the documentation.
      Technicalities/Issues
      Only Superusers can use the module.
      ProcessWire 2.7 - 3.x compatible
      Currently using ProcessWire 2.7 installer (install.php)
      For multi-sites, potential race condition when sites.json is being updated on a new site install vs. index.config.php accessing the json file?
      Not tested with sub-directory installs (for instance localhost/pw/my-site-here/)
      Currently not doing the extra/experimental database stuff (database charset and engine)
      Future Possibilities
      Install specified modules along with the ProcessWire install
      Profile previews?
      Credits
      @ryan: for the ProcessWire installer
      @abdus: for the index.config.php reading from JSON idea
      @swampmusic: for the challenge
      Video Demo
      Demo  showing how quick module works on a remote server [YMMV!]. Video shows downloading and processing two versions of ProcessWire (~takes 7 seconds) and installing a single/stand-alone ProcessWire 3 site using the new Admin Theme UI Kit (~2 seconds) on a remote server.

Screens

• By Robin S
      Breadcrumb Dropdowns
      Adds dropdown menus of page edit links to the breadcrumbs in Page Edit.

Installation
      Install the Breadcrumb Dropdowns module. The module requires ProcessWire >= v3.0.83 and AdminThemeUikit.
      There is a checkbox option in the module config that determines if the breadcrumb dropdowns will include pages that the user does not have permission to edit.
      Features/details
      The module adds an additional breadcrumb item at the end for the currently edited page. That's because I think it's more intuitive for the dropdown under each breadcrumb item to show the item's sibling pages rather than the item's child pages. In the dropdown menus the current page and the current page's parents are highlighted in a crimson colour to make it easier to quickly locate them in case you want to edit the next or previous sibling page. Unpublished and hidden pages are indicated in the dropdowns with similar styling to that used in Page List. If the option to include uneditable pages is selected then those pages are indicated by italics with a reduced text opacity and the "not-allowed" cursor is shown on hover. There is a limit of 25 pages per dropdown for performance reasons and to avoid the dropdown becoming unwieldy. If the current user is allowed to add new pages under the parent page an "Add New" link is shown at the bottom of the breadcrumb dropdown. If the currently edited page has children or the user may add children, a caret at the end of the breadcrumbs reveals a dropdown of up to the first 25 children and/or an "Add New" link. Overriding the listed siblings for a page
      If you want to override the siblings that are listed in the dropdowns you can hook the BreadcrumbDropdowns::getSiblingsmethod and change the returned PageArray. For most use cases this won't be necessary.
      Incompatibilities
      This module replaces the AdminThemeUikit::renderBreadcrumbs method so will potentially be incompatible with other modules that hook the same method.

https://modules.processwire.com/modules/breadcrumb-dropdowns/
      https://github.com/Toutouwai/BreadcrumbDropdowns
    • By Ken Muldrew
      I'm trying to get a short routine to run once per day that will look at some pages and send a reminder email when that customer's subscription (yearly) is about to expire. When I run the code in a template then it works without issue, but inside my lazycron service routine, I get an "Error: Uncaught Error: Call to a member function get() on null" as if the database cannot be found. My autoload module is just the sample HelloWorld module included with ProcessWire, editted to perform this task. The whole of it is included below (I've stripped out the code that generates the email because it never gets past $pages->find):

<?php namespace ProcessWire;
      /**
       * ProcessWire 'LazyCronLoad'  module
       */
      class LazyCronLoad extends WireData implements Module {
          public static function getModuleInfo() {
              return array(
                  'title' => 'LazyCronLoad', 
                  'version' => 1, 
                  'summary' => 'Just loads a lazy cron callback.',
                  'singular' => true, 
                  'autoload' => true, 
                  );
          }
          public function init() {
              // initialize the hook in the AutoLoad module
              $this->addHook('LazyCron::everyDay', $this, 'myHook');

}
          public function myHook(HookEvent $e) {
              // called once per day
              wire('log')->save('user_activities',' lazy cron service routine');
                  $transport_pages = $pages->find("template=aggregate-entry, aggregate_type.title='Transport'");
                  foreach ($transport_pages as $page) {
                      if (($page->purchase_date + 30325800 < time()) && ($page->purchase_date + 30412600 > time())) { // between 351 and 352 days
                          wire('log')->save('user_activities', $page->id . ' email reminder sent');
                          // send email
                  }
              }
          }        

}
      The first wire('log') shows up but the second one doesn't (the purchase_date condition is met (as demonstrated by running the code in a template close in time to when the lazycron routine executes)). The error log gives the Uncaught Error shown above. 
      I think this is a beginner's mistake with something obvious being missed and would be grateful for any assistance in fixing it.