Tracy Debugger

adrian

Remember that if you are a superuser and you have "force su into dev mode" checked, then switching modes won't affect the mode you actually see. How is the performance when you are logged out?

Tracy adds content to the DOM, so it should slow things down if anything. 

Is Tracy logging any errors (even Notices / Warnings)? Do you have any ajax calls - just wondering if Tracy is catching an error early that would otherwise slow things down for some reason?

Are you talking about  the backend or the frontend of the site being slow? Are they both slow with Tracy disabled?

Does Tracy still speed things up with all panels disabled? If not, which particular panel is increasing the speed?

"force su into dev mode" is not checked and there are no errors or warnings

I didn't checked all panels, but It's enough to add one of them: ProcessWire Info or Request Info or Console or Panel Selector.

It's not speeding up with i.e. Tracy Logs or ProcessWire Logs

Backend works normal exept the pagetree. pagetree takes longer than usual.

1 minute ago, Kholja said:

Another interessting thing is that the frontend seems to slow down only when logged in as superuser. For guests the Site seems to work normal.

Is this speed affected by Tracy at all? Keep in mind that PW's core debug mode kicks in (if it's enabled) when logged in as superuser so there will be some impact from that.

33 minutes ago, Kholja said:

I didn't checked all panels, but It's enough to add one of them: ProcessWire Info or Request Info or Console or Panel Selector.

It's not speeding up with i.e. Tracy Logs or ProcessWire Logs

I honestly have no idea at this point - I can't see why/how those panels could improve the page tree loading speed - for me the page tree ajax call is definitely noticeably slower with Tracy running - obviously it's a trade-off that I think is worth it though.

2 minutes ago, adrian said:

Is this speed affected by Tracy at all? Keep in mind that PW's core debug mode kicks in (if it's enabled) when logged in as superuser so there will be some impact from that.

Definitely it affects the Frontend. I think a difference by factor about 20 (300ms -> 6s server response time) is probably not caused by the core. In terms of the backend I'm not sure if I'm starting to see ghosts... the impact there is not that big.
Anyway - thanks for your precious input adrian. If i find out more I will post it here.

I exported the site with ryans ProcessExportProfile Module and did a fresh install. This solved the problem. But would be nice to know what caused the issue.
Thanks Adrian for your quick  response and your support. Your posts were often helpful und a good resource for learning ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kholja said:

I exported the site with ryans ProcessExportProfile Module and did a fresh install. This solved the problem. But would be nice to know what caused the issue.

Weird - definitely keep us up to date if you find out why.

On 2/10/2020 at 8:49 AM, bernhard said:

Thx, I'm done with my testing - asking earlier would have saved me some hundred clicks ? ?

$options[Dumper::COLLAPSE] = 14;
$options[Dumper::COLLAPSE_COUNT] = 7;

This worked well. It would be nice to have an option somewhere for this, but it is definitely not high priority, so don't hurry. Thx anyhow for taking it into account! ? 

Hey @bernhard - those are now the defaults (as per the Tracy core defaults). They are also configurable in the module settings:

image.thumb.png.279d2ad1eead8e148568c28f834575c2.png

and you can also override them for a specific dump with:

d($obj, 'title', ['collapse' => 1, 'collapse_count' => 1]);

which might be handy if you are dumping lots of the same object/array in a loop and you don't want them all open which not only takes up more physical space, but also more reources.

• Like 2

Just dumping a note here for others. If anyone notices slowness with Tracy enabled, especially when quite a few modules are active, try using php-fpm. I just switched my local set up of homebrew apache + homebrew php 7.4 over to php-fpm instead of mod_php and it has really sped things up. Also been mucking around with the database for the site I am working on, didnt realise I was on MyISAM, so maybe switching to INNODB has had something to do with it as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anybody know the keyboard shortcut for the multi-cursor feature of ACE? I'm using CTRL-D in VSCode but that does delete the current line in ACE. Multicursor does work though, because I can select multiple items using CTRL+click. Thx!

30 minutes ago, bernhard said:

Does anybody know the keyboard shortcut for the multi-cursor feature of ACE?

CTRl or CMD + click where you want each extra cursor to be.

Oops, sorry, I guess you already mentioned you had this approach working ?

I'm sorry, I was not precise enough! ? See this example:

3WVbDyG.png

The cursor is on the first $out variable and all other occurrances are outlined, so I guess there is a way to select all of them (VSCode CTRL+F2) or one by one (VSCode CTRL-D). This is how it looks in VSCode:

OsUz7Wp.gif

Thank you very much adrian, not exactly, because that won't work on the last line where $out is prepended by "d(". But I found a list of shortcuts ? https://defkey.com/ace-editor-shortcuts

It's CTRL-ALT-left/right

Not sure if that is an official list, but it might be nice adding a link to the console or inside the keybord shortcuts popup?

QfT2GYL.png

• 2 weeks later...

@adrian could you please add the name of the field in the admin actions panel so that it is more obvious and secure?

J5sIDjX.png

Here I'm deleting the field "summary" but it looks more like I am deleting the field "Text". A simple "Delete field > summary < " would do. I think it's a little dangerous as it is now - it's common to have many tabs open at the same time, so there's a high risk of clicking that button in the wrong tab accidentally.

Thank you ? 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick note that the latest release fixes the "NEW SINCE" feature in the API Explorer panel. It had always mostly seemed to work, but I was often seeing results from old upgrades but wasn't sure why. I think it's now fixed, but I'd appreciate if you guys could check at your end when you next upgrade the PW core and see if it appears correct for you as well. Thanks.

• Like 3

• adrian pinned and locked this topic
  • adrian unpinned and pinned this topic