Tracy Debugger

adrian

Hi @Ivan Gretsky - the core Tracy package comes with the ability to drag the bar but I disabled it long ago because it was causing too many problems and I didn't really see many advantages. Perhaps you can solve the issue you are having with the "Starting z-index for panels" option in the module settings. If that doesn't work for you, let me know and we'll figure something else out.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, adrian said:

let me know and we'll figure something else out.

Hi Adrian,
I would be happy to hear that you give another chance of the possibility to move the bar to the bottom left corner, optionally. Dragging it around is kinda pointless, at least in my point of view, but as I already explained it in the past, the bottom right corner can sometimes be problematic when Tracy interferes with something, and covering an interactive part of the site is not really a solution. However, it is very rare that both bottom corners contain interactive elements, so being able to pick which corner to cover would suffice most situations, I think.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, adrian said:

Hi @Ivan Gretsky - the core Tracy package comes with the ability to drag the bar but I disabled it long ago because it was causing too many problems and I didn't really see many advantages. Perhaps you can solve the issue you are having with the "Starting z-index for panels" option in the module settings. If that doesn't work for you, let me know and we'll figure something else out.

Z-index does not solve the problem. Chat window is added with js and is always on top.

Another new version which takes care of an issue that has been lingering from the very first version ?

The option to send error messages to your email address when in Production mode now supports wireMail() so it will use whatever wireMail module you are using.

There is also a new module setting for defining the "from email" address, as well as the old "to email" option.

Remember that messages are only sent if the output mode in settings is set to Production and also note that you will only get one email - all subsequent errors will be logged in the Tracy logs files but won't be emailed until you clear the "sent email" flag.

It's sure nice to have this working as a way to track errors that occur on a production site during regular use.

Let me know if you find any problems.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, adrian said:

The option to send error messages to your email address when in Production mode now supports wireMail() so it will use whatever wireMail module you are using.

Now I know why those emails often ended up in the spam folder... Thanks for the improvement!

• Like 1

Just now, szabesz said:

Now I know why those emails often ended up in the spam folder... Thanks for the improvement!

Yeah, sorry about that - the Tracy core just uses PHP's mail() and I wasn't sure how to hook into the send process so I could implement wireMail - of course it turned out to be easy, but it wasn't documented so had to dig a little.

• Like 3

I found a CSS bug with Firefox:

The directory list panel in the file editor is not usable, i.e. you can't focus / click on any file or directory links. The three buttons at the bottom also don't work (test, save, restore backup). I can use the scrollbar, but only with dragging (mouse-scrollwheel doesn't work). The code-block works.

If I remove position: absolute from .tracy-filterbox-wrap everything works fine, but it breaks in Chrome.

I finally found that removing height: auto !important; from #tracyFileEditorFilterBoxWrap makes it work in both browsers.

(You already set a fixed height for .tracy-filterbox-wrap, but of course an ID CSS selector + !important are much stronger than a class)

• Like 1

Thanks @dragan for finding the problem and providing the fix - much appreciated. I have committed a new version with the fix.

PS - sorry about all the !important throughout that - it's quite a mess - it's difficult to override site frontend CSS as well as core Tracy CSS.

Thanks!

I feel bad for asking about another issue though... Since approx. 1-2 weeks I see frequent warnings like these popping up:

1996707894_Screenshot_2020-02-01PagesProcessWirefantastiquech.png.28d720ef7b33127159324586a6f2d86c.png

Frequently = several times during a backend session.

When I check the "clear email sent" checkbox and hit save, I get this error message:

1929031178_Screenshot_2020-02-01ModuleTracyDebuggerfantastiquech.png.83a14b85b36eb1d80f8de03cd245a12f.png

The checkbox stays un-checked after save.

Latest PW dev + last 2 or 3 TD versions.

Don't feel bad ?

The warning should show up when an error has been logged in production mode and the "email-sent" file exists under /assetes/logs/tracy/

There are two ways to clear it - via the link in the warning, or by checking that "clear email sent" checkbox in the module settings. If you do the first one, and then try the other, there will be nothing to delete.

Do you have the email fields filled out for getting emails about logged errors? Maybe I shouldn't show the warning if these aren't filled out because it isn't really relevant if you're not getting emails I suppose.

@adrian Both email fields are set.

50 minutes ago, adrian said:

Maybe I shouldn't show the warning if these aren't filled out because it isn't really relevant if you're not getting emails I suppose.

That's what I would suggest too. It's just a bit irritating, that's all.

20 minutes ago, adrian said:

new version won't enable email notification

Thanks!

Sorry if this has been covered before - regarding the email sent flag - does it only block it for that same error, or would one receive new errors, even if the flag is not cleared? I don't see myself being able to clear flags that often - especially the errors I get everyday from ProCache on most sites.

@Macrura - it will only email one error of any type until the flag is cleared. This is Tracy core functionality, not something I added.

I guess if you want an email every time there is an error, I could have the flag cleared on every page load so the behavior is overridden. 

The other possibility is hooking up error logging to send errors to Slack or similar, instead of email - probably a friendlier approach if you are getting lots per day.

My question though, is why is ProCache giving so many errors?

Hi @adrian - thanks; I think i do get the recurring errors, but wasn't sure if the recent changes/version would change something; as i only saw the new flag clearing alerts on some recently updated sites, but i didn't read the changelog or anything yet. I don't want to cause you any extra work.

Been getting the same 2 errors from ProCache for years... i just delete them - those would be great if they could just be filtered out of error reporting!

PHP Warning: rename(/home/user/website.com/site/assets/ProCache-b1aa65c9cad10a45a4f5b53b7448/http404/index-website_com.html.tmp,/home/user/website.com/site/assets/ProCache-b1aa65c9cad10a45a4f5b53b7448/http404/index-website_com.html): No such file or directory in /home/user/website.com/site/assets/cache/FileCompiler/site/modules/ProCache/ProCache.module:1006

PHP Warning: unlink(/home/user/public_html/site/assets/ProCache-b1aa65c9cad10a45a4f5b53b7448/.last-maintenance): No such file or directory in /home/user/public_html/site/assets/cache/FileCompiler/site/modules/ProCache/ProCache.module:490

14 hours ago, Macrura said:

I think i do get the recurring errors, but wasn't sure if the recent changes/version would change something

Ah - I just took a better look at the Tracy core and even though I don't see it documented anywhere, there is a $snooze time which means that after this time has expired, you'll get another email notification. The default is 2 days. Would it help you if this was configurable in the module settings?

Regarding filtering of certain errors - would you want those kept out of the Tracy error logs completely, or just not receive an email about them, but still log them? Not sure if I can easily do this. You could of course change the log severity settings so that no warnings logged, but that's probably not what you want.

5 hours ago, adrian said:

Ah - I just took a better look at the Tracy core and even though I don't see it documented anywhere, there is a $snooze time which means that after this time has expired, you'll get another email notification. The default is 2 days. Would it help you if this was configurable in the module settings?

cool, that's great to know! I don't need it configurable a this time, but maybe others can weigh in on opinions of having it configurable.

5 hours ago, adrian said:

Regarding filtering of certain errors - would you want those kept out of the Tracy error logs completely, or just not receive an email about them, but still log them? Not sure if I can easily do this. You could of course change the log severity settings so that no warnings logged, but that's probably not what you want.

I can see a situation, ProCache for example, where there are recurring errors, but don't warrant any action; Not sure if it is possible to exclude notifications by some filter, but i think it would be nice to have at some point if it didn't present a huge amount of work; I have several sites that end up with say warnings or errors that are not adversely effecting anything, but at the same time i know they won't be able to be addressed for a while - it would be cool to be able to snooze those alerts by some interval, like x days/months..

thanks!

Hey @adrian just using the tracy console a lot gain for testing/developing a module. It's absolutely brilliant! Thx again!

Do you have an idea of a quick solution for having dumped objects always unfolded? This is what I'm doing:

uOM2RnA.png

I always have to unfold the object dump to see the results. For that I have to use the mouse - which is slow and tedious. If there where a checkbox "automatically unfold all dumps" it would speed up my process even more.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts about this, thx. Maybe there is already an option somehwere?

• Like 1

Hey @bernhard - these are the two settings that control this: https://github.com/adrianbj/TracyDebugger/blob/11582e03c22db697972a08dac0e01630b0dbcb79/includes/TD.php#L156-L157

I have hardcoded them to "1" so dumps are always collapsed, but I can certainly open them up for being modified. The normal way to do these sorts of tweaks with the Tracy core is to include those as part of the options array when calling the dump, but it's usually just too much typing and not worth the hassle, so need to come up with an easier way. No time to look into this today I'm afraid, but will do sometime soon. In the meantime, you can obviously change those for your current needs.

• Like 1

Thx, I'm done with my testing - asking earlier would have saved me some hundred clicks ? ?

$options[Dumper::COLLAPSE] = 14;
$options[Dumper::COLLAPSE_COUNT] = 7;

This worked well. It would be nice to have an option somewhere for this, but it is definitely not high priority, so don't hurry. Thx anyhow for taking it into account! ? 

I  know this sounds crazy at first. I have a site which shows a very strange behaviour on the live server. The Site behaves normal as long as Tracy Debugger is ON. Response time is round about 200-300ms. As soon as I disable Tracy the response time grows to several seconds (6-7s !). Once the server answers, the rest of the assets deliver fast.
Ideas where to begin a research welcome ?

When you say "off", do you mean production mode, disabled "by unchecking the "Enable Tracy Debugger" checkbox, or is Tracy uninstalled?

If in production mode, do you have emailing of logged errors enabled? I am wondering if you have a slow connection to your email service (SMTP or API).

2 minutes ago, adrian said:

When you say "off", do you mean production mode, disabled "by unchecking the "Enable Tracy Debugger" checkbox, or is Tracy uninstalled?

If in production mode, do you have emailing of logged errors enabled? I am wondering if you have a slow connection to your email service (SMTP or API).

I tested both: Off can be "Enable Tracy Debugger" unchecked or uninstalling Tracy. Both leads to bad performance. If Tracy is enabled "Output Mode" can be "Production" or "Development". Both cases leads to normal operation. So maybe the question is what does Tracy change in the rendering process, when it is active.

• adrian pinned and locked this topic
  • adrian unpinned and pinned this topic