Tracy Debugger

adrian

Hey Adrian,

--- SOLVED ---

I have this code that returns an unexpected result. I don't know if that's related to tracy, so I apologize if it is not...

I'm developing a module. $rc->step is a shopping cart step object and it is possible to attach forms to it. $step->forms is a WireArray. I add the form "test" to this WireArray but when I dump it, it shows just the name of the Form, whereas when I dump the single item via $step->forms->first() I get what I expect (an InputfieldForm object).

9weZNcW.png

On the "Full Object" tab the output is also as I'd expect it to be:

ejST8VO.png

I guess that's totally normal but I'd like to understand what's going on and why the form shows up as string in the Debug Info Tab, thx!

Edit: Ok sorry for this post, but it might also be interesting for somebody else. The debuginfo returns the id or classname of any WireData objects: https://github.com/processwire/processwire/blob/master/wire/core/WireArray.php#L2442-L2446

• Like 2

Hey @bernhard - glad you figured it out.

The one thing I would like to know more about is that errant padding at the bottom of the tab labels/links. Could you please figure out what css rule on your site is adding that padding so I can adjust Tracy's CSS so there is no conflict?

Thanks.

@kongondo and everyone else ?

I have just added caching for both the Tracy and PW logs panels so now they only read a log file if it has changed since it was last cached. This should make a dramatic difference to most page loads.

Do note that if you have a large log file and a new entry is added, then the load time will still be slow for that first page load when the entry is logged, so you still may want to delete log files (or use the PW log prune function) if you notice a slow load.

Hope that helps everyone.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, jmartsch said:

And I think I know why it takes so long. Look at this. 1,48 GB WTF?

Yeah, that'll do it ?

I am curious though - with the caching now in effect, doesn't it load quickly now? If not, then I expect there is an error that is being logged on every page load (meaning that the cache needs to be updated on each page load).

What errors are being logged?

Thanks to ideas and feedback from @tpr, the File Editor panel now has a recently opened files selector which shows the last 10 files you opened - much quicker if you need to navigate back and forwards between several different files.

image.png.6cf84acf68baf77f3bbf3a4cc508eb50.png

There is also a new config setting which lets you exclude folders. Previously for performance it was best to limit the Base Directory setting to "Templates", rather than "Site" or "Root", but now you can select an higher level and exclude what you don't need. Most users will probably want to select "Site" and exclude "site/assets" and "site/modules" - this lets you access site/templates, as well as config.php, init.php. ready.php, & finished.php - you get the idea.

I also made some other speed improvements by excluding completely any directories with files that are not editable, so the payload for this panel is now much smaller.

Hope this helps you out when an online editor is the only option you have.

Don't forget the fullscreen toggle at the top left of the editor, or the normal "Maximize" toggle at the top right of the panel - makes life much nicer!

image.png.850ded00e50fed8b7d228ec4b13f4ae7.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This is all @tpr's hard work - he has just added a search/filter implementation using his awesome filterbox.js - be sure to check it out and Star it!

Note that in addition to filtering, if you hit "Enter" it will load the first matched file.

Thanks again Roland - this is very cool!

C88CqYappr.gif.abd0deaaa94bcb80b37b4042a468fa5b.gif

• Like 6

Hi Adrian,

Now that "live" is used as the default dump method there's an item in the shortcut methods description that should be deleted:

2019-03-18_114723.png.d4e6763a922165e38c2c6df2362b55b1.png

And maybe in the docs too? https://adrianbj.github.io/TracyDebugger/#/debug-methods?id=bardumplive
Or maybe move the explanation of live dumping to the intro of this section.

Also, I'm trying to get my head around how this live dump works. Are you able to point me to a page in the Nette docs that covers this feature? I've been looking but haven't been able to find it.

And if the dump data is loaded in realtime as the levels are expanded then how come there is truncation in the example shown below?

2019-03-18_115743.png.875dba621efa7890920b4cd4b708abf0.png

Thanks.

• Like 1

Thanks for spotting the left over LIVE reference.

Actually between 2.6 dev and the releases version of 2.6 of the Tracy core, they actually changed LIVE to LAZY. LIVE still exists as a separate option but it still has some downsides. In most cases LAZY is better. You can read more about it here: https://github.com/nette/tracy/issues/344#issuecomment-468123490

Your data is still truncated because of the default maxDepth of 3 which is tweakable in the module settings. With lazy it's possible to have a much greater depth without performance issues so maybe I will up that at some point. You can of course still use db() or bdb() or bd($var, [10]) or one of the other combinations to up the depth. You'll find that with the new LAZY approach you can actually do a bd($page, [10]) and it won't cause an out of memory error like it would with Tracy 2.5. Hope that helps. If you have any more technical questions let me know, or perhaps address them to @dg at Nette.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. From the discussion you linked to it sounds like the LIVE/LAZY features are still a work-in-progress and subject to change. So will wait a while before I delve into it.

The thing that was confusing me was that the previous barDumpLive() didn't take any $options argument for maxDepth or maxLength which made me think there is no limit for these when a live dump is used. But no problem to keep using bdb() for larger dumps.

• Like 2

Perhaps I was too hasty in removing the live option, so maybe it will make a comeback now that LAZY is the default - just need some more testing to see if it actually helps with large dumps, and whether there are issues with the integrity of the data.

So far from what I can tell, LAZY does an awesome job even with: 

bd($page, array('maxDepth' => 99));

or the shortcut:

bd($page, [99]);

• Like 2

Hi everyone.

Lots of new stuff this morning.

1) Terminal panel (available in a panel and also as a dedicated Process module - similar to how the Adminer feature is set up)

NOTE: It does not support interactive commands like vi, nano, apt, etc. DO NOT attempt to use these as they may result in you needing to restart apache.

This is a bash terminal that lets you quickly execute commands on a server. In addition to normal commands like: ls, cd, cat, mkdir, rm, chmod, chown, etc, you can also do mysql command line calls which is very handy if you need to add a new user, create a mysqldump etc.

Note that for mysql commands you need to issue them individually - you can't simply start "mysql" and issue commands from there - each call needs to include your username and password and the command to be run, eg:

mysql -u root -p mypassword -e "CREATE DATABASE newtablename";

There is also an upload and download command, eg "upload test.txt" which will spawn a file selector dialog on your machine to upload that file to your server with the given name. It also has arrow up and down for command history as well as tab autocompletion of commands and file names.

VS3HkyE49n.thumb.gif.f1c9be0f29a626eef431a3c5c5225f24.gif

2) Lots of new filterbox implementations

@tpr has again put in lots of work to implement filterbox on the APIExplorer, Captain Hook, and PHPInfo panels - these will be super helpful to search through these complex panels.

I have also added a ALT+F shortcut to get your cursor into the Find input for all these panels.

KwpdpHeWLI.thumb.gif.472bea94a8b5ecc97fe53222f801f95b.gif

Let us know how these new features work out for you.

Cheers!

• Like 11

19 minutes ago, matjazp said:

Nice! Is terminal supported on windows? Don't have time to play right now, I just tried dir ?

I had @tpr take a quick look and it sounded like it worked, but I don't think he tested thoroughly. Maybe @bernhard would be willing to have a look as well.

I know it works well on Mac and Linux.

o6HTusV.png

It seems to be working, but in panel mode it's not really usable... The problem also occurs on the ProcessModule's page when I have more content than available screen space. I tried it on linux and it seems to have similar effects (eg when hitting TAB to list available directories on cd foo/bar/...

But I'm not keen on this new feature. When I need a terminal, then well... I open one. Most of the time from within my IDE via ssh. I don't see a benefit of using it via tracy - but maybe that's because I don't really like working in the terminal in general ? 

And I'm a little worried about security aspects... even if I don't have any idea how all that new console feature works. Just saying that if I don't need this feature I'm not really happy to have it there. I uninstalled the process module, but still... the code is somewhere on the server. Maybe you can tell us a bit to make me feel more comfortable ? 

• Like 1

Thanks for testing @bernhard - I'll see if I can duplicate the issues you are seeing with layout - it seems fine here, but I'll test some more and see if I can try on a Windows machine.

I agree that I would mostly choose a real terminal over this, but if I don't know the credentials for the server (or I am away from my computer), this is a pretty good backup, which is the way I view this feature.

Regarding security - I thought through this already and here's my reasons why it's not an issue:

1) The file is not available outside the process module - PW's htaccess restrictions ensure that.

2) The process module requires superuser permission.

3) It's no more dangerous than the Console panel or Hanna code - both let you run shell_exec commands on the server anyway. This just provides a nicer interface and returns the output for you.

That said, if anyone can think of a security concern that I have overlooked, please let me know.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bernhard said:

The problem also occurs on the ProcessModule's page when I have more content than available screen space. I tried it on linux and it seems to have similar effects (eg when hitting TAB to list available directories on cd foo/bar/...

Can you explain this a little more please. I just tested on a Windows machine (although pointed to a linux server), but I can't see any issues. Could you maybe put together a screencast for me demonstrating the issue? Thanks!

• Like 1

• adrian pinned and locked this topic
  • adrian unpinned and pinned this topic