Tracy Debugger

adrian

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of small updates to the Adminer panel / process module.

1) It is now restricted to the database for the PW install. Previously you could access all databases available with to the PW DB user. If some of you out there don't like this change, let me know and I can make it optional, but I think it's a better default (cleaner and a little safer).

2) It's now possible to uninstall the Adminer process module and it won't be automatically re-installed each time you upgrade Tracy - @Rudy was concerned about this with his setups. Obviously if a user has superuser access they can still install if they want, so it's more a case of removing something tempting for users without sufficient skills, rather than being a true change to security. On this note - Adminer is restricted to superusers (same with the Console, Snippet Runner and File Editor panels).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So imagine my shock today when i tried to d($var) and nothing happened (well, apart from a few crumbs of debug on the page)! Not again!, I groaned. I scanned Tracy's settings and nothing jumped at me. Everything seemed OK. I even tried debugInfo=>false/true, but no joy. A quick look at the docs and eureka! 

@options: DETECT | DEVELOPMENT | PRODUCTION

@default: DETECT

A docker container's IP address would be treated differently! It was being read as site is in 'PRODUCTION'!. A quick change to that setting and normal Tracy was back! You gave me a fright Tracy! I've never seen this side of you. We've only ever met 'locally' ?.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

@kongondo - glad you sorted it out ? and good to know that docker appears to be a production server to Tracy.

Just out of curiosity - do you usually use d($var) in template files? I always use bd($var). The only place d($var) makes sense to me is in the Console panel. Maybe you have a different use case or preference, or something else, but thought I'd mention it just in case.

5 minutes ago, adrian said:

Just out of curiosity - do you usually use d($var) in template files? I always use bd($var). The only place d($var) makes sense to me is in the Console panel. Maybe you have a different use case or preference, or something else, but thought I'd mention it just in case.

I normally use bd($var) and only knew about the difference with d($var) when you pointed it out to me recently :-).

• Like 1

A couple of new features worth mentioning:

1) The RequestInfo panel's Field List & Values section now has a new "Adminer" column with a link to open the row for chosen field for the current page directly in Adminer.

2) I have finally committed the autocompletions for PW methods, properties and $page fields for the Console and File Editor panels. Hopefully you'll find this a nice shortcut, but more importantly a learning experience by finding new methods you didn't know about (or forgot). 

TSaG4LXarg.thumb.gif.5f0b169ddcf5392764634bfeebfd504a.gif

• Like 4

Hi all,

on the Module Information page of Process Tracy Adminer, when I click the link "check for updates" I get this  message:

Error reported by web service: Unable to find that module

What's going wrong?  Thank you for hints.

(PW 3.0.105, Tracy Debugger 4.14.11, PHP 7.0)

2 hours ago, ottogal said:

Hi all,

on the Module Information page of Process Tracy Adminer, when I click the link "check for updates" I get this  message:

What's going wrong?  Thank you for hints.

(PW 3.0.105, Tracy Debugger 4.14.11, PHP 7.0)

That's because ProcessTracyAdminer is included as Part of TracyDebugger. This is a normal response for any included "helper" module in ProcessWire. Personally I don't like this behavior, but it is as expected. ProcessTracyAdminer will be automatically updated when you update TracyDebugger.

I just added several new links to Adminer from the Request Info panel.

image.png.1b030d04bc5e0cb2d4f4e8a3e4f2c7fc.png

That Adminer icon links directly to this:

image.png.1be8aff15425baf033bdb8cedff8b265.png

These links have been added to the following Request Info sections:

Page Info
Module Settings
Template Settings
Template Info
Field Settings

Obviously be very careful editing content directly in the database like this - it's certainly possible to do critical damage!

Hi Adrian, just wanted to let you know that I just upgraded to latest TracyDebugger and received the following error on the API Explorer Panel:

Error: Call to a member function convertNamesToUrls() on null in /Users/glenn/websites/pwmlec/wwwroot/site/assets/cache/FileCompiler/site/modules/TracyDebugger/panels/ApiExplorerPanel.php:205
Stack trace:
#0 /Users/glenn/websites/pwmlec/wwwroot/site/assets/cache/FileCompiler/site/modules/TracyDebugger/panels/ApiExplorerPanel.php(108): ApiExplorerPanel->buildTable('adminTheme', Array)
#1 /Users/glenn/websites/pwmlec/wwwroot/site/assets/cache/FileCompiler/site/modules/TracyDebugger/tracy-master/src/Tracy/Bar.php(161): ApiExplorerPanel->getPanel()
#2 /Users/glenn/websites/pwmlec/wwwroot/site/assets/cache/FileCompiler/site/modules/TracyDebugger/tracy-master/src/Tracy/Bar.php(110): Tracy\Bar->renderPanels()
#3 /Users/glenn/websites/pwmlec/wwwroot/site/assets/cache/FileCompiler/site/modules/TracyDebugger/tracy-master/src/Tracy/Debugger.php(294): Tracy\Bar->render()
#4 [internal function]: Tracy\Debugger::shutdownHandler()
#5 {main}

Thanks for the all the improvements!  They look really helpful.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, gmclelland said:

Hi Adrian, just wanted to let you know that I just upgraded to latest TracyDebugger and received the following error on the API Explorer Panel:

Thanks for letting me know - it happened when the load order of panels was different to what I had set up. It should be fixed in the latest version.

New links from the Debug Mode panel's "Cache" section to edit it in Adminer:

image.png.355758f1bf657b8c06a0ed2fc2eb9c2d.png

Adminer DB icon links to where you can easily review the cache content, edit, change the expires datetime, or delete it.

image.png.5e7de2334a5c492ac097a4ffb0cf3b38.png

Also note that Adminer now has @bernhard's request for a PW icon link back to the site's PW admin backend.

Let me know if you guys have any suggestions for other direct links to Adminer - I am finding these very handy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi @adrian I just created a PR with two new panels.

1) A hello world panel to make it easier for others to create panels and contribute to your great module:

GgSaxD7.png

2) A WebHook panel that should make it easier to debug and develop webhook based functionality (like GIT webhooks or webhooks from foxycart or any other 3rd party service):

Settings are simple:
1kKKJyc.png

The panel shows the latest requests to templates you selected (in this screenshot the basic-page template was also enabled):
0s7ALdf.png

You can also retrieve the data of logged requests, so it is easier to develop scripts without having to fire webhooks over and over again:

4Y2qJc1.png

Open to feedback, as always ? https://github.com/adrianbj/TracyDebugger/pull/30

• Like 3

Hey @bernhard - this looks really fantastic - thank you!

I have a few comments re code styling to match the rest of Tracy, but I can clean that up after accepting the PR.

What I am wondering is if it might be useful to add a $page->getWebHookData() method so that you don't need to know the ID of the hook. Obviously the data that is stored would need to include a pageid (I see you already store that) so this new method could grab an array of objects just for this page. I think it would also be great to be able to do: $page->getWebHookData()->last() to get the last one. Not sure how useful first() and eq() would be in this case. Maybe eq() could be in reverse order so you could get eq(0) as the last received, eq(1) as second last, etc - what do you think?

I'll take a better look tomorrow and do some testing, but really excited to start using this!

• Like 1

Glad you like it ? 

10 hours ago, adrian said:

What I am wondering is if it might be useful to add a $page->getWebHookData() method so that you don't need to know the ID of the hook. Obviously the data that is stored would need to include a pageid (I see you already store that) so this new method could grab an array of objects just for this page.

Good idea!

I was also thinking of an AJAX version that grabs the latest requests every x seconds and updates the dumps. But that was too much effort for me for too little benefit. You might be faster as you know tracy a lot better than me.

10 hours ago, adrian said:

I have a few comments re code styling to match the rest of Tracy, but I can clean that up after accepting the PR.

Yeah, I prefer array syntax. You can adjust as needed.

On 11/14/2018 at 7:03 PM, adrian said:

2) It's now possible to uninstall the Adminer process module and it won't be automatically re-installed each time you upgrade Tracy

Thanks for this, I think I will keep it uninstalled, partly because I do not like it's menu item to appear in the main menu. However, on he Tracy settings page:

Adminer settings are available here. results in a system message "Unknown module", so you might wan to change it to something like Adminer settings are only available when the Process Tracy Adminer module is installed.

Edited by szabesz
typos
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, szabesz said:

Thanks for this, I think I will keep it uninstalled, partly because I do not like it's menu item to appear in the main menu. However, on he Tracy settings page:

Adminer settings are available here. results in a system message "Unknown module", so you might wan to change it to something like Adminer settings are only available when the Process Tracy Adminer module is installed.

Sorry about the issue with the unknown module error. I'll fix that in the next commit.

Keep in mind that if you don't want it to appear under the Setup menu, you just need to make Admin > Setup > Adminer hidden. That way you could still use the Adminer panel from the Tracy debug bar. Does that help? Also, I know it's obvious, but only superusers will see the Setup > Adminer option.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, adrian said:

Keep in mind that if you don't want it to appear under the Setup menu, you just need to make Admin > Setup > Adminer hidden. That way you could still use the Adminer panel from the Tracy debug bar. Does that help?

Thanks for the tip! Yeah, I guess this will do the trick ?

• Like 1

Well it took several hours of discussions with @bernhard and lots of back and forwards on the best way to do things, but we've finally committed the "WebHooks" panel he posted about above.

It's now called the Request Logger panel because in reality it is logging requests to a page on your site - who knows whether it's really a "webhook" request or something else.

Instructions

1) In the PW admin, edit the page you want to log incoming requests for.

2) Open the Request Logger panel.

3) Click the "Enable logging on this page" button.

image.png.f55ec8bcbcd7e2c305a8fb0129d874e3.png

4) Send a request to that page. This may be something like a confirmation of payment webhook call from Paypal etc. 

5) Reload the edit page in the PW admin to see the logged request. The reason we say to edit the page, rather than visit it on the frontend is because visiting the page would result in a logged request.

image.png.b52ea8d49ca25d2dac8f8a7cbbddfe96.png

Note that you can easily test incoming requests using the Postman app (https://www.getpostman.com/). You can choose POST or GET and under "Body" you'll want to specify Raw / JSON

image.png.9982322e32f5144bfae0b0466b2033ab.png

You'll notice the json supplied in the Postman Body is what shows up in the Request Logger panel under "input" and "inputParsed".

This is all well and good, but here's where the magic really comes in ? There is a new getRequestData() method added to $page so you can get the logged data in your code. You can get logged requests by:

• ID (shown in the title of the logged entry in the Request Logger panel)
  • ALL requests (an array of all logged requests for the page)
  • The last logged request by passing "true"
  • The current live request

This allows you to have access to the data sent by the webhook without constantly having to trigger it each time - ie no need to continually make test payments over and over as you refine and debug the your scripts that consume/parse this data! You can even make use of $page->getRequestData() in your final live code if you want - this does not rely on Tracy being enabled - it just has to be installed. So you could potentially execute one request and then use the "true" option while testing, and then when you're ready to go live, you can remove the "true" so it returns the live request.

There is a config setting to determine whether this method returns an array or an object.

image.png.8a45974c7747bb15a4cfc7d87c04de7e.png

Please take it for a test drive and let us know what you think!

@bernhard - did I miss anything worth mentioning?

• Like 4

• adrian pinned and locked this topic
  • adrian unpinned and pinned this topic