Tracy Debugger

adrian

I played around with the parameters I found inside the theme-tomorrow_night.js file. I managed to change the background color, string color and operator color.

.ace-tomorrow-night {background-color: #DCDCDC;color: #C5C8C6}
.ace_keyword.ace_operator {color: #000000}
.ace-tomorrow-night .ace_string {color: #66CD00}

This is definitely a bloat free solution.

I am already happy so far. I guess I will find the rest also.

I am happy including all the themes - only the selected one is loaded, and they only add 135kb to the Tracy module package so it's really not an issue.

Here's what will be coming soon. You can see I have selected your desired iplastic theme in the config settings and the Console panel is styled accordingly. This will also control the File Editor panel's theme as well.

image.png.58fa29dd49be6234ab8af18ebd744450.png

A couple more settings to help out those of us with "tired" eyes ?

image.thumb.png.2c29bf8dadb1c1e2c4870c5e169f636b.png

These will be pushed in the next few days.

I am still messing around with the code completion stuff. Unfortunately I don't think showing the doc comments like I posted above is going to be a good idea - it's a 2MB payload and even though I am not really seeing a slowdown here on local dev, it still feels wrong and will probably impact performance on a live server. I do like the idea though of an API learning interface like this, so maybe it's something for a dedicated panel where speed doesn't matter. Any thoughts?

• Like 1

Hi,

including all the themes they only add 135 kb - - - doc comments it's a 2 Mb payload - - - showing the doc comments - - - api learning interface

I wouldn't include all the themes, I think 135 kB is already too much to add to the TracyDebugger. Like I said it was only a case of changing a few color combinations to take away the harsh look of it for someone's set of eyes. Tweaking the theme-tomorrow_night.js was all I needed and I am happy with it. (maybe a hint where I can change the font-size ?)

I agree, I would leave out showing comments about code documentation. A 2 Mb payload is way too much and besides I don`t see it will add effectively to the coding learn process. I guess it will only be consulted for some details. I reckon that effective resources for a coding learn process will always be snippets, the forum, http://processwire.com/docs/----- and http://php.net/manual/en/------

Remember that some time ago there was a discussion in the forum what strategy is being used for keeping an online website in sync with your local laptop copy ? All kinds of strategies were discussed and one of them is editing the online website parallel with the local copy on your laptop. So when something is edited in the local copy, all that is needed is to copy and paste your edits into the editor of TracyDebugger. I think that is still one of the fastest ways of keeping a website in sync.

• Like 1

Is it just me or has Tracy (current version) become very sloooow recently with the "Force superusers into DEVELOPMENT mode" setting activated? Benchmark - loading of the "modules" page:

• Tracy enabled: Loed 6.9 s
  • Tracy disabled: Load 1.2 s

Measured with Google Chrome Dev Tools.

I don't remember noticing that before... ?

3 hours ago, bernhard said:

So what are your load times regarding the "force su into dev" setting?

I've written that already - with "Force superusers into DEVELOPMENT mode" activated, it takes nearly 6x times longer to load the modules page than without Tracy. 

3 hours ago, titanium said:

Is it just me or has Tracy (current version) become very sloooow recently with the "Force superusers into DEVELOPMENT mode" setting activated? Benchmark - loading of the "modules" page:

• Tracy enabled: Loed 6.9 s
  • Tracy disabled: Load 1.2 s

Measured with Google Chrome Dev Tools.

I don't remember noticing that before... ?

I am not seeing any issues here visiting the modules page (or any other), but I am curious what Tracy panels you have enabled. Perhaps it is one in particular that is causing the slowdown. Also, is it just the modules page that is slow? 

21 hours ago, bernhard said:

You wrote Tracy enabled/disabled, that's why I asked.

Oh, I see, I wasn't precise enough. Sorry, I didn't think of that. I meant "Tracy with Force superusers into DEVELOPMENT mode activated instead of just "Tracy enabled".

21 hours ago, adrian said:

I am not seeing any issues here visiting the modules page (or any other), but I am curious what Tracy panels you have enabled. Perhaps it is one in particular that is causing the slowdown. Also, is it just the modules page that is slow? 

It's Tracy right out of the box (fresh install) with just "Force superusers into DEVELOPMENT mode" setting activated. The slowdown is more or less noticeable on all admin pages, "modules" was just a concrete example. But I do have to say I have some custom modules included in this project, so I will report back after I have done a vanilla install elsewhere and tested again. Thank you.

• Like 1

Hi all - I've just committed a pretty major update to the Console and File Editor panels.

1) Adds all ACE editor themes with a config setting to choose the theme

2) Options to set the font size and line height

image.thumb.png.aa77e828a0857a90ab31868539e7b8cd.png

3) I have refactored the sizing of various divs in both these panels that should solve lots of minor layout bugs especially when resizing the panels. *Be sure to do a hard reload to get the latest CSS/JS files.

4) Updated the core SplitJS library which now adds support for dragging by fixed increments which lock to the code line height - before I was hacking this on and it wasn't anywhere near as nice.

VSqyNf00vy.gif.1bbab998f2bba17ee4069a98ac12ef9a.gif

5) Various bug fixes for the keyboard shortcuts for resizing the console panes.

Also, just a quick note to say that this version doesn't yet include the PW variables code completion. That will come in the next version. I am on a semi-vacation at the moment so haven't had any dedicated blocks of time to get that quite as I want yet.

Please let me know how this new version goes for you!

• Like 6

Here's a preview of the new API Explorer panel I hinted at earlier.

You'll notice a lot of similarities with the Captain Hook Panel with everything ordered alphabetically, and with toggling to open/close the DocComment text and direct links to open the appropriate file to the first line of the method in your code editor which I hope will be a useful learning tool because often the methods for an object are inherited from a parent class and so are not necessarily in the file you might expect. This will make finding the source of these methods really quick and easy.

The link in the first column of the table opens the API ref docs on the PW site or using Ryan's API Explorer module (if you have that installed).

Also note that conditional parameters for the methods are italicized

I'll probably commit the first version of this tomorrow, but I'd love to hear any initial feedback from these screenshots - other than comments on the awful icon ? (unless you have a suggestion for a better one).

image.png.822109d3730d46158cff71b6d0f2450e.png

image.png.69bbac723692b242ad6faad4b5c34957.png

image.thumb.png.3b6c637f473caa81ccfed8a721f6d568.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @ottogal - I'll have a play with something where the API text is bigger (as you have it), or go with something simpler. Not too important ?

Anyone have any thoughts on having the description of the doc comment in its own column for quick reference? Of course you can still expand to get the full comment text. I think this is probably quite useful - anyone think otherwise?

image.thumb.png.dcf9e49b827b8df33a05368d6371a860.png

• Like 2

@adrian Thank you for the latest additions and your continous great work on this essential module.

I can't wait for the API explorer panel. This is great and would save me a lot of time going to ProcessWires API reference page and look for what I am searching.

One thing that would be extremely useful would be a find-as-you-type-filter, to find what you are looking for quickly, similar to AdminOnSteroids filter function for AdminDataTables or modules.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, jmartsch said:

One thing that would be extremely useful would be a find-as-you-type-filter, to find what you are looking for quickly, similar to AdminOnSteroids filter function for AdminDataTables or modules.

I agree that would be nice - perhaps in a future version and maybe using @tpr's FilterBox Utility - for now, the best option is browsing and Toggle All and then CTRL+F to use your browser find in page functionality.

The first version of the API Explorer is now available and includes some config settings for determining what is shown in the tables for each object/class's method. The default is to show the "description" column and not to have the full doc comment block toggleable. This results in much smaller sizes for these panels and of course if you have your code editor links configured properly you can always click the line number to go to the method and read the doc comment that way.

image.thumb.png.6f664e3a2411ecf7d96790ee4c652175.png

Also, since the previews posted yesterday, the API Explorer now also includes Core Classes (as well as API variables) so you have access to things like wireArray and Pageimage methods.

It also now displays all properties for each object/class which is especially useful for $page

5cEabXSbY9.thumb.gif.2e8912108dbb319df4b3c20039ebfa0b.gif

Please take this for a spin and give me your feedback. I will most certainly be tweaking it myself lots over the next few days, but I'd still love your inout to guide my decisions.

• Like 3

Thanks for this, very cool! When you toggle all and then try to collapse one object/class by clicking on the down arrow, the first click doesn't collapse, had to click it again.

Nothing to do with Tracy, but I noticed that some paths in $config are different, like $config->paths:

ProcessWire\Paths #3457
_root protected => "C:/inetpub/wwwroot/" (19)
data protected => array (206)
wire => "wire/" (5)
site => "site/" (5)
modules => "wire/modules/" (13)
fieldTemplates => "site/templates/fields/" (22)
adminTemplates => "C:/inetpub/wwwroot/wire/modules/AdminTheme/AdminThemeDefault/" (61)
sessions => "C:/inetpub/wwwroot/site/assets/sessions/" (40)

and $config->urls

ProcessWire\Paths #cc50
_root protected => "/"
data protected => array (206)
wire => "wire/" (5)
site => "site/" (5)
modules => "wire/modules/" (13)
adminTemplates => "/wire/modules/AdminTheme/AdminThemeDefault/" (43)
AdminThemeDefault => "wire/modules/AdminTheme/AdminThemeDefault/" (42)

(adminTemplates has the slash at the beginning). Is this how it should be?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, matjazp said:

When you toggle all and then try to collapse one object/class by clicking on the down arrow, the first click doesn't collapse, had to click it again.

That is currently expected - same as with the Captain Hook panel. It's because of the way I am showing all because actually triggering the toggle on each element is too slow. I'll keep it in mind to improve if I can though.

Not sure about the paths/urls stuff - do you think those are things that need Ryan's attention?

I don't know if Ryan need to know that. It seems there are no (known?) side effects with this paths, maybe there could be an issue with adminTemplates if PW is running in subdirectory? Ryan is busy, don't won't to bother him. And there are other issues that need his attention...

New version just committed which revises the output for object properties - now runtime properties are more accurately collected and the description is displayed (rather than the value). I think this is more inline with what this panel is about. I think if you want values you can get them easily via the Console panel - I am actually thinking about a link from the property to open the Console panel with the $object->property wrapped in a d() call, eg:

d($page->createdUser); 

to make it even quicker/easier. Any thoughts on whether you'd use this?

Please keep the feedback coming.

Thx adrian,

I still have the bug on the AOS language switcher z-index. Any news on this?

FQxXCJD.png

On the config var the description column is very large, leading to a horizontal scrollbar. Maybe it would make sense to use text-overflow: ellipsis; here?

Is it intended that the links to the api ref opens in the same window? I know we can middle-click, but I wonder if it was better to open it in a new tab by default?

52 minutes ago, adrian said:

I am actually thinking about a link from the property to open the Console panel with the $object->property wrapped in a d() call, eg:

Sorry, I don't get what you are talking about ?

• Like 1

Thank you for building the API Explorer.  I just checked it out and looks very helpful indeed.

Clicking the line number even opens the file directly in my VSCode editor.  Nice!

2 hours ago, adrian said:

I am actually thinking about a link from the property to open the Console panel with the $object->property wrapped in a d() call, eg:

d($page->createdUser); 

to make it even quicker/easier. Any thoughts on whether you'd use this?

This sounds good to me.

• Like 1

• adrian pinned and locked this topic
  • adrian unpinned and pinned this topic