Tracy Debugger

adrian

Hey @bernhard and anyone else who might be interested. Following up on my thoughts over here: 

Here's my first test:

cN2HuqqpHQ.gif.2dd012031f190c034de37754f9aaa2f0.gif

This comes from a new file which currently contains:

var getCodeSnippets = function() {
    return [
        {
          content: 'd(\\$pages->find("template=\${1:basic-page}")->each("\${2:title}"));',
          name: 'find-pages',
          tabTrigger: 'pwfind'
        }
    ]
};

I feel like there needs to be some thought put into how these should work and what the tabTrigger text should be. As you can see this one is about directly d() 'ing, but I am not sure whether it would be more versatile without that wrapping d(). Perhaps we could have both versions?

Maybe we also want something that simply returns:

foreach($pages->find("template=basic-page") as $p) {
    d($p);
}

I am really not sure what approach to take here.

Also, do you guys want to contribute snippets to the Tracy core, or would you prefer being able to define your own in a file or in the config settings?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, pwired said:

Wouldn`t defining your own in a file or in the config settings not be more versatile ? e.g. cross editor compatible

Sorry, not sure I understand how this makes things cross editor compatible. 

Honestly I think that all these should probably be in the core. After-all we have the actual snippets panel for you to define and use your own custom ones that others may not find useful.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bernhard said:

Maybe tracy could even be built a little differently to support 3rd party modules. Just like you did recently with the admin actions module (https://processwire.com/talk/topic/14921-admin-actions/?do=findComment&comment=173496). I'm not requesting this, I'm just thinking out loud here.

Hey @bernhard - sorry I forgot to respond to this before. This is certainly a possibility if there is demand. The advantage of course is that panel authors can maintain the codebase for their panel completely without relying on me to handle PRs etc. The downside is that new Tracy users needs to hunt around to find third-party panels so if we take this approach we'll want to make sure to list them all on a dedicated page on the docs site.

Let me know if anyone out there is interested in this.

OK, just released a major new version: 4.12.0

1) New Title/View link in Dump tabs, so ID is edit link and title/name is view link

image.png.4e3e74a1eccf862d03727692811409e6.png

2) New PagePermissions section added to PW Info panel:

image.png.e67e362f0c591f22edc76a11e9600723.png

3) New PHP and custom PW autocomplete snippets added to the Console and File Editor panels. Here's one example, but there are others in the posts prior to this one showing general PHP snippets.

Currently there are two custom PW snippets: pwforeach and pwfind - I'd love to hear what you guys want to see here. If you have new snippet ideas, please take a look at: https://github.com/adrianbj/TracyDebugger/blob/master/scripts/code-snippets.js and feel free to send PRs with new additions.

UPmNZ6c7kf.gif.d0b9e73ed018e3e68fff9876f1e89159.gif

4) Ability to dynamically resize the font in the Console and File Editor panels with:

Increase: CTRL + +/=
Decrease: CTRL + -/_
Reset: CTRL + 0

5) Changes to the way the Console panel divs are structured and resized - please let me know if you see any issues with the results panel protruding beyond the bottom of the panel or any other issues. It's still not perfect, but it's breaking my brain ?

6) Some minor Tracy core updates and also general cleanup of many of the custom panels.

Please let me know if you have any problems with this new version, or ideas for improvements!

• Like 5

Great additions as always! Thanks for the tutorial on building panels, I'll try that when I have an idea for something ?

9 hours ago, adrian said:

Also, do you guys want to contribute snippets to the Tracy core, or would you prefer being able to define your own in a file or in the config settings?

Any thoughts?

IMHO the best would be to have one shared file in the core and one file specific to each user, because habits are different so I think not all snippets will be helpful to everybody. On the other side it would be great (not to say necessary) to be able to define those snippets somewhere shared across multiple installs of tracy, so that we always have all our snippets available.

I think the best option would be to define a web-url (eg github snippet url to a raw file) and pull this file into the pw cache regularly. Everybody could then just push a new snippet to his git account (or on his webserver) and all tracy installations referencing this file would always be up to date with this file.

If you are happy with that idea I can try to implement that feature and do a PR

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, bernhard said:

I think the best option would be to define a web-url (eg github snippet url to a raw file) and pull this file into the pw cache regularly. Everybody could then just push a new snippet to his git account (or on his webserver) and all tracy installations referencing this file would always be up to date with this file.

I was actually thinking along those lines as well, but I do want to encourage PRs to main file that comes with Tracy as well.

But yeah if you want to add support for pointing to a Github gist URL, or any other URL I suppose, I think that would be a nice addition.

I think we should be careful with those snippets. One might find a snippet helpful, another one might find it annoying. If we bloat tracy with snippets it might be counterproductive. I'll see when I find time to dig into that!

• Like 3

Ok, I have implemented the ability to link to your own custom snippets file:

image.thumb.png.8034531982094be4c2829ecdd88a205d.png

If you're using a Github Gist, make sure you use the https://rawgit.com/ service because the raw file from Github is served without the correct mime type and won't work. 

The format of the custom snippet file is like this. Note the getCustomCodeSnippets() compared with the core snippets file which uses getCodeSnippets()

var getCustomCodeSnippets = function() {
    return [
        {
          name: "pwfind",
          content: "d(\\$pages->find(\"template=\${1:basic-page}\")->each(\"\${2:title}\"));",
          tabTrigger: "pwfind"
        },
        {
          name: "pwforeach",
          content: "foreach(\\$pages->find(\"template=\${1:basic-page}\") as \\$p) {\n\td(\\$p);\n}",
          tabTrigger: "pwforeach"
        }
    ]
};

At the moment the custom snippets file is PHP only. I don't think we will ever need other languages for this.

I have also added in the ACE core snippet files for other web related languages so if you use the File Editor panel for JS, CSS, etc, there will now be a bunch of useful snippets for those languages as well.

If you want to peruse the available ACE core snippets, the best way is probably here: https://github.com/ajaxorg/ace/blob/master/lib/ace/snippets/php.snippets 

You can also check out the snippets for other languages in the parent folder of that file.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, adrian said:

What do you guys think of me adding things like this:

To be honest, I would not care too much about it (I guess). I'll have to think of it during further usage of the console. If you implement them, then I'd suggest you implement them in a way that they pull the current api and are always up to date (no idea how hard that would be). Otherwise you'd get plenty of requests to keep everything up to date, I'm afraid. But maybe others think differently...

What annoys me, though, are suggestions like this:

A11PnOr.png

Would it be somehow possible to prevent those suggestions of php functions when I actually want to access an object property/method? Thx

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bernhard said:

If you implement them, then I'd suggest you implement them in a way that they pull the current api and are always up to date (no idea how hard that would be).

Yeah, already done on my dev copy - all PW variables are automatically added to the autocomplete.

bFDXXA2w3E.gif.227e25a80f2a945998748d7021bdadb8.gif

8 hours ago, bernhard said:

What annoys me, though, are suggestions like this:

Agreed - I am working on this - I don't necessarily want to disable php autocompletions completely, but trying to tweak the triggering so it's not invasive when you don't want it.

• Like 2

One might find a snippet helpful, another one might find it annoying. If we bloat tracy with snippets it might be counterproductive.

I agree with Bernhard there. The editor should focus on basic and speed. I think that is what is most loved when editing code.

I noticed that this editor has much lesser lag compared to other editors I use who update edited code through ftp. I like the update speed of this editor when you click on save. I also like that it shows hidden formats like empty space and new line to spot any other format that might got in when copying and pasting code from your own snippets.

The Increase: CTRL + works very nice to increase editors font size.

Also like it a lot that the editors window can sticky float anywhere in the backend window.

I have also added in the ACE core snippet files for other web related languages so if you use the File Editor panel for JS, CSS, etc, there will now be a bunch of useful snippets for those languages as well.

I saw it in action when I was editing some css. I even noticed a little red box with a white cross that indicates typos made when editing. That is just great.

I have been looking a bit for the css where I could change the background of the editor. I assume it is inside the style.css in the module folder. Would also like to style <?php and ?> in blue and bold.

13 hours ago, pwired said:

I agree with Bernhard there. The editor should focus on basic and speed. I think that is what is most loved when editing code.

Agreed - I don't want either the Console panel or FileEditor panel to slow down at all - I'll make sure that any autocomplete/snippet stuff I add doesn't cause any slowdown.

Glad that in general you enjoy using these tools.

13 hours ago, pwired said:

I have been looking a bit for the css where I could change the background of the editor. I assume it is inside the style.css in the module folder. Would also like to style <?php and ?> in blue and bold.

The best way to change the editor color is to use the built in themes. I actually haven't included any other themes with the Tracy package, but I could easily add these and create a new module config setting so you can choose the theme - there are a lot of options - check out the kitchen sink demo (https://ace.c9.io/build/kitchen-sink.html) and try out the Theme dropdown.

• Like 1

check out the kitchen sink demo (https://ace.c9.io/build/kitchen-sink.html) and try out the Theme dropdown.

Hi,

I have been fiddling around in the ace-editor folder inside the TracyDebugger module folder
to find a way to change the theme and font size, but without success.

In the kitchen-sink, for the TracyDebugger editor, how can I change the theme-tomorrow_night into IPlastic with font-size 17 ?

image.png.8e0a7250d5554c759a66237fa74e97d1.png

3 hours ago, pwired said:

I have been fiddling around in the ace-editor folder inside the TracyDebugger module folder
to find a way to change the theme and font size, but without success.

In the kitchen-sink, for the TracyDebugger editor, how can I change the theme-tomorrow_night into IPlastic with font-size 17 ?

I haven't packaged the other themes with Tracy yet, but I can do so if you guys are interested. I initially went with just one theme (my favorite) because I wasn't sure how much use the Console and File Editor panels would get, but given their popularity I think it probably makes sense to include all the themes so you guys can choose what you prefer.

I guess the next question is to figure out whether you guys want to be able to adjust all ACE editor settings via a textarea with key:value pairs or whether I should provide the key settings I think you might want to adjust as dedicated fields in the module settings like I have with the tab size, type and show invisibles settings. What does everyone think?

• Like 1

I haven't packaged the other themes with Tracy yet, but I can do so if you guys are interested.

The TracyDebugger editor can sticky float anywhere and has a full screen toggle which makes it very practical,
so I guess more people are going to pick it up.
Would be nice to have a few themes because everybody experiences different colors as hard colors for the eyes to work with.
Is it difficult to port an Ace theme to TracyDebugger ? Maybe I can help with something ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pwired said:

Is it difficult to port an Ace theme to TracyDebugger ? Maybe I can help with something ?

Thanks but it's super easy. Just before I do I need to decide how to facilitate the various Ace settings like I mentioned above. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, adrian said:

I haven't packaged the other themes with Tracy yet, but I can do so if you guys are interested.

It doesn't look like they are massive (size), so, maybe yes, one or two more. I'm happy with the dark theme, so I am biased ?.

• Like 3

It doesn't look like they are massive (size), so, maybe yes, one or two more.

I think Kongondo has a point there. To prevent bloat creeping in, maybe it would be an idea to leave it up to the user which theme to get inside the ace-editor folder ?

In the ace-editor folder I noticed the file: theme-tomorrow_night.js

Just the possibility to let users change this file manually into another one e.g. theme-iplastic.js, and also manually edit font size, maybe that would be a bloat free solution ?

• adrian pinned and locked this topic
  • adrian unpinned and pinned this topic